Manual confusion! Head hurts!

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Deltalover, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I have been working on this 1969, 85hp Johnson. I have been going through it and replaced all the electronics. It fired right up but needs some fine tuning. I have the omc service manual and Clymer manual. I have needed both to get this far. The Clymar has alot of info that is useful to backyard mech. The omc service manual cant be beat though, as it covers the whole motor in about 50 very expensive pages (45 bucks on e-bay) The dont use three words when one will do! Anyway, I got the motor running, it shifts forward and reverse. Has good compression. I am now trying to fine tune it enought to put a timing light on it. I have made several attempts at following these instructions! I must have read this fifty times while looking at the motor. I am not getting it! The cabel in the remote also need some adjusting, which is further complicating things! It's seems impossible to line cam follower up on both marks at the same time! Can anyone tell me what I am missing in this?
    Synchronizing carburetor and distributor linkage
    Adjust the throttle cam. The center of the cam follower roller must align with the upper mark on the throttle cam just as the throttle begins to open.

Align the marks on the distribator base plate and distribuator cap. If nessasary adjust the spark advance screw.

Adjust the throttle cam yoke so the second mark on the throttle cam is aligned with the center of the cam follower roller
    The marks must remain aligned!
    Thanks!

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Phill, first sinc the carbs so all will close/open together.

Attach an ampliphier clip to the top carb above where linkage hooks up, so you can see when it all starts to move. It's just an aligator clip with a short rod attached.

Disconnect any linkage to the throttle cam so you can move it. Now loosen the cam roller on the carb and move the throttle cam and alighn it's mark with the cam roller, then tighten the roller.

Reconnect the linkage to the throttle cam and move the throttle. When the carbs start to open the mark on the throttle cam should now be aligned with the center of the cam follower roller.

Take two aspirins and get back with me on how that worked out.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    BP STOP IT,!!!!!!!!!:eek:oooh: :tounge_out: I actually understood what you were saying!!!:lol: Have you ever thought about being a manual writer!Good ones are well paid and in demand.Cripes I hope I can resist going home and tearing my OPTIMAX apart.Phils problem is much simpler than that .its impossible to align the marks on the distribator baseplate with the marks on the distribuator cap,when the manual says distributor!!!!!!:cool2: :lol: :big_smile: :eek:oooh:.SorryPhil couldn't resist but you should have good luck following BP instructions.:smile2: :big_smile:

4. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Good thing Bob can read typoneese:lol: ! Bob, you made that sound so simple, even I can understand it! I will let you know how it goes.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Jim, you tear into that Optimax and your on your own.

I didn't go into indexing the flywheel in the sync and link (Syncronizing timing advance with throttle linkage) because without a piston stop tool you couldn't do it.

The manual covers the sync of the carbs. it's fairly easy. Now getting the throttle cam to open the carbs at the right point as the timing advances means everything.

I've got a 50hp Evinrude at the shop that's so screwed up, I'm going to have to start the sync and link process from square 1. The carbs were trashed, so I had to clean them first. Intial setting on the carb low speed adjustment is supposed to be 1 1/2 turns out. This thing won't even fire unless they're turned out 4 1/2 to 5 turns.

The guy wanted to have the idle turned up so it wouldn't stall. I told him if he wanted a half ass fix to take it to someone else. It's still at the shop.

He claims he can't afford to have all this work done, but can afford to travel from his home 100 miles away to the beach for weekends. Did I mention he is a minister. Tell me that ain't a racket.