Manipulative people

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by SouthGADan, Dec 8, 2009.

1. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    Have you ever crossed paths with a manipulative person?

Recently, a young engaged couple who lives across the road has been coming over to our house. Now, this couple claims that they had been going to another church and had both been "born again", which is something my whole family believes in.

The thing is, between the Friday that they first came over, and today (the following Tuesday), $100 worth of two already endorsed checks have gone missing. Both of these items, unfortunately, were at one time left somewhere that these people have been by, and a sneaky person could have easily taken them. Add that to the fact that my mom hardly ever misplaces anything, especially anything to do with money.

Maybe I'm too cynical, but I'm not yet buying into their story. Again, I believe people can be born again, and I really hope that is the case here, but it smells fishy to me. Both of them were at our church Sunday, and they've both been asking my dad questions about scripture (simple things, not like they're trying to disprove it), which is what you'd expect from people who've recently became Christians and have never been to church before.

The guy was talking about how he and her read the Bible together at night; he appears to be an excellent mechanic, and has even done some work for us. The girl has been getting rid of some old clothes and giving them to us. Now, I know that the girl has in the past been on drugs (had her child taken away because of them) and has stolen things. To be honest, I wouldn't expect her friends to be any different, if she is indeed the same person she's always been. I could see how sneaky, manipulative people could make up a story like that, give things to, and do things for someone to try to earn their trust; it all has the makings of an elaborate scam. On the other hand, it could all be a coincidence.

We've talked to both of the people who wrote us the checks, and if the checks clear their accounts, it won't be by us, so we'll have it pretty narrowed down. If the checks are indeed lost, at least we'll have a new-found awareness of security. I really want to believe their story, but we're gonna play it safe until we are sure.

I hope they're not just manipulative people, but have any of you had experiences with manipulative people? What do ya'll think about my situation?

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    dang

as Christians we are expected to tove them even IF THEY DID take the checks...but hat dont make it any easier does it lol

3. festus

festus New Member

Yeah, sometimes it takes longer for someone to clean up their lives, especially when they've been on drugs or booze.

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John

Daniel You seem like a Fine young Man and one that I would be proud to call my friend.Now I'm not no born again kind of guy,I Drink,Smoke and use Foul language.Don't go to Church much unless I'm burying a Friend or attending a wedding and will probably end up in Hell.But Ask them folks ifin they stole them checks and if you find out that not to be the truth throw there Ass in jail !!! Tough Love Brother is what it's called,J.D.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  5. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    you're assuming they did it.why?because of their past.look at your friends,they could have a hidden agenda too.this is one of the reasons i no longer go to church.if something goes wrong the holier than thou crowd wants to automatically blame the one with a past or the one thats in the most need.i believe,but i choose not to believe with a bunch of hypocrits.yall are assuming they did it with no proof.some of your friends or even family members could be the manipulative ones.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The first no brainer ,Why would you have an endorsed check lying around?? I never endorse a check,till I'm standing at the teller window. Leaving something like that in view,will try any that aren't good intentioned folks.

7. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i hope your mom just lost the checks, however if they are the only ones with access to them other than you, i wouldn't cast first stone without a little proof. however i would not leave anything like that lying around them any longer. also i would probably not leave anything like that lying around at all.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    This is simple.
    Keep their ass out of the house.

Usually your gut is right. Too many people ignore gut.

9. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    my case its u sually just gas

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Proof Proof Proof. You have no proof.Your jumping at conclusions because of ones past and your family mistakes of pre signing checks. If God has forgiven them then you need to forgive and forget. If you find out that they actually did this then call them over and handle it the Christian Way. You know what I mean.

11. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.If they did take the money they would be scarce for at least a while after.Me and Mickey have got on this topic before about losing things.lol I have gotten mad as a hornet thinking someone has stolen something only to find it a month later.I usualy find it while looking for something else I misplaced.I would not even ask them about it yet , the last thing a person seeking salvation needs to think is that the religious are paranoid.I would wait until I had proof.Hopefuly by that time the money will be found .If you find out they did take it , I would then do whatever I could within the law.Good luck

12. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    There has to be a local check clearing company like telecheck or checkrite. Find those companies and report those checks stolen to them and to the police. When they try to cash them they will be caught red handed.

13. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    set a trap on them too see if they are thefs.

14. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

IMO, everyone has made good points. I suppose if I was wary about someone entering my home because of what I thought they might have done, I wouldn't let them in again either. I WOULD manage to mention that some checks have come up missing, and that my family is investigating to figure out what happened. I'd say I look forward to seeing them at church on Sunday, etc. None of that would be a lie in your case Daniel. Maybe a little manipulative. :wink:

15. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    I really do hope they show up for church Sunday, no matter what they have done or haven't done.
    That's the thing JEFFRO. Deep down I know that's what I'd have to do, but boy, it sure would be tough.

I am well aware of the "holier-than-thou" attitudes, and that is why I tried to make it abundantly clear that I am NOT assuming, only suspecting. If I were assuming, I would have confronted them about it. The only reason I'm even suspicious is for the simple fact that they were the only people other than our family who were even in our house during that time period (unless someone broke in and took no other valuables); their past is just the icing on the cake. I don't think we're going to go as far as not letting them in, but we'll be sure that they stay in the public rooms, as whith anyone else who we don't really know, and that there is nothing sensitive in those rooms.

Don't get me wrong, I really hope the check is merely lost, and that they have indeed changed their lives. The last thing I want to do is jump to conclusions and hurt someone who's done nothing wrong. I've just been really troubled by the whole thing. I hate to be taken advantage of, but on the other hand, I really hate to jump to any conclusion. I guess I'm stuck in the middle for now, but you guys have shown me some different ways of looking at it, and I appreciate that.

16. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
  17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Put a sign by the door. Thieves shot on the spot christian or not.

18. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I wish I could... mine hangs out till I can't see my feet..:smile2:

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You learn an important thing on the farm.
    You keep your tractor under a shelter or in a garage.

20. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Simple. Torture is appropriate here. Water usually works good. Some subtle water gimmicks work good, ask the CIA.

Personally, I would chose the smaller of the two, so ya can handle 'em. Get a good solid washtub fill it with water. Grab the smaller of the two and hold his/her/it's head under water until they turn purple then jerk it out and start asking questions. Repeat as necessary. Tell them you are just re-baptizing them in God's name.

Praise the Lord. Amen.