Managing a pond

Discussion in 'Pond Fishing' started by NewMexicoCatfisher, Oct 1, 2008.

1. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    My parents recently bought a new cabin with 80 acres of land. On the land is a few ponds. All of which have bass, crappie, catfish, carp and a few trout on the higher elevation ones. The bass in the ponds are extremely skinny. There isn't much food, my dad wants to stock some baitfish, what kind are best???:confused2:

2. Bossofbeefbowl

Bossofbeefbowl New Member

State:
    Hanover Park,IL
    I'm asumming there's bluegill already in these ponds.If not you can never go wrong tossing some of them in there obviously.If they are all connected,because that's a lot of land I'd say some fathead minnows would be perfect.Minnows make great bait for crappie and bass.Carp will eat anything so you need not worry about them.I've never really found a pond they're in that they can't survive on their own.If the only catfish is bullhead I'd say start eating a lot of bullhead for dinner because they seem to enjoy taking over ponds.I'd rather have a pond overtaken with bluegill than bullhead.

That said,I'm from Illinois,in which different fish live and survive so I'm sure someone with a more regional look can tell you something more specific.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'd stock a bunch of minnows and bluegill. That'll take care of all of them.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    While you can certainily get some excellent ideas here on this board, I would recommend that you (or your parents) contact your county agent, assuming that you have them in your state. If you don't have them, contact the state fisheries biologist. These people are educated and trained for just thiat type of thing, and their salaries are paid by tax dollars. From what my extended family has been told by the county agent about their pond, it's a balance of species, numbers, and water care, which may involve removing weeds, getting weeds to grow, fertilizing the pond, etc.

5. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
  6. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico

My Uncle is a Fisheries Manager for the state, so he is gonna come check it out.

And the ponds are not attached in anyway, just fed by springs