Managed Recoil Ammo

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by katfish ken, Dec 29, 2008.

1. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Have you ever used managed recoil Ammo and what is your opinion???

2. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Rem web site!
    Managed-Recoil™
    [​IMG]
    Half the recoil. Twice the Confidence.
    For years, shooters have wished for and hand-loaders have attempted to create a lower recoil load – usually by simply reducing the amount of gunpowder. The results did create less kick, but at the expense of bullet expansion and on-game performance. For many years, the gap between low recoil and effective hunting performance seemed an insurmountable one. That is, until now.

New Managed-Recoil Centerfire Ammunition delivers the trusted Remington® field proven hunting performance out to 200 yards with half the recoil. How? Through a specialized new bullet that was developed specifically to perform at these cartridge’s velocity levels. These bullets are optimized to provide 2x expansion with over 75% weight retention on shots inside of 50 yards and out to 200 yards. The end result is a high performance bullet optimized to provide the on-game results you've come to expect from Remington Ammunition with just half the felt recoil.

I have never used it and can say at about 100%, I will not try them cause I shoot a Weatherby Mag!

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I don't think they make them for your gun.

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have tried them in .270 and 7mm Mag for the kids. They are kinder and gentler for someone who's recoil shy or just learning how to shoot a bigger calliber. They seemed accurate also. Just not alot of bullet selection offered from what I remember when buying them.

5. Whistling Dixie

Whistling Dixie New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ken,
    I do have some first hand knowledge of this cartridge class. Two years ago I was hunting South Texas and one of the teen age hunters there was shooting 30-06 reduced recoil loads. The boy and his father sat a high blind on saturday morning in a slight fog and one of the ranch cull deer showed up. The boy took aim and fired at the buck. I was hunting the adjacent stand and heard the bullet hit meat. When the ranch owner picked me up we went to the next stand and picked up the boy and his father. His dad thought he missed but I knew better. The ranch owner and I are old friends and experienced trackers and there wasn't a single drop of blood anywhere. Based on the fact that I heard the bullet hit, we fanned out and searched the entire area. There were several of us so we we were able to cover a lot of ground. The terrain there was fairly open and allowed for us to search thoroughly. About two hundred yards out one of the other hunters stumbled onto the deer. He was shot through the left shoulder and the bullet did not exit. This was a 3 1/2 year old deer weighing 185 live weight. To say the least I was not impressed with the penetration power of the load. The bullet was a core-lokt and I have seen a trainload of game killed with this bullet from normal power loads. I think the reduced recoil loads are nice for practice and extended range sessions however their less than stellar field performance has steered me away from them for actual hunting. I do think they have their place as a practice and training round. They would probably be good for does or smaller deer. Just my 2 cents.

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Robbie
    That was about what I had figured. Its no surprise to hear this report. I suppose range might be a factor as well.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I allways just figured that if ya needed less recoil,go to a different gun. That bad performance doesnt tell me much ,except that the lower powered loads might not be suitable on direct shoulder hits. I bet a heart or lung shot would have had a way different ending. also the range wasn't stated ,Which leads me to wonder also.

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Nobody would question the effectiveness of the .30-30 Win on deer-sized game, yet .308 (for instance) 125 gr managed recoil delivers more downrange energy than the .30-30 with 150 gr CoreLoct.

Sometimes, there just isn't much blood, even with full power loads. It just happens. It's the price you pay for hunting with something that won't destroy half of your meat.

I would need to hear much more than a single account of "failure" in the field before I dismissed the loads entirely.

9. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo

Your right about that one, theres no low recoil rounds for mags!:eek:oooh:

10. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I have mixed feeling about the deduced loads. I guess they are just not for me. Some people just want to be able to say they shoot a heavy cal. when what they really want is a 30-30. Like .223 reload said, Id rather pick the right tool in the first place.

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I wasn't really downing the ammo because of one account. Just figured the bad part would be the first to come out. I have never tried it but was curious if anyone had. My boys both started out on my 308win. and the are big enough to shoot shoulder mount cannons now. They both know shot placement for the most part is more important than caliber of the rifle. I still like the old 30/30 for deer hunting. The biggest deer hanging on my wall was taken with the 30/30. and was a 1 shot kill.

12. Whistling Dixie

Whistling Dixie New Member

State:
    Texas
    I did forget to mention the range, it was less than 100 yards. And yes it's true had the boy hit behind the shoulder instead of through it the bullet would have most likely passed through easily. My biggest problem is that the cartridge is being touted as reduced recoil but some people may not realize that the penetration potential is also reduced. In addition, in south Texas the deer are the biggest in the state and have the largest antlers. It's common practice to "break down" a buck by shattering the shoulders. IMO this round is not adequate for this practice. :tounge_out:

13. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    I wanted managed recoil 12 ga. ammo... . I ordered slugs and 00 buck and tried them out.... Fact they work for what they were intended for but they won't work in my short barrel auto loader.... without gun modification... :cool2: I will have to stick to full power loads so my gun works correctly. But if I had a pump shot gun this would be a different story. :embarassed: