Man What On Earth Am I Doin Wrong

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by field989, Aug 18, 2006.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    ok i have went squirrel hunting in this woods about 4 times this week AND NOT A SINGLE SQUIRREL!!!!

ITS GOT ME SUPER MAD/AND BUMMED lol

it sucks

ok heres what i do...

i go in the woods about 20 yards and sit down for about 45min-1HR

and i wait for them to start cutting... and what not...

BUT I CANT HEAR/SEE ANY OF THEM!!!!!!

but i think im just gonna go and sit in my tree stand and wait for them cause i know there are AT LEAST 2 SQUIRRELS OVER THERE!!!!!!

heck thats the only thing i can think of to do....

OR just grab my pellet gun and do some squirrel control at my GMA's house or my dads house...

HECK I DUNNO

PLEASE HELP

Jeff

HECK maybe i should grab my .17 and head out instead of the FULLY MODIFIED RUGER 10/22 lol

2. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    jeff, i always look on ground around all the nut trees and find there they are cutting and sit around that area. if you find fresh cutting's you should see some squirrel's. hope this help's and good luck.

3. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    go to your gma's house,cut the trees down and when u see them running shoot'em but be prepared to buy new trees for your gma :):lol:

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I usually like to walk more than sit. Heres a little trick that sometimes works. Take two quarters and rub the edges together. SKinny part to skinny part. On the outside edges there are ridges, when rubbed together they sound like a squirrel cutting. Ive had them dang near land on top of me when they come running, good luck.

5. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    In my opinion sitting is the hardest way to bag squrriels. you have to wait for them to come to you, i prefer to go to them. just walk the woods SLOWLY, stopping every 10-15 to look around and listen. when you see one stand real still. if he goes around to the back of a tree like most do, grab a log/big stick and throw it around the tree. the squrriel will immediatly come rushing to your side. then you can blow him away. If you are still hunting, i find it most productive to use a squrriel in distress call.(if its legal where you are)
    good luck

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    wish I had that issue during deer season

7. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i usually do the most of my squirrel hunting while walking(slowly). what time of day do you go. i usually do the best in the late evening or early morning. especially when it is so hot.

8. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    when sitting i'd try a squirrel call, like a bark or a squeak.....i didnt believe in them till i saw them work one time....but i like to walk around

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Those squirrel calls work real well!!! I have hunted some woods that you were real lucky to even see a squirrel before he spotted you. These woods are hunted heavily so it makes them very weary of any movement in the woods. I just walk slowly through the woods till I find fresh cuttings on the ground under the trees and set for about 30 minutes(not moving a bit). Then start barking the squirrel call for a few seconds and stop for another 5 minutes then bark it again,They will come running to see what another squirrel is doing in their territory. Keep your eyes on the ground and the trees at the same time. I know this sounds strange to say but you have to stay focused on everything within your parifial vision. After you have shot the first squirrel,Wait for 5 minutes and bark the call again, remember which direction he came from, most likely the next one will take the same path. I have killed as many as five off of the same limb and never moved from the original spot that i sat down in. It is not hard to do, you simply have to look in a direction and not focus on a single spot. I have done this for years and it has done me well. I have bagged many squirrels using a call along with this method. I hope this helps!!!

10. Darrell

Darrell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Man this works 100% of the time. Keep your eye on the weather forcast. All you have too do is mark some walnut trees that the squirrels have been cutting on. Wait for a rain storm to come in and soak the leaves. Sneek in there just after it blows by and you will see a ton of squirrels drinking water off of the leaves and cutting nuts like crazy. I use a winchester 94-22 with 22 shorts. I can ease my way through the woods and crack the heck out of them. WORKS EVERY TIME GUARANTEED!!!

MAJ D

11. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i got one of those knight and hale squirrel calls....

its 3 calls in one....

distress
    bark for fox and grey
    and another one....

i need to find that cd again lmao

ill bring it next time which will hopefully this weekend
    and ill bring 2 quarters

Jeff

12. bobact

bobact New Member

State:
    Indiana
    This is how I start out. I prefer mornings. I try to get into the woods just before it's light enough to shoot. I'll go into the woods a ways and sit until it's light enough to see. That gives the woods time to quiet down. I don't care how careful you are you will still make noise just getting into the woods. Then I get up and move 5-15 steps depending on how quiet the forest floor is. I really like foggy mornings. I can't see as well as I used to but I can still hear them cutting. Watch for fresh cuttings.
    Here in southern IN they are hitting the Beech really hard. They are also working on white oak and a few hickory but mostly Beech.
    The tree rats might be living where you are hunting but more than likely they move out early to where the nuts are the best. You'll have to move around to find'em and then start sitting up.

13. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Do you remember all the mornings sitting waiting for the deer to come by your stand?

There you were sitting there all dressed up in your blaze orange and little four legged tree climbers running across the forest floor from tree to tree. They would stop and bark at you from time to time and all the while you were afraid they would warn the deer of you being there.

Get back in your deer stand all dressed up for deer and you will be covered up with tree rats again. "Surprise" little tree rats...it's squirrel season !

It works better than any squirrel call.

Try it you will like it...I guarantee it !!!!

Jesse

14. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    put some corn out amd next year u'll have a ton more nestin around where u laid the corn,,,, we always hunt near a corn feild and nut tree's.

15. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    There is nothing closer to the truth than that Jesse. How about Turkey season, them boogers get right into my ground blind:angry: :angry: