Man what a lovely day to burn?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by FS Driver, Mar 1, 2006.

1. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    today here in illinois it was about 70 degrees with a bit of a breeze.
    spring is right around the corner.
    well to get to what this title is all about ,it seems like every time there is a nice pretty day when people that have been cooped up and stayin indoors alot seem to want to get out and burn trash ,yardwaste, you name it and ruin the clean air for the rest of us.
    we have a strict burn law in our town that i wish would get stricter.if your out in the country with a large piece of land between you and everyone else so be it but in the city i think its rude and obnoxious to burn.
    anyone else feel that way?a few weeks back when it was chilly and cold
    no one was burning now that its nice to be outside they want to stink the town up. i think it sucks:mad:

2. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    I love the smell of burning leaves.:)

3. r_bray89

r_bray89 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    yep here in kansas it is the 3rd day in the 70s but they say that there is a cold front comin in. It was 80 today ohhhhhhhhhh man it is nice out!!!!!!!!!!:) :) :) :) :) :) can believe it.

4. GrainDrain

GrainDrain New Member

State:
    Texas
  5. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

DRC, SOUTHERN Illinois was up to 70, we barely made 50 today:p

Ray

6. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    I prefer the smell of burning weed my self but, to each his own... :rock-big:

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Almost 80 here today.

Monday I scalped my lawn and burn the grass cuttings at the edge of the lake. They began raising the lake level Sunday... in a few more days there will be no place to burn leaves or grass cuttings until next November.

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I dont doubt it one bit.....but what exactly kind of weeds are we talking about??????:frk-big:

9. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    I thought i seen red eyes behind them glasses

10. Outlw36

Outlw36 New Member

State:
    Prineville, Oregon
    You're right it was a good day to burn. I better do that tomorrow and get some the stuff accumulating here thinned out. Thanks for the reminder.

11. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i see i am alone on this:rolleyes:
    oh well i have been alone before so nothings new here.:p

12. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    It's OK Darryl. Alone (and bogarting) is a wonderful thing. LOL

13. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Darryl, we have a burn ban here in most of the state of Texas. But I know what ya mean about stinkin' up the air. I've got a ol'lady behind my house and she burns everything (even with a burn ban going on). The smoke always seems to come through my back yard. I have to shut the windows cause it comes into the house. Just when I thought I could air out the house, she fires up her drum of trash and I've got to shut the windows.
    My wife called the law on her awhile back and the cop told my wife not to worry about it, the ol' lady has been doing it for years. Well....... NO SH*+ ! We've been here for years....

14. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Here in the Upstate seems like the Feds have been eyeballin' the air quality pretty closely - particle contaminants are too high. So the state is looking at how to reduce them, and are thinking about increased burn restrictions, and pollution created by businesses. Already the alarmists (read - lobbyists) are saying that if the state increases air quality standards, businesses will leave by the droves. Personally, I want clean air (and water).

15. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Darrel,
    If you need any help getting a fire started, just let us know.:cool:

16. jcozee1

jcozee1 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Same here darryl. here in east central IL people did the same thing. We had nothi but low 40's to low 50's and we finally had a nice day about 70 to 80 and all over town was nothin but the smell of people burnin crap. Here, stinkin up the town is not hard to do, cuz my town has only about 450 people in it so imagine how small that is.

17. Darrell

Darrell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    What the heck are you guys complaining about. You should see some of the stuff they burn over here! There are literally mounds of trash, water bottles, food containers ect ect. We are not talking about bags of trash now, we are talking about mounds as large as several trash trucks parked side by side. When the fire is finally out there is ussually a corpse or two at the bottom.

God I love America!

Darrell

18. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    You know, in a few years, you'll be an ol'man. :D

19. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    It wont be long before we can't even burn wood in the fireplace anymore! Even the pellet stoves are on there way out! As for burning leaves and stuff, thats been out for 30 years around here! We use to burn our trash when I was a kid! I think that it's good there are restrictions on what we put in the air, but sadly, the burning leaves and fire places are pretty much just a memory!

20. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    DRC,
    I have a love of burning in the yard. My neighbors hate me too! But when they do it, I hate them, so it's a love hate relationship. Funny how you can avoid the smell when you are burning but if someone else is burning, you can't. Had I not been sick, I would have been out there yesterday burning too. See I have forest trees in my back yard. They stand at least 150 ft. high and I always am still burning leaves until spring. What else am I going to do with them?

I burn lots of bush trimmings at Mom's. As I am the one that has to do it, except for Sept, when I make my Brother from CA trim them, I have to burn the trimmings too. Since she doesn't live far from me, then my neighbors still hate me, unknowingly. LOL.

I think my love of having outdoor burns came from my youth. We used to have keg parties in the mountains when we were in high school. I was always the fire starter, stoker and keeper. It became an addiction of sorts, I guess from that. The keg parties in the mountains are still my fondest memories of my high school years. Lately I have ran into more people from high school than I ever have over the last 31 years. One lady and I talked about how no one goes to the reunions. We jokeingly said, bet we could get more to come to a reunion if we had one of those old keg parties. We talked about how we had such a good time, never killed each other or even thought about it. If there was a fight, it was mostly in fun and ended up still with friendship. We may have been under age drinking but we weren't into what the kids are today. We were into having a fun time. Listening to the music, looking at the stars on top of that mountain, and being left alone. We didn't bother anyone and they didn't bother us. We were so isolated on that mountain top we had to look out for one another and we knew it. Since it was Federal land, it's a wonder we never went to jail. But those times of bonding may be what made us different than the next generations that came along after us.

Sorry I wrote a book. Anyway, I'm with you but I'm not. Does that make sense? Of course, I don't live in town. You can't burn in town here, without a permit and certain hours. Of course you're not suppose to burn here outside of the city without a permit, except from April 15 to Oct. 15., but no one gets a permit.
    Cheryl