Man what a day. - They're Biting Part 2

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Nobody Special, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I went back this morning to check my lines. What a mess. I had used small head rocks on them so it would be easier for me to pull them up when I finished. Well, there were some BIG fish on them and they had moved the head rocks and there was all kinds of slack in the lines. I had 2 fish over 20 lbs. and 2 about 30-35 lbs. and no telling what had been on there last night and got off.

I released all four of the big ones and kept about 15 smaller fish. I ended up having to cut about a 20 foot section from one line because it was tangled so bad where one of the big fish wrapped up in it. I also had two drops broken off of one line. If it wasn't due to a defect in the line, then there was a hell of a fish on there sometime last night.

After I got them cleaned this morning, I noticed a lot of very small muscle shells on my cleaning table. I don't know which fish they came from. I only caught two channels and the rest were blues.

Can't beat those old 99 cent Elm Hill Dinner Delight weenies for fish bait..

2. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Grumpy, sorry about the trotline mess, but sounds like you had good results. I'm glad to hear the bite is starting to pick up in that area. I'm planning on giving lock B a chance pretty soon.

3. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Man Thats great Grumpy...Every post i read this morning makes me want to go to the River..LOL

4. Nobody Special

State:
    TN
    I've fished three or four times in the last couple of weeks with rod & reel using dip bait and haven't done much good. There hasn't been much current in the river either. I was surprised at the way they were biting on the trotlines. About 15 lbs. was the biggest I ever caught on a trotline before today.

I also put out some limblines a couple of weeks ago along a rocky bank that used to produce a lot of cats during spawing season and didn't do any good with that either.

5. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Are you fishing the Tennessee River?

6. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    "Can't beat those old 99 cent Elm Hill Dinner Delight weenies for fish bait.."

My ex-wife tried to feed me those once. She said they were "gourmet" dogs. Wow, they were awful. I thought she was trying to poison me.

Come to find out she was feeding me catfish bait.

7. Nobody Special

State:
    TN
    Cumberland River downstream from Lock C

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Sounds good.
    All the weight I use is bricks. One at the bank and then 12 hooks and a half of a brick then after the next 12 hooks theres a whole brick again.
    And don't have any problems with ours moving.
    Also i fish Jumper lines. put them out late in the evening and take them back up in the am.
    Pete

9. Tennfisher

Tennfisher New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey ShilohRed, Trotliines and limblines I know, but what is a "jumper line"? I am a neophyte here. Thanks in advance. :confused2:

Tennfisher

10. skip_jack

skip_jack New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    Hey guys,
    I haven't posted in a bit, but i was up by Cheatham Dam 2 weeks ago. We were using shad i caught at the steam plant via cast net. As soon as they opened the gates at the dam, my brother and I caught 3 fair size channel cats, 2@3lbs, 1@5lbs. Haven't seen any blues yet, but we're going back out there this Wedensday night after he gets off work. I'll probably park out at the pay parking by the ramp just below the dam. I'll keep ya posted.

11. russ4429

russ4429 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jason -

Good to hear that you're catching fish...even if they're little. I'm still over here in that country where it's hard to catch fish. Can't seem to keep the bait fresh...sand gets all over everything....lol. Should be home by mid-August. I look forward to getting some good fishing in this fall when the weather cools off.....although I'm sure when I get home in August, 90 degrees will be cool compared to what it was today. We hit 122 at around 2pm this afternoon.

Stock up on the bait....we'll need it when I get back. Hope the family is doing well. Talk to you soon.

Bailey