Man missing in the Ohio River

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by OhioRiver, Aug 5, 2009.

1. OhioRiver

OhioRiver New Member

State:
    Indiana
    [FONT=ARIAL, SANS SERIF]Man missing in river[/FONT]
    [FONT=ARIAL, SANS SERIF]Heavy storms hit Indiana, Kentucky[/FONT]

[FONT=ARIAL, SANS SERIF]By Staff, Wire Services[/FONT]

[FONT=ARIAL, SANS SERIF]A Madison man was missing this morning after being pulled under the water while attempting to retrieve a pole he had dropped.

Phillip Geyman, 61, was assisting others in moving debris away from a private boat dock at the 600 block of West Vaughn Drive on Tuesday night when he lost control of the pole he was using, according to the Madison Police Department.

The pole drifted 50 feet down stream before becoming lodged six feet from the shore. Geyman entered the water to retrieve the pole before going under, resurfacing once before going under again, police said.

The river stage this morning was 432.2 feet, 5.2 feet higher than Tuesday

Officers from the Indiana Conservation Department and the Milton, Ky. Water Rescue Team assisted in the search.
    [/FONT]

2. justAwatcher

justAwatcher New Member

State:
    Central Indiana
    These are sad stories. Prayers for his family are sent their way

3. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Is a shame, my heart goes out to him and family.

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It is a terrible tragedy for someone to loose their life that way, Thoughts & Prayers go out to his family.

5. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Truly sad... this is becoming something we hear of way too often! People have to start using a little better judgement and common sense.

Prayers to his family!

6. Critter Getter

Critter Getter New Member

State:
    Elnora, Indiana
    There has been way too many of these this week. My thoughts and prayers go out to this mans family

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sad loss. Thoughts and Prayers for the family and friends.

8. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Its a sad deal thoughts and prayers

I saw a guy putting a 14 ft jon boat in the ohio yesterday there were trees as long as semis floatin by some people don't use there head when mother nature hits.

9. JUMPER

JUMPER New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    Sad loss I believe he was recovered this afternoon near Hanover.

10. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Truely a sad situation. Thanks for the update an glad they did find em. Now the families can rest some what easier.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  11. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Prayers to his family!

12. kottacat

kottacat New Member

State:
    New Albany indiana
    .best wishes to that guys family. That happens here in the louisville area alot. And its usually a fisherman that finds them washed up on shore. :sad2:and half the time its a fisherman that the river takes. The ohio river is not to be taken lightly.

13. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    You are right! The mighty Ohio river can be a beast at times. I have 16ft tracker and I fish this river a few times a year. My biggest fears are the strong current and barge traffic. I am always cautious on this river and a little nervous at the same time. It saddens me to hear the loss of life in these situations. Prayers go out to the families.

14. kottacat

kottacat New Member

State:
    New Albany indiana
    ALOT of people take 14' 15' 16' jon boats out on the ohio-and theres nothing wrong with that-as long as you use common sense and have a good understanding of the river. I grew up boating and fishing on the river with family and friends and believe me-that river can be more careless and unforgiving than your worst enemy. I hate to hear about yet another person losing there life to the ohio. I'll tell ya-just use your brain!