Man, it's great to be perfect...

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by BKS72, Jul 25, 2008.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    It's great to be perfectly content. I'm content to catch fish and I'm content to release them. I'm happy that I have the mental faculties to read, understand, and apply what I've read about biology and ecosystems in my fishing. I'm perfectly content to clean smaller fish when I want to eat fish and release big ones all the time.

I'm also perfectly content to state my views on catch and release, popular or not. I'm also content to say that I find it hilarious that some of the same people who gripe about catfishing not being treated as a sport are sometimes the same ones who get in a twist when something is said about harvesting trophy fish. Shoot, there are people who represent organizations that are supposed to be about preservation of the fishery who react like that. Is it a sport, where the resource is respected or is it a source of food where as long as it's legal it's ok?

I'm perfectly OK with whatever is said about me and my views in the posts to come, because I've said what I think is right and I have the science and common sense as a basis for thinking I'm right.

Like I said, it's great to be perfect. Have a good evening,

Branden

2. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Uhhh, I guess I missed something somewhere. But congratulations on your perfectness Brandon. I doubt however you must be perfect to believe in CPR. And I doubt that you would be convicted of war crimes if you actually cleaned and ate a fish.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    You did... Over in the Truman Tailrace thread... An unimpressive photo of big, dead fish.:roll_eyes:

I'm with Branden - I'll continue to let folks know what I think about killing big fish and I'll continue to put forth a logical, sound argument in favor of releasing big fish whenever I have the chance. If folks get their feathers ruffled, then so be it.

I fully expect that some folks won't change their habits no matter how good the argument against them is - there are people who know what they know and don't want to be confused by the facts. And that's a shame.

But there are also a lot of folks who will stop and think a bit and realize that doing something just because you've "always done it that way" doesn't make it right.

4. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    It is sad but true. Somehow common sense doesnt work for too many people today. If i 5 lb fish will lay a thousand eggs, how many will a 20 pounder lay??? And once a fish reaches 20 lbs he only has one enemy. That would be us. He is well on his way to record size and can only reach it if we let him. Maybe that is too simple. We need a college graduate with a lot of ten dollar words and very complex details to explain it to some. :sad2::eek:oooh::embarassed:

5. catfishsafari

catfishsafari New Member

State:
    missouri
    WOW! Brandon if you think your perfect you should meet Marty!!:crazy:.

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'm trying to get him to give me "perfectness" (word?) lessons, but he's always busy:smile2:

7. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I'm just astonished that I have met Branden on several occasions and he just NOW brings this to my attention! A perfect being.....I feel so lucky to have shaken his hand! :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

I agree Branden, anyone that knows me knows I support CPR 110%, no matter how big the fish is.

8. GUP

GUP New Member

State:
    Washington, MO
    Mr T said it best, some folks are set in their ways and nothing you say, do, show, or prove to them will change their thinking or habits. In the past I didn't practice catch and release but I do see the benefits and do practice it now...Well, I will if I can ever catch one over 15lbs this year. That is the "number" I have selected for myself. I rarely keep any fish anyway, if I do they are small ones. I just love the thrill and fun of going out on the river and trying to catch them. I support CPR 100% also.

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I'm not perfect yet, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express one time.

10. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    People who fish and practice CPR and only keep the smaller ones to eat. Respect the re-newable resource and GOD'S given right to fish. Now to me that's PERFECT!:wink:

Mark..

11. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo

:smile2::smile2::smile2: funny stuff gary :smile2::smile2::smile2:

your my hero of the day o man still cracking up lmao

12. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Ya know? I'm gonna say this as just a fisherman. Not as a staff member, so please don't look at it like I'm representing the BOC with this. But I see and hear you guys all the time talking Conservation, Common Sense, stating your opinions and beliefs. I gotta say that shoving your idea of what's right or wrong with no real evidence that you are right, down another man's throat when he is following all the laws of the land, and his own conscious, is much worse in my opinion than them keeping any amount of fish. Just because you say it, don't make it so. And if you show me a study done on a single body of water and expect me to believe that it applies to every body of water here in the U.S. then I'd say you are very gullible. Especially if you have been fishing for very few years and have no knowlege of how different two fisheries can be. It's easy as hell to jump on someone else's bandwagon and try to look cool in the eyes of a few, but it's plainly and openly ludicrous to piss the world off simply because you think that your way of thinking is absolutely correct and nobody else's is nor could be. I want someone to tell me the difference between someone on this site criticising someone else on the open forum for keeping a big catfish, and PETA showing pictures of you hunting and calling you a murderer. It's their opinion and they feel it should be yours, right? There is no difference. I think it's time to take a look at your tactics of preaching your belief system and see if you aren't making us all look bad in the eyes of anyone that happens to visit us as a guest. All they see without knowing anyone here is a bunch of bickering going on. Nothing else. I practice CPR all the time. I never keep a fish over 10 lbs. But I have a big problem with anyone telling me what to do, and I am sure any of you would too. If the law says it's OK, then they are not wrong. It's that simple. You may not like it, but that's how it is. And if they're not wrong, then should we as a club allow the attacks to continue? Something to think about. I sure do hate it that I have to appear as confused as all of you do, when I'm not. I fish for me, not you and not anyone else. I do what I do because I believe in what I've seen and heard others do..right here on this site and probably before many of you were even members here. Not because someone attempted to shove what they think is right down my throat. If that had ever happened to me, I'd never have stayed here, and guess what, I'd still be fishing every weekend, just like I do now and keeping everything I catch. Just like I used to do. And with the knowlege of how to catch the big fish that I learned here and how it's paid off for me? That would be a lot of fish taken from our river. An awful lot of fish. Multiply that times even 4 just here on my river. Think about that, then keep on posting perfect stuff like this. I don't want this to piss anyone off, I want this to make some of you think about what you're doing. There are many ways to spread the word, I just don't think alienating people away from our club is the right way. Keep them here and educate them. If they learn, great. If not, well you did all you could. Get the laws changed and then it's easy, til then it's simply up to each individual to decide what's right and wrong, ethically or otherwise. Thanks, now I'm back to being a mod. LOL

13. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    One of the best post I've seen on this subject Bryan. Thanks!!

14. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    very well put i couldnt agree with you more!!!!!!

100 % right on the money

15. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew
    I would hate to see what this planet would be like if every person interpreted it that way. Like a lot of things in this country, just because the law says its OK doesn't mean its the right thing to do. But again, the hard part is getting people to "want to be educated".

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I don't need a study to know that killing a big fish reduces the number of big fish in that body of water.

I also don't need a study to know that small fish outnumber big fish by many orders of magnitude in every single body of water in the country - we all have the anecdotal evidence to prove it: every one of us catches dozens if not hundreds of small fish for every one big fish we put in the boat (except for crazy, of course...:wink:). So how can that be if the big fish are equally numerous? Just bad luck?

If you look back at my posts on the subject of CPR, I think you'll find that (for the most part), all I've done is try to present a logical argument in favor of releasing big fish and asking folks to consider changing the way they fish, for the benefit of themselves, their fellow fishermen and the generations that follow. Am I a fisheries biologist? No, I'm not, but I've done enough research to feel pretty confident that my reasoning is correct, not just for one body of water but for all of them.

My usual policy, when someone posts a picture of the big fish they killed, is to just ignore it - you won't get a "congratulations" or a "thank you" from me. But if I see an opportunity to explain how releasing those big fish next time might improve the fishery for everyone, I'll take it.

You can call that "shoving my ideas down another man's throat" if you want. But the one thing I won't do is stand idly by and condone a way of fishing that's just as outdated as dumping your motor oil in the ditch.

17. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Whistler, that was one of the best replies to a post I have seen. I agree with you 100%. Thanks for the post.

18. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    My thinking is that it’s a really fine line between education and attacking somebody, one that none of us can walk perfectly. Some folks are simply hypersensitive to anything about catch and release because they think it questions how they fish, even when that was never the intention. You should see some of the comments (PM and REP) I got for this thread, http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64430 , a simple plug for catch and release. Seems a couple of folks thought I was trying to ram my CPR ideas down everyone’s throat. Did I come on too strong or attack anyone?

Our site probably has lost members because they felt like outsiders for keeping big fish. And I know for a fact that it has lost members because it wouldn’t take an official stand supporting catch and release. You just can’t make everyone happy.

Legal to keep big fish, sure. But laws are not the sole definition of right / wrong. Example, A couple of years ago, I was driving through a parking lot with a friend in the passenger seat. This friend suddenly yelled out a rude comment to a family walking by… His motivations were clearly racist, as he had made a few comments along those lines in the past, but I kind of shrugged it off as somebody who had some maturing to do. His comment to this family was not illegal, but I feel pretty strongly that it was wrong. I let him know that, and I just don’t have much to do with this person any longer. It may not change his behavior, but he sure knows where I stand on it, and hopefully that will sink in just a little. Ignoring it would have been the same as approval on my part.

My example was a pretty clear case right vs wrong. There may be less agreement on CPR, but the principle of not letting the law be the sole determination of right vs wrong remains the same. Don’t expect progress if we just sit on our hands and smile. I also believe that folks who disagree with CPR of big fish should make their case, and some do a pretty good job of it. Some people do take it too far on both sides, and that is unfortunate. But IMO very few people have consistently expressed their support for catch and release over the years as eloquently and fairly as Brandon, IMO, and I want to use this post as an opportunity to express appreciation to him for that.

19. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    we also dont want to make the cpr guys think that they are not welcome here...I bet the number of fishermen who do practice cpr on the bigger fish make up the majority of the membershipe for this site.

We should not have to sacrafice the views of the many to satisfy the few.

20. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Thanks for reading guys - I was just trying to be a wisea$$ more than anything:smile2:

Bryan, I respect your position and views (both as a mod and as plain ol' Whistler the BOC member:big_smile:) and I've never meant (well, almost never :wink:) to attack anybody over CPR or keeping fish. I try to be as polite as I can when I mention CPR. As you yourself stated, you learned a lot about CPR on this site, as did I and a bunch of others. If we don't post about it, how would anyone hear about it on the site? I'm sorry if some of my posts came off as attacks or obnoxious, but 99% of the time they weren't meant that way. They were meant as a way to get the word out that it's actually acceptable to release a catfish. If other members had never posted anything on CPR, I, like you, would still be keeping everything I caught because I'd've never seen any other viewpoint. I don't know why the mere mention of releasing a fish has suddenly become attacking someone, but I guess if it is, then I'm guilty.

I'm done with the "catfish culture wars" for awhile:wink: I got off the plane 2 hours ago from a week in CA, the boat's hooked up, bait's ready, and and I'm off to the river. To hopefully catch a big fish and then turn it loose.:smile2:

Ya'll have a good weekend!

Branden