Man I wish I could have seen him!

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Bigbluefisherman, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I put the boat in saturday around 3pm down @ KC and headed south. I pulled into a creek mouth and threw the net for awhile, got a few shad and a carp. I pulled up to a channel crossing I had never fished before and started fishing. I fished one spot for about 45 mins or so with nothing. Reeled them up and pulled the anchor, I floated down river another 50 to 75 yds and dropped again. I threw the poles back out and sat back down in my seat, no sooner than my butt touched the seat my far right pole laid flat in the rod holder, drag steaming out of my reel faster than I had ever seen before! I pulled my rod out and proceeded to try and give her a good hook set to make sure the hook was in deep! There was no slowing this big fish down! This went on for about 30 seconds and all of the sudden SNAP....it was over! I was so flustered over the whole situation, I began to look over my reel to see what had just happened! This was new line from a month ago or so. I use 70 lb braded line and he broke it like there was nothing there! I still as of now don't know what happened, But I lost sleep over the deal. I have caught fish in the 50 # range and I know this fish topped that for sure! I am debating whether to change my line or not! I would have loved to see that bad boy!

2. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Man, that must have been a huge fish. I wish you would have landed it. I would have liked to seen the pics. Thanks for sharing!!

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    when using braided line, always check your line down by the swivle for tattered or fraid line. The weight and bead will wear on the line pretty bad. I have had this happen before and I know how you feel. This is the main reason I went back to mono, it doesn't seem to wear as bad. Always check it every time you bring it back in.
    I have also had it cut itself in the reel. This happens after you get hung in a snag and try to pull it out. The line will tighten up in the reel and cut into itself and when a fish runs with it and gets it to that point in the reel "POP", there goes mister whiskers with your rig.
    All I can really say is, I feel your Pain brother!!!

PS. Change that line!!!!!

4. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Big Blue,

Where did your line break at? Was it at the reel, the rod tip, or down towards the leader? Knowing how much line you reeled in after it broke would help narrow down where your problem area is.

Sure am sorry to hear about that. I've never had one break my 80 lb Power Pro but I had one straighten out a hook. I sure would have liked to seen that one!:sad2:

5. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    sorry man i feel your pain to, if your like me you will relive that day for along time it realy sucks

6. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Shane, it broke in the reel...I have never had any problems with it before, but I have never in my life had a fish on that big either!I will be back after em this weekend! I will probably change my line!

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I think that happens to everybody a few times, I feel you pain.:sad2:

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I had that happen to me while shore fishing the Missouri up around Oregon.I was using 20 pound mono and for bait a fresh piece of bloody beef liver and a nightcrawler.He snapped that line like it was 2 pound test,just made me sick!!---------------pk powell:crazy:

9. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified

10. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    All i can say is keep an eye on your line and hit the spot again and maybe you will get lucky and hook him again. good luck.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I feel for you, it has happend to me a time or two also..Like JW said, personally I would use mono, it's more forgiving with it's stretch also.

12. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I feel your pain brother. I have had afew big ones get away so I switched to braided line. The main problem so far is it getting weak around where you tie it. But all in all I am happy with it so fair. I will use it for afew more years and see what happens.

Dave

13. carpet1

carpet1 New Member

State:
    Ash Flat,Arkansas
    Sorry to hear that .I replace my line once a month if I am fishing alot

14. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Man I know how that hurts, just leaves you standing there with a numb feeling don't it. Well. you'll always have the "One that got away " tale to tell now. Don't help much right now does it. Stay after em, another one will come . I've never used braided line so can't offer any input on that part.

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Dang Matt, thats some Bummer news. It sounds like your braid was wrapped on itself on your spool. As ol JW said, you probably buried a few strands of braid last time you got hung up or something. I hate to hear that story. Sounds like a really big blue to me. They really like to grab and head down the river using the current. The Braids are great lines for sure but they do have there weak points. Go back to MONO, or spend some time every trip out inspecting your braided lines. Hope you hook him again.

16. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What kind of mono do you all suggest? My main problem with mono is that after one night of fishing on a rocky bottom river that it gets weak and having a fish run it over rocks cuts it quick. And I change out mono every year or more. I know that different monos are better then others but for the moment I am using braided but my dad likes mono. So I want to give him some sound advice on monos. So far I have found that Cabelas mono is pretty good for the price. What do you think?

Dave

PS I am currently using Power Pro braided line and really like it. So far I have used it for about two years without changing lines. I am going to see how long I can go before it gets noticeablely weak.

17. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Rat, sounds like somebody nailed it earlier on your broken braid; no stretch means no give. If the line damaged itself in your reel, that was your weak point. Worse thing for braid is the line damaging itself. If you stick with braid, use a slightly lighter drag setting, and use a little softer rod to provide to "give" on your end.

Lot of good mono line out there. If you fish much, once a year won't be often enough for line changes to handle a fish like you described, regardless of what line you use. The main line you use depends on how you're rigging. If you use a three-way drop rig, you can go up as high as you want on your main line. The key is to use a slightly weaker line line on your hook, and a line 50% less for your weight. Example, Power Pro braid 70# main line, 50# to your hook, and 30# mono weight drop. This way your weight can be broken off more easily because it is more likely to get hung up, and the hook leader will break before the rest of the rig if you can't hold a fish.

I use a drift rig with the weight sliding on the main line above my swivel. For that reason, I stick to a lower weight mono line for my main line. I use 30# Big Game, because I got a bunch cheap, and that is all I can break off when I get snagged. I can't imagine what I would have to do if I had 50#, or worse yet 70# line and had to break it off. The key is knot strength, combined with drag settings. Now I say this with limited knowledge of truly big catfish. My personal best on rod and reel is only 28#, so I have yet to tackle (or land) a truly huge cat on 30# test. But I get hung up more often than I hook a huge cat, so I made the choice to do it this way. Some day I may end up losing a huge cat like you did, and I may re-examine my entire thought process!

18. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    man, that must have been somthing big.... would have loved to c that on......

19. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    I agree with Larry on this one. I got a large cat(70 or 80lbs) to the boat a couple of years ago and he did break my 30lb test....but it was do to a nic in the the leader that I knew about and put off changing(that sucks). I have landed fish 65lbs with 17lb test. The key is the drag and not putting too much pressure on the fish. Go easy when he's pulling and pull when he's going easy. It sounds simple but it works. See ya on the water!

20. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use 40LB big game for my main line and run 60LB leader if not heavier because the blues have such a rough tooth plate that I use the heavier line for wear and tear.Been using it a long time and have got along real good.I tried some super line for a leader and ran into a problem with line twist in heavy current and have gone back to mono leaders for that.Braid has its uses but I have found that it is tough on ya if you need some stretch to help with big fish in current.Good luck Matt