Man Eating Snake

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Ace, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Large constrictors have killed people on rare occasions.The details of the deaths generally remain unknown.After all the only witnesses are the victim and the snake.
    About eight more or less confirmed cases of death by constrictor have occurred in North America in the past twenty or so years. Philippe de Vosjoli (1993) reviews the potential danger of and precautions to be taken with large boas and pythons.Reticulated, Burmese, and African rock pythons primarily are responsible for human deaths from constrictors.An unconfirmed case involving a green anaconda also exists.
    An escaped 8-foot python smothered a seven-month old girl in her crib in Dallas, Texas in November 1980.
    A 21-month-old male was found dead in his crib. An escaped pet python snake was found near the child on a cribside shelf. Autopsy findings included petechiae associated with asphyxial death plus puncture wounds consistentwith the reptile's teeth. This report details this 1982 death of a child in Reno, Nevada, and includes illustration of the reptile's bite marks plus description of snake jaw mechanics in swallowing.
    An unidentified pet python “strangled” a twenty-eight year old man in Brampton, Ontario in 1992.
    An 11-foot pet Burmese python by the name of Sally killed a 15-year-old boy in his bed in Commerce City, Colorado in 1993. The snake bit the boy on the right foot and apparently suffocated him. The fact that the boy’s fingers also were punctured and bleeding suggests that he tried to remove the snake from his foot. The snake weighed much less than the boy and showed how strong these constrictors can be.
    A man died in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana in 1993 after a fight with his pet 16-foot reticulated python named Ebanezer. The man was not constricted but may have died of a heart attack. He suffered from hypertension. The man had snakebites on his arm and the snake had several knife wounds. A veterinarian treated the retic, which probably went to the Audubon Zoo in New Orleans.
    A 13-foot Burmese python killed a 19-year-old man in The Bronx, New York in 1996.A neighbor found him in a hallway outside his apartment with the snake wrapped around him.
    A 7 1/2-foot African rock python suffocated a 3-year-old boy in Centralia, Illinois in 1999. The boy had compression marks around his chest and bite marks on his neck and ears. No evidence of struggle was apparent. He was sleeping with an aunt and uncle near the snake’s aquarium at the time.
    Just recently, a 10-foot Burmese python strangled an 8-year-old girl in Irwin, Pennsylvania in August 2001. She fell into a coma and was declared brain-dead two days later.

In none of the above cases did the snakes attempt to eat their victims. It can be easy to underestimate the strength of large constrictors. One fact that many snakeowners may not realize is that when a constricting snake compromises your blood circulation, any extra exertion such as simply standing up, can cause one to pass out. People may first pass out before they are actually killed by constriction. The pictures below are not that alarming, but do show how instances of large constrictors with obvious meals have been manipulated.
    Man I hate these Devils.

:hell_boy:

:cat:

2. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i cant even handle a little snake without wimping out. yeah i'm not sure big snakes like that should be pets. they need a little room to move around and hunt. thats why when they got loose they killed whatever they could...dang!

3. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    a picture of a deadly snake eating a human being is not alarming, it sure is funny how differently people think. That is a bad picture, it will upset some people. I think it is very alarming.

Good post, maybe it will get through to some who think it is cool to keep deadly animals as pets.

We have enough problems as humans, we don't need pets that will eat us.

4. heeler

heeler New Member

State:
    missouri
    wow.I wonder how many people have poisenous snakes for pets?

5. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    reminds me of that guy that used to fondle, i mean live with grizzly bears.you get what you deserve

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, John, makes ya want to run down to the pet store and place your order, huh? Maybe a little something in a Lynx, or a mating pair of Cobra's, or maybe a Bengal Tiger would look good in front of the fire place. There are so many choices. What's a man to do?

7. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    well maybe I'll put up a pic of my snake. For now, I'm headed outside to check on those red eyes looking through my window. :crazy:

8. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I think its a tradgety that these things happen! shows what can happen when we choose to ignore the natural instincts of animals.

9. WV Hillbilly

WV Hillbilly New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    What bothers me most about this is the death of the 3 children. Any parent or gaurdian who is stupid to believe that a constrictor is a good pet to have around a child amazes me. It is one thing for an adult to decide on his own to put himself at risk but a child has no choice in the matter he is at the mercy of his parents / gaurdians poor decisions. I guess they decided it was more important to look cool by having a constrictor as a pet than to consider the safety of a child. The only good thing that I can see coming from these tragic childrens deaths is the fact that they won't be passing on their parents idiot DNA. Sorry for going off on a tangent but the one thing I can't stand to see is a child being hurt.

10. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I for one love snakes as pets or in the wild.Ive said it before I used to own a 16 ft long burmese python that up until the day I donated him to a zoo never showed any aggresiveness towards me or anyone else but my mother was pregnant with my fourth brother so to err on the side o caution i donated him to a zoo As of the moment I have a 20inch long copperhead that I will probably end up releasing soon

11. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    You forgot the killer "Plastic Fish"!:lol:

12. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i knew there was another reason i didn't like snakes.:crazy:

13. Pillpeddler

Pillpeddler New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Saw somewhere of a Ret. python that had eaten a gator. Gator clawed about half way out. Both snake and gator died. Hallelujah. This supposedly happened in the Florida Everglades. People down there have been turning loose "Little Wiggles" when he gets too big and starts eyeballing their prized family members "Fluffy" and "Spots" or whatever they name their cats and dogs. And, yeah, they probably worry a little about their children. Anyway, they dump the snakes in the 'glades. Now we have a breeding population of potentially very large snakes right here in the good ol US of A.:0a2:

14. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    After reading this thread. Why anybody would bring a Dangerous animal or snake into their home knowing full well it may hurt one of their kids. Don't need to have kids! If the Adults get eat up by one of the durn things thay ort to have known better. I do not like to see child hurt!!!!

15. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Terry Please think about what you are doing, Owning something that can kill a person is something you have the right to do but there no logic in the practice. You are doing it because it is dangerous, even if you don't understand it that is why you own it. Danger is exciting. If you have your pet in your arms or you are looking at it every second of the day then OK otherwise it is like having a loaded gun sitting around that shoots itself every once in a while. Owning dangerous deadly animals is wrong.

I don't think any person can give one good reason for owning a deadly animal. If you really think about it you will see it is only for selfesh reasons you do it because no person is going be happy or glad that anyone they know owns an uncontrolable deadly animal.

I know, you say that you make sure it is locked up so it can't hurt anyone. Well, banks lock up money every day but the money gets out somewhere every day.
    Have you ever heard this ( if something can go wrong it will )
    Try the list thing, On a piece of paper make 2 columns and 2 headings

Good thinks that can come of owning a deadly animal

Bad things that can come of owning a deadly animal

Now study your list.

One more thing, You may be breaking the law.

16. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Phony pics. LOL

17. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I would like to clear somethings up about my last post on this subject.I have been a snake ownersince I was about 5 and started with garter snakes.I for one would never own a reticulated python because no matter how much you handle them they usually turn out very aggresive and the same goes for rock pythons.I handle all of my snakes as much as possible the people who get bit are the people who own snakes to be cool.I own snakes because I love them.The day that i had donated my snake to the zoo was one of the worst days of my life I had owned this snake for 15yrs from 18in. to almost 18 feet and never once did I ever feel fear or endangerdby this snake.And to be quite honest I think you have a better chance of getting killed by the family dog if you are responsible LIke not handling your snake after it ate while shedding to name a few.Owning a potentially dangerous animal should have some sort of permit process to keep joeshmo from going from no snake to the biggest snake money can buy with no experience same with owning a gun or driving. And as far as my copperhead snake goes I found him at the local pond were many little kids frequent so I decided that I would catch him to keep him from biting someone or getting killed by someone who doesnt understand so I have been waiting till I go fishing at someplace alittle more of the beetin path than normal plus Ive only seen two in my whole life in New jerseyso I figure he deserves a chance at lif since most peole kill what they dont understand

18. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    As I said above, those pics are phony.

I admit there have been incidents where people, even children have been killed by large constricting snakes, but these numbers are minuscule when compared to the amount of deaths caused by the family dog.

In most cases of death by a pet it's because the owners were idiots.
    There is a responsibility that must be met when owning a pet of ANY type.

I for one have kept snakes for over 30 years, and have kept many different types, including boas & pythons of various types. However, I have never owned (and really have no desire to own) a truly large snake.
    I also do volunteer work for MDC, the Mo. Dept of Conservation, documenting county records for reptiles and amphibians. And have captured and photographed 100's of venomous snakes, including copper heads, cotton mouths and several variety of rattlesnakes.

Although I find venomous snakes very fascinating and would love to own some, I have none. For several reasons. 1) it is illegal to own venomous snakes in IL 2) I have young children and I have a brain. As previously stated, you must be responsible or accidents can and will happen.