Man drowns at one of my favorite spots

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by FLATHEAD STEVE, Jul 2, 2009.

1. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    A 60 yr old man drown weds. at the center street roller dam downtown Des Moines, I guess he and a woman were anchored up river from the damn and had motor issues. The city is building a pedestrian bridge right above this dam.

Long story short: A construction worker was hoisted down by a crane and saved the woman, the man was pulled out of the river dead about a half mile down river....This dam is a bad one, I have thrown a fully inflated basketball into it, fished for a couple hours and never seen it come back up. That woman had a horse shoe up her a$$!!!!!!

2. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    Thats a Sad Deal :sad2:

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    bad deal bro:sad2:

4. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I saw that on the news. It said she was wearing a life jacket. The guy hanging from the crane was on tv too. I don't know how they got that set up so fast.

I've never put a line in there. It looks like that dam has more fall than most of the low heads around here.

5. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    yeah the footage shows what a dam will do to a person even wearing a life-jacket. the woman is literally doing flips in the water. it's gonna be crazy going back there and fishing when know that such a horrible thing just took place there. i've been wanting to fish that dam pretty bad lately too. :sad2:.

6. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    yeah it's a sad deal!!! the man had enough wit's to tell his wife to put her life jacket on but not enough to put his on. :confused2: those dams aren't anything to play with I don't care how good of a swimmer you are

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    amen bro.

8. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    that's terrible. :sad2:

9. IAcrankbait

IAcrankbait New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm amazed at how fast the man washed down stream. According to the DM Register they pulled him out at the new MLK bridge just before the woman was rescued. Through the dam and almost 7 blocks in half an hour.
    http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090701/NEWS/907010375

I hate to say it but I'm a little surprised this did not happen sooner. Not sure how many boats I have watched cruise up to look at the bridge work since they started building.

10. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    It hit national news ...we seen it all the way down here in arkansas......I figured some folks on here would know them or the spot they were at....sad story:sad2:

11. ronniethomas

ronniethomas New Member

State:
    iowa
    thats a bad deal, but pretty cool how that guy got her out of there. Should go down there w/ a case of beer for those construction workers.

12. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    that's a cool idea. those guys are already getting thank yous from across the world since it made global headlines.

13. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That's always a sad deal. people under estimate the force of the water at lowheads. We have one here. I was there yesterday. People walk in the water on top of it when it's low. There were a couple of guys on it lastnight. I know the water is low enough to walk on it but if you do slip you're gonna be bobbing for some time. I was fishing it with a pal last year. There was a guy wading back and forth on top of of the dam fishing. He had a couple of flathead poles wedged in a tree root hanging partially over the dam and he was walking around jigging. The guy disappeared. I thought he went to the other side to catch bait. We left and came back the next day and his stuff was still there. About halfway through a days fishing search and rescue came down there. They found the guy still in the white water... He'd been there for more than 24 hours. I wont walk across it unless it's dry or just a trickle. There will be another death down there this year, I'm sure.

14. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Here is a link on how low head damn hydraulics work. http://paddle-boats.suite101.com/article.cfm/lowhead_dam_hydraulics_and_safety

Throw something in one some time or watch a log roll over one and see how long it take for it to get spit out the other side. This is one luck woman. I bet she has a new found respect for construction workers and slows way down in construction zones now.