Man drowned at Canelton

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by KYfarmer, Jun 23, 2008.

1. KYfarmer

KYfarmer New Member

State:
    KY
    Just heard on the news a 29 year old man drowned while fishing below the dam. There was 3 of them in a 14' jon when a storm rolled in and swamped the boat the story said he was trying to swim for shore. My prayers go out to the family.

2. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Not to minimize what has happened but I hope it was not one of our members that some of us may personally know. I hope he was truly enjoying his fishing trip and passed doing what he truly loves. My prayers and condolences to the family and man himself !!!!! GOD REST HIS SOUL !!!!!!!!!!!!

3. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    His family and friends and most of all his soul my prayers will be with him and his family. Aaron

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    This is such a tragedy and so unnecessary and avoidable.
    The way the story reads none of the three were wearing life jackets and the tailwaters of a dam are no place for a 14 foot boat, especially with 3 guys aboard. Big water and small boats do not mix. Add a squall to that and you have the makings of a terrible scenario.
    Please you guys, let this man's death drive home the warning that water is dangerous and will take your life in an instant if given a chance.
    Wear your life jackets and exercise caution at all times.
    My sincere condolences to his family and friends...W

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Prayers sent from Nevada.

6. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    A reality check for us all. Prayers sent from Indiana for his loved ones and friends left behind.

7. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    wow. i know from many years fishing these same waters, just how dangerous it can be. i can remember many times seeing guys in these small jon boats fishing below the dam and thinking to myself how crazy it was. my two fishing partners and i got caught in a bad storm one afternoon and didnt think we were gonna make it back to the ramp ourselves. we were in a 18 viking tri-hull and we fought some of the biggest swells i have ever seen on that river. while we were trying to get back i happened to look to the indiana bank and saw this 14 foot john hugging the bank trying to get back to the cannelton ramp. my buddies and i watched him for a while and we didnt think he was gonna make it. he finally got to the ramp but i'll bet he had the crap scared out of him. anyway the point i want to make is, if youre gonna get on a big river, get a big boat. a bigger boat my not always save you either but your odds are greatly increased. my prayers also go out to this young man's family. what a shame.

8. crazy4cats

crazy4cats New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    yea well i was fishing from shore the same time this happened

i couldnt see much becus it was all the way out in the middle of the river

my prayers go out to all the friends and family of those men