Malibu X-factor fishing kayak

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by cincycatman, Jan 27, 2007.

1. cincycatman

cincycatman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was looking to buy a jon boat for a while but I've decided not to since I would have to count on friends to pull it, pay insurance and keep up motor maintence... plus I'm going on a week long fishing trip to the Boundary Waters of Minnesota where motor boats aren't allowed, fishing 3 guys from a canoe for a week doesn't float my boat so I've decided I'd like to get a fishing kayak but can't find any brick and mortar retailers around carrying it and online is pretty pricey and the shipping is ridiculous. If anyone could tell me of large kayak dealers within a few ours of Cincinnati or any good places to look online I'd really appreciate it. Anyone who hasn't seen some of the fishing kayaks that are available these days should check it out, you can really load them up with a lot of equipment and accessories, tons of storage and I was amazed at how stable, their weight limits and how advanced they actually are now...

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've sent you a PM. There are no dealers in Cincy who sell Malibu's.

Is there a particular reason you want an X-Factor. Its a good fishing kayak, but there are others that are great ones too.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    You may also want to take a look at the Wilderness System Ride, the 2007 model, not the 2006 one. It has a huge tankwell for carrying your stuff, is very stable, and should be an exellent catfish kayak. Any Wilderness Systems dealer should be able to order you one. Those in your area, from the Wilderness site, include:

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/dealer-results-us-canada.asp

Unfortunately, Wilderness does not have this year's model on the website yet.

Other great sit on top fishing kayaks include the Heritage Redfish, Liquid Logic Manta Ray (especially the 14 ft model), the Hobie Quest, and the Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 or 15. Cobra also makes some great fishing kayaks, but I'm not as familiar with them. Do have a friend with a Cobra Navigator, but don't think that model is a good first time fishing kayak, nor a good catfish kayak, though he primarily fishes for cats.

4. cincycatman

cincycatman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like the Malibu X-factor because how stable it is, its big enough for me to be comfortable, im 6'5 240, all the storage it allows, 600 lb weight limit plus it comes with built in rod holders and tank wells, plus will hold a 5 gallon bucket in the back... I'll check out that new Wilderness System b/c I do like some of there prowler and predator models but for all the things I'm looking for, the Malibu Xtreme and X-factor are the only ones I felt lived up to those and I really like the setup of it... I've read reviews for it and the only thing I ever here is that and can be kinda tough to paddle in the wind without a kayak and that it's not one for someone thats small, other than that everybody loves it... I don't plan on using it in a storm and I'm not that small so I'm not too worried about that...Basically it has most everything I'm looking for and in my price range, plus I know it's a good kayak.. thanks for the link!!

5. rgrshadow

rgrshadow New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have an Ocean Prowler 15 fishing kayak. I bought it at Gander Mountian and have been very happy with it. It is very stable and will float in just a few inches of water. There is open storage in the back, two rod holders in the back, a little tackle box in between your legs, a large dry storage area in the front, and two paddle holder on the side. The kayak goes like the wind, glides very easy through the water. I weight about 225 lbs and I can sit with my legs off the same side of the kayak (when the water is warm) and fish. Hope this will be helpful.

6. vince

vince New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    If you are go to the BW waters bring these three items!

1.bug spray
    2.bug spray
    3.bug spray

you can never have enough..

vince.

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I reread you post and would suggest that if going to the Boundary Waters, a sit on top kayak isn't going to be very good if you have to portage, much too cumbersome. In that situation, you'd be better off with a canoe. You may want to look in to borrowing or renting another canoe. If you could find an Old Town Pack canoe, that would be a great one. Its relative light, wide, and very stable for a big guy.

8. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Taking into consideration your size, you should be looking at the Cobra Fish and Dive sit on top kayak. It's the most recommended yak for large users because of exceptional stability and a 600lb capacity, it measures 12'6" x 36" and weighs 60lbs. Two of the things you want to make sure of is to purchase a good quality seat and paddle. It can make a major difference in how you enjoy your yak.

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    He's not really that large. Lots of kayak fishermen fish from Tarpon 140's, Prowler 13's, and other kayaks with no problem. The Fish 'n Dive is a tank to paddle compared to many other kayaks out there that would be suitable. The FnD is better suited if fishing in the open ocean and going through the surf. Basically, one needs a kayak that will carry his weight, 100 lbs of gear, and bit of extra capacity. Any kayak with a 375 lb capacity will do, though one with 400lbs might be a bit better. High carrying capacity means more difficult to paddle.

I'm 235 and the kayaks I would look at if purchasing a new one are the 2007 Wilderness System Ride, Heritage Redfish, Hobie Quest, and Liquid Logic Manta Ray 14. They all have more than enough capacity to carry me. The Manta Ray and 2007 Ride have about the largest tankwells for carrying stuff around. In fact, the Ride will carry a 90 qt ice chest.

I know you said you like the built in rod holders, but they aren't that great for fishing. First, they are behind you, second, they face backward at an angle, third, if there are waves, with the flush mount holder, your reels will stay wet. I prefer mine to face forward and have them mounted that way. That way, I can watch my lines as I fish. I've three rod holders, two face forward, the third is behind me. The only thing I use that one for is to carry a rod when underway.

10. skiff_2

skiff_2 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Congrats on the X factor. I had an Extreme and it was probably the best yak I've owned. A little noisy with the hull slap and always felt like the bow was low, but very stable, good speed & tracking. Took mine in the inlet & out through the surf too. Huge front hatch. I could slip my 235 lbs up front and pull my rod out in the swells with plenty of stability. Love adjustable foot rests too. I can't stand molded in foot wells. Not enough room/support. One of the main reasons I sold my Fish-N-Dive XF. Plus I bought a boat and said to H*#L with paddling. Got one yak left & it's going next.

11. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    Brother I have both the Cobra FnD and Malibue Extreme.
    If covering large areas:My X Factor has yet to let me down
    If stability is needed such if your pulling heavy fish or lobster nets out of the water my FnD stands out. Try every single kayak that is for us bigger guys, you always have to consider the fact all your gear +you+ xtra junk adds up real quick. Whatever is more comfortable for you!

12. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I have an "Ocean Kayak" prowler big game. At 6'2" and 260 I found it the best for my personal use. Lots of room and you have to really try to make it flip. Not too hard to rig for fishing as it has pretty easy access to the inside front of the hull and also has molded in battery tray for a sealed battery to run fish finder, lights ect.
    My wife has a "Liquid Logic" Manta ray 14 and she loves it. The manta also has tremendous storage and is quick and easy to paddle.
    take a look at each company's web site. Find a dealer that carries several brands and see if you can take test rides.. Do your homework and you will find one that works for you...