Male Flathead catfish during the spawn ?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by wolfman, Mar 28, 2006.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    From what I understand, male flatheads attend eggs and fry for up to several days after hatching . And, Flatheads have been known to eat other catfish species. My question is: Do the males eat some of their young or do they simply stop feeding during this time?

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Walter

Long time no chat.

From what I've read and heard here is that they stop alltogether and never heard of them eatting any of their own young. As you know I'm no expert and I really don't know of anyone that is.;)

3. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    if i remember the articles i've read the males do stop feeding at this time. for up to three weeks if my memory serves me correctly.

4. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio

I'm sorry to have to say this, but Baitkiller does know an expert. " Me"
    I can with out malice of for thought, tell you with all certainty, that Male Flatheads absolutely do not eat their young! If they did they would develop (MAD CAT DISEASE ), they would shake so violently that the rivers would swell out of their banks, and what were once beautiful idyllic river banks would turn to gravel and tumble and roll into the thrashing water. And if thats not enough proof I'll add the fact that their mouths would tremble uncontrollably and they couldn't get their mouths around a hook let alone a big bait! Case Closed!

:0a26:

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    whatever it is that keeps the males from feeding keeps the females from feeding as well.

6. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i read acouple of things on the spawning of flatties. and what i read is that the only a male flattie will eat while protecting his young is another predator that is after the eggs or small fry that he can not scare off. kinda like if it keeps coming back begging for trouble he will eat it if possible. the reason females dont eat much is because they have to recover from getting beat i suppose because the male continues to ram his head into the female to force her eggs out. i dont remember where i read this but i will try to find it.

7. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I read that they dont feed at all. I hope not atleast, cause the more the better.