Male dogs marking territory???

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by FS Driver, Sep 20, 2007.

1. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    wife and i are both about at the end of or wits as to how to deal with these dogs. stinkbeetle , cattlefrogs , chris and any one else that has expieriance with dogs or anyone with suggestions or advise is welcome to chime in .
    here is our situation : we have 3 male dogs the oldest is a boston terrier and he is blind now and out of the competition i guess as far as alpha male
    goes . and he has been neutered for some time now .
    the other two are a 2 year old basset hound and a 10 month old boston terrier . these 2 cannot go a day without takeing a hike in the laundry room
    this is where their food and water is .
    they are in a very large metal crate at night and when we are not here both can fit in this with no restrictions .
    this morning i get up and let them out of pen and immediatly we go outside and i leash them both up for about 10-15 minutes then bring them in so they can eat and drink for another 10-15 minutes then let them out the second time so they can relieve theirselves and stretch their legs a bit before they are back in the pen till i get home .
    this might seem cruel but they sleep at night and we work dureing the day so theres no way we can leave them out of their pen for 9 hours .
    the brief time they had came back in from being outside and comeing in to eat/ drink both of them hiked and relived in the laundry room
    they also went again when taken out that second time evidently right after going in the house !!!
    are they marking their territory or are their bladders goofed up by being pinned up too much?
    should i have them neutered ? would that help them not mark the house?
    thanks in advance for any help.
    beetle juice , donr give me bad advice in retaliation for redtailhawk recipe thread:wink:

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sell them to the Vietnemese, and get yourself some female dogs. KIDDING! If I were you, I would seriously consider having them neutered if you are not making a living off of their swimmers. It ain't cruel. I do believe it will make them less competetive. Although, with mature dogs, this may not be totally effective either. I've had male dogs, and being a male myself, I had reservations about getting them snipped. In retrospect, I would have them snipped. All those hormones are unhealthy, and can lead to illness later on in life anyway...or so I'm told by the vet, which may very well just want my money.

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Darryl and Matt; Just got in the house from taking a leak. Gotta make supper. Will get back to you later, and visit. DRC I won't steer ya wrong. I loved that hawk thread. I'll put up some pictures sometime with the ones I have had on my arm. I esp. like the ones I have with a Trumpeter swan. You have a problem and we'll talk about it. John

4. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Wondering what post beetle is gonna say on this subject. Sounds like you have 2 male dogs competing for the same food. Maybe try feeding them seperate in different rooms.

5. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa

Is that why you wont let me invite Kutter, Postbeetle, J.D. or triple 7 over for viddles?

6. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks, I just had a vision of 4 grown men running around hiking their legs near the stove. :0a37:hehehe

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Wew! Glad it's not just me. I keep waiting for the ol lady ta catch me...but it must be that "mountain spring" dryer sheets thing keeping me out of trouble. That "neutered" thing has bothered me; since I worked for a vet before going in the service. Brings up unpleasant memories......
    A dog gotta do, what a dog's gotta do. Sure Postbeetle will have some advice for both of us.

8. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Too many hours pinned up makes the bladder weak and inconsistant from stretching so it may be an issue. Try moving where they eat and drink and see if the habit moves with them. If it does it is a territory thing if not consider and outdoor kennel or run so they can have more freedom during the day. It is alot to ask of an animal to go 16+ hrs a day in a cage.

9. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i'm thinking the time and space is a big part of the problem too.
    thing that is not helping me on the outdoor kennel is all the dang biteing flys here they will cheww their ears off in a few days .
    the neighbors dogs get nailed bad.
    and the basset is a big A baby he would howl like crazy if left outside without us being out there with him.
    neighbors would prob call the police. i will look into something for outside even if its a doggy door to let them get out into a bit larger area .
    the urinateing has got to stop though .

10. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    DRC: You have a common problem, one that is more than likely hormonal rather than physical. If they, one or both had a physical problem they would have "accidents" in their confined area during the day. A urinalysis can rule this out. I am, was, are, perhaps is a Vet. What I will tell you about this is my philosophy and no reflection on others attitudes. Weather Doctors or Vets,and you are in their office for a perceived problem never forget you are the boss. An honest one, or one comfortable with his or her diagnostic ability will advice you and should take the least invasive or expensive route. When things begin to add up on the expense side use your commonsense and begin to question.

That having been said, others have nailed it for you. You have a "dog territory marking conflict" made worse because there are two dogs. If you Google up "dog territory marking" (don't use the quotes) you will get pages of junk on this. Most are easily understood by lay people. Somewhere in that list is an article by the Humane Society about territory marking. This reference to the HUS is no reflection of support for them. I have other issues not important here about them. This article however is helpful as are others.

In a nutshell--My rec. is this. I doubt you have a physical problem. Your Vet can if necessary rule this out. Get them cut (castrated, neutered, deflowered) and then don't overfeed them and turn them into butterballs. Once their hormone levels have dropped, you may then have to move them out of the laundry room to an other area that has never been marked and see what happens.

And DRC, if this doesn't work I can come over and shoot them for you. As you recall I have some experience in Redtail hunting. LOL Good luck John

11. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I raise Champion Pitbull for at least 20yrs now and maybe I can help by telling you my out look. First I would say is DON'T feed/water them in a kennel they sleep in. The younger pup might still need to be fed 2x a day the older 1x and always at the same time of day. Never leave water inside ( the kennel). About a hour or 1/2 before turn in time pull the water, let them out before turn in time. 2: the #1 way to house train a dog is from kennel raising !!! but......they cant be in the same kennel. And for the sleeping kennel dogs actually like a small one, yes a small one I said. It gives them that mothers womb feeling. Till this day my 13yr old female is found sleeping in her same kennel. If they get yelled at they both head that way also. As far as during the day they can also stay in their same kennels or if that bugs you a runner is a great way. I DON'T like outside kennels at all. 3: that marking you find in your house could actually be directed at you. You MUST understand that YOU are the alpha dog in YOUR home, lol. Make it know !!!! ( and no don't pee on them now, lol) 4: I know time is limited but that 1/2 you give them for turn out might not be enough. A lot of times a dog wont empty until it has ran some. This is really common with the younger ones and 2yrs old is still on the young side. You know your dogs and you must learn to Identify that look and little sniffs they show. Let him know you know what he is up to and let him out. Be sure to tell him what a good boy he is !!!! 5: Dogs work on a rhythm do the same things at the same time...so very important, they learn from repetition only. If anyone is interested in a perfect dog runner let me know. Its your choice on the kennel thing but I'm telling you ,,,its YOUR house and they think its theirs. Also make sure you spend equal affection time to avoid jealousy among the 3. It really sounds like they are marking because you haven't maintained your Alpha statues. As far as kidney problems I wouldn't go that far yet unless you see..super dark yellow urine or a excessive amount of urine. My male marks the yard and I swear he can hold 2 gallons of water it seems, lol. I've even watched him try to mark when nothing is left. If my dog hikes a leg in my house its his butttt, thats also is your choice. Pits are good dogs but hard to break, it takes at least 2 yrs. I was also was wondering if they are at that sage where they look at you then the door when they need to be let out and if you have kids? That information would help me believe it or not. Anyway I'm sure I will think of more so feel free to post more if you are interested in my experience. GtG a friend want to go bass'in. Sorry if there is some typos...gotta run !!!

12. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    jim thanks for your input.
    this morning i got up about an hour earlier and took them both out to an outside backyard enclosure and let them runa round out there for about 30 minutes before letting them back in the house and as i type this so far so good but i am trying to watch them like a hawk.
    i need more clarification on this alpha male business and how to go about
    regaining my status and how to disipline them effectivly if they do mess up
    without beating them .
    i have used a rolled up newspaper to nail them a few times when they try
    to get up on the couch or when they have hiked on the floor and i caught them . trouble with the hikeing is they do this out of sight and its hard to catch them in the act. i GTG too thanks to all replys i really appreciate them.

13. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I can add one thing. After they do their business outside, do not bring them in right away. If the dog learns that as soon as he/she gets done relieving themselves, they will have to go right back into the house, they will hold it as long as possible. The reward for going outside should be praise and affection, not a trip back into the house. Also, do you get the chance to walk them? That is important. Walk them everyday.. nice long walks. They will see much more territory that they can mark and claim as theirs. They may quit there marking contest in the house if you expose them to more territory that they can claim outside. Walk the same route for the normal walks. This gives them a sense of patrolling their territory and they can remark their territory along the route as need be. You could just have a problem that they are both competing for a very small amount of territory in the house.

14. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Darryl,
    This workes for my chihuahua's, so it may help you out. Take a couple of old 2 litter bottles and feel 1/2 way up with water or sand. Rubber band a paper towel around the bottle. They will pee on this and all you have to do is change the paper towel. :wink:

15. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    I was also was wondering if they are at that sage where they look at you then the door when they need to be let out and if you have kids? That information would help me believe it or not. Anyway I'm sure I will think of more so feel free to post more if you are interested in my experience.

ok they do "sometimes" go to the door and look at us .
    the bassett will even whine. the boston ( remember hes only 10 mos.)
    hes a quiet little fart if you actually see him by the door he gives you all the indications that he wants out i will say " lets go outside " several times
    and i used to really praise him after he would go but i admit i havent kept that up as of recently . guess i take it for granite that they are doing good when they go outside and felt they should be doing so with or without praise
    i will re-start the praise with them .
    yes two kids a 11 yr old and a 17 yr old.

the walking is something i will start doing tonite.
    in the morning is not an option as i got to get up and get ready for work and time is not on my side . i will however continue to get up earlier and let them unwind in the outside enclosure for a good 1/2 hour in the mornings before work . that seemed to help this morning . no hikes and they got to play a while before going back in pen. thanks again for all replys.
    robb sorry i referred to you as chris in the 1st post buddy i guess your username through me off .
    i can see with a smaller dog that the bottle trick could work but i dont want these guys hikeing in the house period and i'm afraid they would take that as an incentitive to continue this . but i will keep it in mind nonetheless.
    darryl

16. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I just picked up a Lab/Rot cross from the Humane Society to replace my faithfull yellow Lab Buddy. I agree with walking the dog outside so they can mark and remark thier territory.

This black dog Bo I just got loves to walk with me out to the pasture and mark and remark brush/trees along the way. Hey I'm getting more exercise than before we got him, as I would only go to the pasture once a week or so. Now I take that 1/4 mile trip 3 - 4 times a day. LOL [ Some people have a Bo-Flex for exercise, I have a Bo-Dog. LOL ] I have lost 5 lbs in the last two weeks walking his butt. lol

Nueturing a male dog will not stop them from marking thier territory as they want to have thier own territory to protect.

This dog peed once in the house when he first came. Now he has been left for up to 14 hours in the house and did not mess. And that was when I had to go to Chicago to be in the audenice of the Jerry Springer Show. Boy that was a fun day last Monday. LOL LOL

Dogs need to feel useful or my dogs do. This new dog is turning into a good dog. He is real smart and learns quick. I will take him to dog training classes though as I want him to learn to mind better. We have only had him a couple weeks and he was just neutered last Thursday.

I think those dogs peeing in the same room are trying to say its thier room. I would feed them in seperate rooms and I'll bet the problem stops.

Just my two cents.

17. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Darryl my dad and I used to raise bullterriers(english) years ago Spuds mckenzie type dog.The way my dad and I dealed with the fly problem of eating at the dogs ears was we would take dr scholls foot pads thin ones cut them out a little bit smaller into the shape of the dogs ear and them tape them lightly with medical tape ,some of the dogs it didnt bothers others would scratch them off in that case we would spray there ears and spray them twice a day with flea spray and that kept the flies off.