The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 18ft pontoon boat and instead of spending $20 and up per rod holder I made 10 of my own out of 2in schedule 40 pvc pipe cut into 1 ft sections, 10 45 degree angle pvc connections, 10 3 inch u bolts, pvc cement and screws. For $40 worth of material I made 10 rod holders. They work like a charm for long handled rods.

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,066 Posts
That sounds like a good idea but I just don't trust plastic for my rods. We don't have a ton of big fish but we do have them. I even switched from the plastic Scottie adjustable holders when a huge hit ripped one of the Scottie holders down pointing toward the water. I jumped and grabbed the rod before it went in the drink. Fish didn't even hook up. I checked the holder thinking the cam wasn't locked or it was loose. It wasn't. I didn't adjust anything and could lay my weight on it. That was the last trip for plastic holders on my boat.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sounds like a good idea but I just don't trust plastic for my rods. We don't have a ton of big fish but we do have them. I even switched from the plastic Scottie adjustable holders when a huge hit ripped one of the Scottie holders down pointing toward the water. I jumped and grabbed the rod before it went in the drink. Fish didn't even hook up. I checked the holder thinking the cam wasn't locked or it was loose. It wasn't. I didn't adjust anything and could lay my weight on it. That was the last trip for plastic holders on my boat.
Schedule 40 is very strong. Its rated at 240 psi. It would break your rod long before it broke.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The rod holders look great. Just keep in mind the uv factor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts