Making Weights

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by jedimanhunter, Jun 20, 2008.

1. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well I just bought a Lee 4-20 Pro lead melter. It is set up with a 4" riser and a mold guide. I bought the do-it bank and egg sinker molds to start with.

I turned it on high until the lead started to melt then i turned it down to about 7. As Lee states it will take about 20 minutes to melt.

At first the valve was shut but open, as the lead began to melt it also began running out so dont leave it unattended rule #1. A little shake of the valve and it closed. When I put the lead in it probably leaned on the valve rod opening it just a bit. I never had another problem.

I used the mold guide as a support, it works but has a tendancy to get in the way especially with the egg sinker that has the metal rod with the wood handle on it that make a line cavity during the pour.

I was considering the 10 lb model. it is about 45.00. The 20 lb is about 75.00 delivered to your door. I bought mine at lock stock and barrel. Our local bass pro wants 79.00 for it plus sales tax. they seem to always be too high.

I am very satisfied with the 20 lb model and would buy it over the 10 lb every time. This is a great little unit. Works flawlessly until i put more lead in. That cools the lead a bit and the valve quits working. Just let the heat catch up and your off and running again. The do it molds are great.

Anyone considering pouring your own weights should that alook at the LEE PRO 4-20. They come in 220v and 110v so watch which one you get. A word about lead. It seems to becoming scarce at the tireshops if you are going to work with old wheel weights.

I found 60 lbs at the recycle shop for 20 cents a lb. I went to the other scrap yard and they dont sell anything that comes in " across the counter." I went to the tire shops and one told me they reuse them, three other ones said they have to recycle them. Walmart will not let it go either. I thought tire weights would be around forever then I learned the new ones are zinc.

I read somewhere that the zinc ones have a higher melting point than lead does so they would be the hard ones in the pot. They sould also have a stamp zn one them somewhere as well.

With the cost of weights in my texas area once i go through what i poured today my melter will probably be paid for. I poured about a half gallon of 2-3-4 bank sinkers and 1/2-3 oz egg sinkers today. I think the 3 oz weights are runnin about 70 cents ea at the store and the 4 oz is about 90 cents.

I think my next run for lead is going to be at the firing range and see how the old bullets work out. They have tons of that stuff in the berms i just have to dig it out.

My upfront expense was about 150.00. That will buy alot of lead true enough but i probably lost and bought that much last 2-years so we will see.

I look forward to launching some in the water this weekend.

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if you have any plumbers around you can ask them if they have any lead from old houses they have worked on.with ever thing going to pvc i get a lot of plumbers lead from them.

3. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    great idea, thanks, I just happen to know a few.

4. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Another place to locate old lead is old box springs. The metal around the edge of the spring frame is sometimes lead. I used to get it for stained glass window projects. Don't know how rare this is now, but an idea. Wish you well on the pouring. I have thought about it, but I will have to do some more research first.