Making Storage

Discussion in 'Boating' started by MoMudCat, Dec 19, 2006.

1. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    I have a 18 ft Sea Ark vpld. I love the boat, but the only drawback is lack of storage space. I have been thinking about cutting a hole in the front deck and pulling out some of the foam, and installing a hatch. My only reservations about doing this is I looked up in there and there is a LOT of alum. deck bracing. I would hate to cut through a main brace or something. If anyone has done this, please let me know what you did.

thanks,
    Jim

2. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    may not work for you, but just an FYI - maybe it will help
    Couple big assumptions here:
    1) 18 ft Sea Ark has a rod box, 2) you use it as a rod box.
    In my case, I install verticle rod holders in my boat to hold the rods while running from one spot to the next. I lay the rods in the bottom of the boat or truck when going to fish (keep them in the garage or house otherwise), then put them in the verticle rod holders at the ramp. This frees up the rod box for storage.

3. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Can't tell you what to use, but I wouldn't take out the foam, for safety reasons. Helps keep the boat afloat in an emergency.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

I would have to agree. Boats are designed with the foam for a purpose. How about a couple pics of the boat to get us thinkin.

5. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    dont think i would take out the foam, not sure how the bow of the boat is shaped but there may not be as much room under the deck as you think, you mite think about adding to the deck between the front of console and the rear of the deck such as on the river cat, give seark a call and see what they think and were you can cut if you decide to cut the deck up, maybe they can send you a pic of the framing of it before being skined, but you know it sure seems that there would be some stoage under that big of a deck wouldn't you, ya mite also think about the worrinty also

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Go to the SeaArk website and click on accessories--->storage. There are several that appear to be bolt-ons. Some of them recess into the foredeck, so a retrofit might be possible, although, like the others, I would be reluctant to alter the boat's flotation.

7. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    Thanks for the suggestions. As far as the warrenty goes, my dealer says it would not effect it. About the foam, I've been told that the foam alows the boat to float, when completly full of water, WITH the amount of weight in it that it is rated for. I don't know it this is true or not. I am just looking at some options right now and was hoping someone had already done this to thier boat.

thanks,
    Jim

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I think that boat has the option to add a split seat with storage under it. That should give you a lot of storage room. There are also some side seat storage boxes that mount to the side of the boat that have a pretty good amount of room. If you have a foward mounted fuel tank you could move it back by the battery and use that spce for storage as well. I don't think I would cut into the decking are remove the foam though.

9. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I have the same problem with my center consol, to start i installed vertical rodholdres on the side of my consol and horzintal ones on the port side of my gunnal holding a total of 13 rods, the seat in front of the consol holds alot but needed some help so i use mini milk crates to help keep things neat, i am able to use the space under my consol where i keep my tackle box and boat box. and stow my pdf when I don't have it on. I also have a plastic tool box like you for the back of a truck, a small one to hold all other goodies, this is good because it is easy removed and held in with bungies, and mounting loops. there is alot of room if you become creative using cargo nets work as well I have a small one on the riser to my back deck, I would have a hard time taking a saw to my boat deck or platforms, good luck

10. teamclose

teamclose Guest

dont know if this will help or not but you can buy a 48" diamond plate aluminum tool box at tractor supply for about $200. these boxes are waterproof and lockable. you can bolt it the the floor of your boat to make it more thief proof or just bungee it in to leave it removeable. also in a pinch in a tourny if you would need extra livewell space, take out your gear and drop in a bilge pump w/ a length of hose to act as an aerator. this might save you from tearing your boat apart and serves more than one purpose. hope this helps!

11. Moallen

Moallen New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have been thinking about the same thing with the lack of storage space in my 20 sea ark. I looked at the sar ark's web site adn see that the new boats have options of storage. It is just a matter of making sure you pick the right size storage . The back seat looks to have more room under it. The front can hold a smaller storage. I also like the idea of the diamond tool box. I have a 8 ' rod holder box in the center of my boat and it have 4 seats on top.
    Allen

12. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    it's not a sea ark,but this is what we did to my 1860cc g3,with lids on both sides..the opening is big enough to put milk crates in and i put my plano 3700's in the crates.

Attached Files: