Making Stink Bait Thicker

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Gordhawk, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Anyone have any ideas on how to make stink bait thicker. I bought a stink bait that I have never used before,and my friends that have already tried this bait tell me that they are having a hard time keeping in on the worms. I know how to thin stink bait that is too thick,but I have never had a problem with Sonny's being too thin right out of the bucket,so this is something new to me. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You,
    Glenn

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    You can add flour, shredded cattails, or even cotton. All have worked well for me.

3. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    I see on here where people are talking about cattails!!! Is this the ones that grow in the water around pond and lakes Ect... Thanks for the help guys!!

4. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Yes, the cattails that grow near the banks of ponds and lakes. Not sure if other "cat tails" would work very well :confused2:

5. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    on my bowskers dip bait, reccomended lard or crisco to thicken if its to runny, i think that would help , veggie oil or water to thin

6. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If its too runny when you first get it just stick it in the frigde before you go out. It will thicken it up, and after a while of being back out it will be perfect. I usually have mine in and out of the cooler to suit my needs. I dont like adding alot of stuff to it, works great just like it is. Maybe just a little oil in the winter.

7. ilkeeper1965

ilkeeper1965 New Member

State:
    il.
    I read in another post to heat up your dip bait in some water on a coleman stove or another heat source, then dip your worm in the bait then dip your worm in cold water to harden it up some, (haven't tried it yet) but maybe if its too soft just dipping it in cold water will work for you.

8. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    I fished with a guy that used to make his own stinkbait and when he needed to firm up his bait he would go to his lint trap from his dryer and add the lint to the bait, worked well for him.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    All of the above techniques will work well to thicken your bait. I like to use the cooling technique listed. I also use cornmeal to thicken and add peanut butter to make it sticker and as a binder to the bait and cornmeal. I hope this will help you.:big_smile:

10. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Of course you could always add flour to it to make your stinkbait thicker, but to keep it thick - I "always" make sure that I keep it on ice and in my bait-cooler after I do so, and that always works for me. :wink:
    :0a26:

Take It Easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship::0a23:
    Bert & "Deltalover"