Making some new stuff....

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by gilmafam, Sep 27, 2009.

1. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I guess that some of you that have been around me have noticed that I spend some time making things that I feel I need.... especially for fishing....

I have been rather busy lately making some items that will keep my fishing poles and reels cleaner on the way home from fishing.... Usually when done with a weekend or with some luck a few more days more of fishing, I'm just like you boys and throw the gear in the car/truck/back of boat and do the put away stuff when I get home or plan some time.....

Berts lucky.... he puts it away for the train ride home....all neat and proper with his pole carrier and other stuff in tote bags...

Well this is off the intent here, but I have been making some "scabbards" for the various fresh and saltwater poles that I have......

You see... my garage is totally screwed up.... and it rains inside, as well as when the wind blows, and when the fog comes in...... it does all that stuff in my garage....(guess that I could get a new one... (radar first)

Well.... I have come up with several designs for different reels....Poles are easy to make a bag or cover for......

Good thing that I learnent to sew years ago.... just have to buy the canvas and go to it.....

So, I have to head out to the "Michaels" to get some more "velcro" closures... as I have to get some that are not sticky back....That sticky stuff messes with the needle and does not work well after a while...

I have tried snaps and other things... but trying to keep the cost down....:wink:

Will post some pics later... as I need to post a few mor to get over the 2K mark.... wow 2000 posts comming up...

So ......will do some pics later....

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Right on. Look forward to your 2000 post:wink:

3. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    my equipment stays in the boat under the carport. lots of dust in the summertime and covers everything. but my equipment seems to hold up well anyway. it's a real hassle to unload everything every time you go fishing. just my laziness i guess.

4. gilmafam

State:
    California
    So.... here we are with some pics.... took the cover from my "Moyer big cat rod" to show on this pole.. and the reel.... for some of you who are normal folks.... I'm right handed, and cast right hand.... I crank a spinning reel with the left hand and do the same with most of my level winds....

All those bass boys that switch after they cast, and crank with the other hand:eek:oooh:

So... you see my "modified" left hand crank for my Abu.... and its "reel cover"..... (attached photos)

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ray congrats on some nice work on the reel/rod covers. This protection will be a big benefit down the road. Congrats on 2000 Post. I enjoy reading your posts. Keep them coming.

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Awesome covers! I like em!!!!!:wink:

7. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    That is a good idea. A few of my buddies covers their entire rod and reel and it helps to keep it steady and clean on the way home or when it is out from the dust. Those can be quite costly depending on how many rods you have in the garage. Theyare quite popular I see for saltwater fisherman when we go on the overnighters and multi day trips plus to keep it clean and crisp. I know a few peeps that keep there rods and reels clean like they keep their cars wiping it down and cleaning it before they go home on every trip.

8. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee

Congrats to you Ray. I appreciate all the useful info youve provided. Keep goin bro.:wink:

9. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Thanks Mickey.... been posting in the Hi area... not that I'm keeping anything going...but that doesen't count for posts....LOL.....

I first started covering my lures so that the trebbles would not "grab" me in the boat.... It takes a lot of time to keep the gear clean... and the salt air that we have here really works on things as well....

Making these things just came about from many miles on the road going fishing... the long drives to the Colorado River, and the the dust storms and all that you get on the way there gets things real dusty..... These reel bags and pole scabbards should help with the road dirt....

Thanks God... I have the equipment and take the time to make stuff...

10. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Nice work! I could have used one of those a few weeks ago before I got my brand new baitcasting reel all scratched up.

11. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Great Idea, I got some reel covers, but I tried putting my rods in a piece of pvc pipe, it didn't work so well, I like the pole scabbard idea, keeps the sunlight off it, and keeps it clean, also don't get scratched up. Thanks for sharing.

12. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Hey thanks Tim.... I've got the 6 pole ABS rod tube for using on the air travels to fishing spots.... actually I have two of them.... can carry 12 poles ..... like I really need em....LOL

Well put the finishing touches on three more reel bags... one for the Abu 7001I left hand ... big cat rod .... and then its the salt water rigs...Kind of hard to cover them with the big ole cranks on them....

Here is a Pic of the big saltwater "trolling rig" and its scabbard..(got to re-due the velcro as the "sticky stuff" is a bunch of crap) and reel cover....

And then the Diawa "sealine" series for general saltwater fishing.....got to make two more for them, and then I have a "project" for Gary..."ToFish" with his normal Abu's...... got the plans down now...:wink: so to speek

13. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Ray, really nice covers. Let me know if ya ever make any to sell.:wink:

Jaime

14. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Dang Ray,,,

I feel awful now,, I can take a brand new, or new to me reel to the river, and fish 1-3 times, and any reel I've ever had looks like it's ready for the recycle bin,,,
    They work very well, but, look like Combat reels,, The rods don't fair much better, as I stuff the handles into the riprap and available flora lining the waterline,, and,, stuff suffers from aesthetic attrition to a high degree..

Now, you come along,, and develop a sophisticated system for protecting this expensive equipment from said attrition,,,

Which by the way looks like it will work very well...

However,, one problem may develop that I see,, How are you going to store all these covers, once you take them off the fish extraction units??? If you just have them layin about in your boat,, and take off somewhere,, they just may blow out!!! You might have to come up with a rod/reel cover,,, cover/bag!!

2K Posts,,,,,Congrats Bro!!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  15. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Good to hear from ya Greg.... Got some valid points my man... but as I explained..... the covers are for in the boat as I'm driving way down that way to go fishing or mostlly for my open-air garage.... I've got two seats with lots of space under... so wont blow out...

When I'm fishing in the boat... then its all un-covered and ready to use....lets see now.... 1. my make gill pole, 2. 2 each ugly sticks boat rods. 3. big water moyer rod. 4. my drifting "float rig". 4. my top water bass plugging rod. 5. top water spinner for strippers/bass 6. two trolling rigs for crappie/white bass..Then... its the shore pole for the camp area...but that would be in the RV. If I'm really thinking LMBass.. then I have a "flipping stick" with a "jig and Pig" set up...

All of these are set and ready to go when I get in the boat the first time.... If I had all the same reels then I might have a problem..

Tight lines....Bayrunner Ray

PS....Greg.... If I had one of your poles... I may not even put it in my boat with other folks... I have plenty of rod holders.. (to keep em out of the way).....

16. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I hear ya Ray,, Was havin a bit of fun,,

I'm still holding that rod you liked,,!!! and,, a few more I've produced..

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  17. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Big Ray - In my eyes you will always be the man when it comes do to making useful things Buddy.

Your one of the best that I've ever seen - that could make "Chinken Soup out of Chicken $hit"!
    :wink: lol:happy:

"Good Job" (As always)

Bert (Shania)

18. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Thanks Bert.... don't quite know what to think...."chicken shit".?:eek:oooh:...

but anyway folks.... I'm not going into business to make these things...

Ya see... last time I was with Gary "Tofish".... we went to some 4x4 spots.... I had been with him the day before.... and when he "turned" the hubs as we were leaving to go fishing.... I was somewhat confused as we did not need it the trip before....:eek:oooh:.

Well, he turned of the main road... and then went up a "hill".... Not that I was concerned... but the bait in the back was "sloshing all about"...:confused2:

Well, anyway we got some good ole dust in the back of his camper shell... and so that was one of the reasons why I wanted to make some reel covers..... for the back of someones truck.... and in my boat as I was driving to the River.... some 250-300 miles of riding....

Often we get some good ole dust storms on the way back from the river.. and thus the covers...

Got some pics of a few that I've done.... salt water, freshwater: Bassin reels, catfishin reels and some speciality reels that I use in the boat....

Pretty simple design... but had to figure out some different ways for the variety of reels that I have.....

Just have to take some time to do it....and a machine etc.

Bayrunner Ray

19. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Those covers are looking mighty fine there. Nice!

B

20. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Necessity is the mother of invention. (so they say). Looks like you have whipped up a winner. They look great.