Making slinky weights?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by wpsatisfide, May 8, 2006.

1. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Thinking of trying slinky weights, but cant find them and im sure it would be much cheaper to make my own. anyway I searched boards and the net with no luck. Guessing I can use bbs but im nost sure where or what id use for it. Some sites say rubber, vinyl, or parachute cord but I couldnt find anything small enough at home depot. Anyone got any ideas?

2. droptines

droptines New Member

what is a slinky weight?

3. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    looks like the attached picture, supposed to hang up less when you drift. Dunno figured id try it out.

Attached Files:

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Know anyone on oxygen that may have replaced their hose lately? Or is that not big enough?

Regrettably, all the good paying jobs start before I get up.

5. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    maybe check your local automotive parts store for some vacuum hose. some of that stuff is pretty small.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Home Depot has clear plastic tubing that goes down to about 1/4" inside diameter. It that won't work, what about aquarium air line... that goes down to about 1/8". And, you may try ebay for plastic or nylon tubing. Hope that gives you a head start on where to look. lol

7. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Kevin, I dont have a phone number ,but here is the address. WESTERN FILAMENT,INC. Grand Junction. CO. 81505.... It is called Slinky Drifter, Slinky Cord , It comes in different sizes. Tell them what size lead that you want to use. Hope this helps......Steve.........

8. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    One more thing Kevin, works best drifting with about 150 to 200 feet of line out, and rods on 25deg. rod holders, the best rod holder Ive found is the Dragmaster, (go figure)..........

9. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    [size=+1]here's the website for Western Filiment[/size]

http://users.acsol.net/~wfi/

I believe that no matter how good a friend is, they're going to hurt you every once in a while and you must forgive them for that.

10. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Kevin, Shrink tubing might work? I've not tried it but I saw some a Lowe's a while back and it comes in several sizes.

ST

11. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks Jeb, I was going to get the website , but you beat me to it. :embarassed: .

12. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    The heat shrink works but not as good as the slinky weight the heat shrink stiffins up and dont drag as smooth.WP I've been having the same problem finding the right cord too.You can buy the weights already made at blacks camp but they are outragouse.I went on the western filement website but cant figure out how to purchase the cord anybody know what I'm doin wrong.

13. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Save yourself the trouble and just string several 1/4 oz. egg sinkers on some 10 to 15 lb line (tie a snap swivel to the line first). On the last egg sinker, take the line around and through it 2 or 3 times, then once more but leave a bit of loop loose. Take the tag line, run it around the loop 6 to 8 times and pull tight. The knot should pull up inside the last egg sinker and it should hold the whole string of them fairly tight.

By using the lighter line, you'll either break the line or pull the last sinker off if the weights get hung up - either way, you'll preserve the main line.

To use the slinky weight, snap it on the upper eye of your barrel swivel between main line and leader, or if you want it to slide free like a carolina rig, put a glass bead on your main line above the barrel swivel and snap the weight directly on your main line above the bead.

This kind of weight works well for drift fishing. If you're still-fishing an area with a lot of snags, I'd just keep it simple and tie a sinker to a short length of light line, put a snap swivel above it and attach to your main line as above.

14. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Kevin,
    Gander Mountain sells lead about the thickness of a pencil in long lengths. Cut it into 1oz (or whatever) pieces and push the piece into the end of a 12" length of PVC tube that has 1/4" inside diameter. You may have to soften the tube in hot water. Put a snap swivel in the other end. These work great. They DO NOT hang up...W

15. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Kevin, Any of your hardware stores Will have all kinds of tubing. Also you can use hollow braided nylon rope, just cut it to what ever length you need and take a lighter and melt one end. Fill the other end with split shot and melt that end. Now just run some line through it and attach it to a swivel. Hope this helps...

16. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    thanks for all the ideas and help everyone. Guess ill go see what I can find and try a few different things until I find the one I like the best

17. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Western filament doesnt sell directly to public, but i talked with them and they said they have a guy who sells it by phone or on ebay. Bought some from ebay pretty cheap.

18. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I buy shoe laces at Sports Authorty. You have to make sure they are the shoe laces that are tubular and not the flat pieces of stiched material.

Then I buy buckshot from my local hunting store that they sell for reloading. 00 is about the biggest you want to go, 0 is better. I bought a big box last year and it lasted until last week, and I fish a lot!!

Simply cut open the lace, put in the amount of buckshot you need for the weight you want, and burn it shut with a lighter. You may want to try some different sizes to see what works best for you and your fishing conditions.

19. JRA

JRA New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I used to make slinkies all the time when I was salmon and steelhead fishing in Michigan (chuck-n-duck). I used parachute cord with round lead shot (sometimes buck shot for shotgun reloading). Cut the cord to your required length, pull out the inside fibers to make a hollow tube, melt one end with a lighter, stuff the shot into the cord, melt the other end, and run a snap swivel through the end of the cord to attach it to your line (slip sinker). You might be able to find the cord at some outdoors stores; hikers and such seem to like it as a utility cord. Something else you might want to think about is the hollow lead tubing. Cabelas carries it, and it comes in rolls of different diameters. It is soft and flexible. You cut the lead to any length, punch a hole in one end with a special pair of pliers (needle nose with a hole punch), and attach it to your line with a snap swivel. It is much easier than a slinky and works just as well in my opinion. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the pliers on the Cabelas web site; I bought my set at the Dundee store in Michigan.

20. henderson616

henderson616 New Member

State:
    washington
    You get some parachute cord and melt one end with a lighter and cut about 3 inches up. Then you fill it with buchshots used in shotgun shells then you melt that end. Now you poke a hole in the melted part and put a snap swivel threw it. Thats how you make a slinky weight.