Making sinkers

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by beetle, Apr 12, 2007.

1. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just got some sinker molds and a melting pot yesterday so I can make my own sinkers. Does anyone have any tips or tricks they can share?

2. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    the best trick is to make sure your mold is very hot. it took me like ten pours to make my first complete cast because it was cold outside. alot of people put a propane torch to it before they start pouring. I will be doing that next time

oh ya and be carefull

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Beetle, be really careful about getting any sweat, water or grease or other liquids in that melted lead, it will react like a bomb. Also if you take a candle, lighter or other flame source and smoke your molds, it will prevent the sinkers from hanging in it and help them release easier. You smoke them by holding the surface of the mold just above the flame until the surface becomes blackened. Read your paper work that came with your equipment, you can learn alot from it. Vern

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you are going to make sinkers that use some type of pull pins, Egg or no roll,you will want to lube the pull pins often. Some of the things that can be done is a soda can with motor oil, Pam cooking spray or a ring of bees wax to dip or pull the pin through. Makes it work smooth.:big_smile: