Making Sinkers

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Catman 1964, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Can you guys tell me how to get started making sinkers. What I am looking for is specific type and where to get lead. The trips to Sportsman's Warehouse for new sinkers is getting old. The fishing I do is mainly in lakes and the Rio Grande. Not to many snags but the Rio has a pretty good current. You all take care and God Bless.

2. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Check With Some Of Your "Mom & Pop" Tire Shops. They May Give You Their Old Tire Wheel Weights.

Don't Bother With The Larger Tire Shops, They Have To Recycle The Old Weights By Someone Who Gives Them A Receipt For Hazardous Material.

I'm Sure Bass-Pro Or catfish Connection Will Have Molds & Electric Smelting Kettles

3. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i cant wait to hear some of the replies you get from this thread ive been wanting to start making my own myself have you checked out the library there is some good info in there

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
  5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Here is another link I prefer. It actually shows you what the sinkers look like. Average mold price is around $36.00 or so. I have bought quite a few from them and can recommend their products. As far as lead, You should have scrap metal dealers in your area. Check with them. In OKC, the price of lead is .75 per pound. You can also get it off e-bay and if you watch your bidding, you can get it for about .50 per pound, including shipping.

http://www.do-itmolds.com/products/sinkermolds_i.php?UID=2006080815434270.177.80.48

6. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    check out millerrod&gun.com for good prices on molds

7. unclebear174

unclebear174 New Member

State:
    ky
    I went to a local tire shop and bought a 5-gallon bucket overfilled with tire weights for $10. This will keep me in sinkers for years. I use do-it flat sinker molds.

8. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Made some yesterday. Just got the pics downloaded and resized. I use a combination of pure lead scrap - 25-cents a pound at my scrapyard - and wheel weights - free at one tire shop that does not reclaim them. I usually melt and pour ingots with all the lead I have on hand, that way I'm working to cast with clean metal. Use busted crayons or parrafin to flux the molten lead.

My setup is a turkey fryer burner on a B&D Workmate for the burner, and an old aquarium stand with a board table for a workbench. This way, I can work fromthe burner to the table without taking a step. I have a board thru two legs of the burner screwed thru the holes in the workmate, just to make sure I don't push it off.I put a metal sleeve all the way up to the grate and down to the plate under the burner to keep the wind from blowing it out, and a metal shingle over the igniter to keep splashes from melting the knob. There's a board angled upright between me and the burner, to direct any splashes away from my valuable parts. In the burner picture, I work on the far side. Gloves and safety glasses are a must. There's a galvanized can on the right for dross, and the propane tank is well away on the back side, with aluminum fpil wrapped on the hose to shed splashes

Ingot mold is one I made in the toolroom from block aluminum. Black stuff is lampblack form an acetylene torch, but you can use a candle or cig lighter as well. Claen the molds with acetone and let dry before you black them.

Attached Files:

9. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Made NoRolls from 1 to 8 ounce, roundhead jigs 1/8 and 1/4 ounce on 1/0 hooks (sorry, walleye/saugeye and smallmouth are tempting sometimes), and football jigs in 3/8 and 1/2 ounce on 2/0 hook.

Does anyone have any tricks to catching and holding the jig hooks just right to get them positioned in the molds? The tweezers in the pic are about right, but a real pain in the ... when the hook is flipped over on the "wrong" side. Any help will be appreciated.

Need to pick up some more lead. Some years, when Young Whiskers and I were fishing the GMR 3 or more times a week, I'd pour 250 to 400 lbs of bank and no roll weights. Haven't got out but 5 times myself this year, so don't need too many.

Dennis

Attached Files:

10. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I have made some but some where on the internet I seen pictures of a guy using a tire weight that he took a hammer to one end and beat it a little flat and then drilled a hole in the flat part and there his sinker was. I have done it
    several times and it is easy and fast, not pretty but easy and who cares what a sinker looks like.
    Bill

11. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    can pouring your own sinkers be bad for your health?? i met a younger guy down towards Mcconnelsville fishing on the Muskingum.....he was showing me all of his sinkers he had poured then told me the lead level in his body was 19.4.....I know when you buy a pack of sinkers it has a warning of how lead causes cancer and all.......he says he pours sinkers all week then sells them to area bait shops......

12. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Jim what size & kind of sinkers are you trying to get started making? Molds usually make at least 2 weight sizes and some 5 per mold...like 1/4oz., 1/2 oz., 3/4oz., 1oz., all in one mold. Bank, egg, no roll, ect. sinkers. I would not pay store prices either. I got a hold of one of our brothers here on the BOC and had him make me around 9lbs of various weight and kind of sinkers. Michael did an Outstanding job making my sinkers and shipping them to me about 6 weeks ago. I know he would do the same for you. I also know where some new molds, still in the package are so let me know what you're looking for. PM me if I can help.
    Don

13. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Jim, when I was a kid my dad and I used to make sinkers for river fishing by using an old tablespoon for a mold. Just get some small screw eyes to mold into the sinker. The flat shape tends to go right to the bottem and not roll in a heavy current. You can't get a cheaper mold, just don't let the wife know you borrowed the spoon!:big_smile:

14. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    use bondo in halved container, wax the sinker and place in bondo to dry once its dry its good for 20 pours before you have to take a break.

15. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ol Whiskers/ Dennis:
    This will help you with pouring your jigs. Put a piece of simple masking tape over the hook eyelets to hold them in place. Eventually it will get sticky enough on the mold to hold them in there. I use this also for pouring the bass casting sinkers to hold in the ends made out of the snaps to other swivels that I take apart and bend.
    Good Luck..
    Vince
    TeamWhiskers

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    first of all breathing fumes from lead is verry serious stuff allways do it outside and stay upwind but you can buy a melying pot from LEEas well as almost any kind of sinker moulds for less than a hundred bucks as for lead i get mine from tire shops wheel weights work great hope this helps:confused2:

17. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Cheapest place for molds is Miller rod and gun like mentioned earlier. I couldn't believe the price, I get two molds and shipping for just a little over what it cost me for one mold locally and Miller has any mold you could want. I'm order a couple more in a couple weeks.

18. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    beeheck
    glad the link worked for you. my server won't pick it up for some reason.

seems like someone always bring out the health issue when a post is made on making sinkers. I'd like to know one thing that isn't bad for your health.
    to hot to go fishing, sun is bad for you.
    to cold to go fishing, your freezing me to death.
    don't eat to much, your getting fat, and it's showing!
    do it and get it over with.

19. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    One of my buds found a tire shop that would give him some wheel weights. He came to my house and we made a few sinkers. Thank you Shep for the wheel weights. He showed up with a 5 gal bucket half full of weights.

20. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

Kinda late in the thread but, the best place i've found for lead is any local metal recycling center. Typically, I can buy pure lead for 20-25 cents a pound. This is pure lead and usually requires very little in the way of preparation, just put it in the pot, melt it, skim off the slag and pour. 100 pounds is $20 and 100 pounds makes a lot of sinkers.

Paul