Making Sinkers

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Fradd, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Fradd

Fradd New Member

State:
    ohio
    Getting ready to buy a LEE LEAD MELTER and some molds off ebay but before i do what is the easiest way to get lead. I seen on ebay that you can buy it on there but it seems exspensive on there. Any suggestions??

2. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    try your local tire shop , they usually get rid of any old wheel weights also try a junk yard....i'm lucky enough that the tire changers save the old lead for me where i buy my tires :smile2:

3. Iablue

Iablue New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Most tire shops are glad to get rid of the old weights. That type of lead is good for most sinkers except the split shot. Too hard for the reusable type. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation if melting inside a building. Lead melting releases toxic fumes that will screw you up!!!!

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Junk yards are an excellent source in finding lead.

5. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    junk yards tire shops plumbers scrap yards theres a ton of sorces.

6. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Before you go and buy one here it a clue..bottom pour molds are not the best for pouning sinkers over 3oz. they dont pour fast enough...so if you are pouring big sinkers they are not the best a dip out or a palmers hot pot work the best...but if you dont use big sinkers...they are well worth the money!!!Do-it molds are the way to go!!

7. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I would also stay away from lee bottom pour pots. I would go with the cheaper hand pour style. my lee pot was the biggest headache:angry::angry::angry:

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Casey I have used Lee bottom pour post for years and never had a problem. If your lead is clean when you put it in the pot, you want have pouring problems. If using on larger molds you can drill the pour hole out just a little and it will pour faster. And last I would recommend that anyone thinking about melting and making sinkers, read the members library on this topic of " Sinkers Melting".

9. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I agree with frank thats how i get mine a local tire shop.

10. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    Like alot have said tire shops or scrap yards that where i get mine. cheap priced to less for the tire shop to deal with.

11. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Fradd, if you happen to be along the route from Gallipolis to South end of Columbus shoot me a IM. I have some lead I will give you.

12. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    What part of Ohio you in Aaron? Ramrod has a sinker making party usually yearly. Sometimes more than once if we pay him enough:eek:oooh:

13. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    lee pots work fine once you get the mold hot it does a fine job

14. Fradd

Fradd New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks for all the advise, i am from South Point which is located just off US 52 around the Huntington WV and Ashland KY area. I usually use anywhere between 3oz to 5oz sinkers but the snags are bad from the banks that i fish so i go threw around 10 everytime i go out. I figured it would save me money in the long run if i got all the equipment to start making my own, i figured alot of you guys do the same thats why i wanted to get the best advise before i buy anything..... again i appreciate your help.

15. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    I get mine at a scrap yard at .45 cents a pound and they let me pick what I want.