Making Sinkers

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by sgt_132, Mar 16, 2009.

1. sgt_132

sgt_132 New Member

State:
    N-W Ohio
    Went to the Pro Bass on Friday, picked up a new 5/8 - 3/8 oz egg sinker mold. Yesterday a buddy and i made a 1 gal pitcher full of the 5/8 egg sinkers. Rounded up more lead today from a recycling center, after work i melted it down and poured it into the wifes muffin mold pan. Well she was not to proud of me when she came outside and saw what i was pouring the lead into. Well I now have 24 more cakes of clean lead. Going to make a gallon of the 3/8 egg sinkers next.

Scott J. Stant
    Pandora, Ohio

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    lol i think we are all guilty of steeling the muffen pans lol just dont give it back to her to cook with:tounge_out::smile2:

3. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    You had better go to the Dollar store and buy her some more. I use cup cake pans also. I went and bought my own though. :smile2:

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Muffin pans:eek:oooh: Funny how they come up missin. Sure do work good though.

5. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How much is lead running a pound there? It is hard to find where I live.Thanks

6. sgt_132

sgt_132 New Member

State:
    N-W Ohio
    He charged me .20 cent a pound, I bought all he had at the time. I asked him to hold it back for me when he gets it in. I gave him $6.00 for what I bought yesterday.

7. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I reckon thats a good price, I went to a metal dealer and I think the price was around 3 bucks a pound in ingots. Pure lead would be nice, but not at that price. I'm tryin to get some wheel weights now, just gotta wait till they sort em out.

8. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i just paid 35.00 bucks for a 5 gal bucket of wheel weights at a small tire shop it made 50 or so muffins

9. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Our local scrap yard here was selling at .75 cents a pound a month ago. And the local tire shop would'nt sell the ones they had...

10. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I got 50#s of pure soft lead and 150#s of wheel weights. I got 30 bucks in all 200 #s.

11. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I think You got a great buy. I made ingots out of a five gallon bucket
    not quite 1/2 full and got 62 pounds. I would think a five gallon bucket
    full would be 130 to 150 pounds.

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Be careful and wear a mask!

Common sense says those fumes aren't to healthy to inhale.

13. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Well, they sure don't smell good. I bought 5 used molds a couple weeks ago, and an electric melting pot. Its a small one, but it melts enough to make 12-16 ounces at a time. Its slow and it is smelly. I have a cast iron ladel I use for making ingots after I clean it up. There is plenty time for the stuff to cool before the next batch is ready to pour.

The sinker molds I got get mighty warm and stay warm, they ain't like the mold I used last summer. good thing about this is I can pour small 1/4 oz sinkers because it keeps the lead nice and hot.

I got a mold that makes pyramid sinkers, and trolling sinkers, a storm sinker mold, egg sinker, bank sinker, and jig head. Some of em are kinda worn but I reckon still worth what I paid.

14. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Always enjoy the sinker making for some reason. Good luck with the wife!