Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I make(try to make) punch bait. is it just like dip bait with fiber in it?

What kinda fiber can I use?
any recipes for punch bait?

I tried looking in the library, couldn't find punch bait.

·
Registered
27 Posts
made some nasty stuff a few years back. I took what night crawlers and chicken livers I had left over from the day before. put that in a coffee can and took a paint mixer and used a drill to mix everything up. added some flour to get it thick. left it in the back of my truck for a week or so. it had to be a punch bait because you would not want to get that on your hands. if it gets too thick just add a little water and mix again. too thin add a little flour. could/should have used oats. the oats will wash with the current and lead the fish to your hook.

main thing is to try different stuff and keep a record of how you made it and the results.

take the base - flour, oatmeal, cornmeal, cereal bread ect..
add liquid - water, milk, fish oil, chicken/beef blood, soda ect..
flavorings - vanilla , garlic, cheese, eggs, bloody meats, ect..
colorings if you wish

main thing is you can make a lot of just the base and liquid. then divide it into 3 or 4 baggies and add different flavorings to each bag and try each on 1 trip.

have fun and hopes this helps.

KillerKilgore

if you stumble on a great bait let me know.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hi Justin I make a punch bait out of old cheese,flour,cat tail fuzz, and anise oil. It makes a dough bait that works like a punch bait does stays on a hook well. I like to use it in the summer cause dip baits get a little runny when it's hot.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
arn't punch and dip bait the same thing?

cattail fuzz from the brown cattail tops is a great fiber to use to thicken things up, and free too.

if you know of a trappers supply place or a trapper in your area ask them for some fish oil, it's rendered down oils from fish without the trash and junk. mix this with your grain base and you have a great starting point that will work as is, and you can add stuff like nasty smelling cheese and or whatever you want to try. the skys the limit when making your own bait.

one word of caution when using stuff like rancid meat or the like in your bait, you have just made a biohazard that will be full of nasty things like salmonilla and other stuff,ever heard of botulism? A spec or two of your bait anywhere in a open cut or in your mouth or wherever will make you a sick sick puppy if not super carefull. A preservative can be used to help make things alot safer. try out trapperman.com and look in the forum under bait making, just remember that you are makin fish bait and adjust your ingredients accordingly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.