Making plans for Lake Monticello and Santee

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by steve_b124, Feb 22, 2008.

1. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I'm planning to hit Monty in the morning for the day and have plans for Santee March 15th - 21st. We (3 of us from the church) will camp at Harry's. I will have my little boat and one of the others a 24' pontoon. The last time I fished Santee was October.

I will probably be by myself on Monty, my 14 year old son has gotten lazy on me. If you are out there tomorrow, I have a 15 foot aluminum v-hull with rod holders down the side. I'll put in at the upper ramp with a red S-10 truck. Hope to see you there - holler if you see me!

2. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good luck Steve. And let us know how you do.

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Good luck and leave me a few in Monticello.

4. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Saturday was certainly a tough day on Monty. I've heard all of the feast or famine comments, and now I believe them. I fished all day for 2 bites, both blues, 1st one about 9 - 10 lbs, second one about 4 - 5 lbs. Both were released. Both fish were caught on my 1st drift and on live herring. The wind picked up just after this and could not keep my drift speed slow enough. The fish I caught were in 40 - 42 feet of water. I marked a lot of baitfish and bottom arches in 40 - 50 feet of water. The water temp was running about 53.6 degrees.

Comment about safety when drifting. I drift sideways in my boat to give me more area for my spread. I use 2 small, 24" socks on my 15 foot aluminum V hull. Saturday the swells were pretty tall and the period between swells was such that second swell would hit while the boat was at maximum list due to the prior wave. This caused the boat to take on water twice. I pulled in the socks to allow the boat to free drift while I reeled in. This stopped me from taking on water. I then moved to more sheltered water. I would think that this problem may be amplified with larger drift socks. For safety reasons, when the seas get rough, we need to turn into the wind to make our drifts.

On the lighter side, while I was concerned with my safety and preparing to make a run to more sheltered water, I saw (guys, I don't drink or use drugs at all) a woman crossing the lake in a 10 foot john boat holding a pink umbrella. I know, there go the reputation marks, but I saw what I saw!

5. SC Backwoods Baitman

SC Backwoods Baitman New Member

State:
    Union,South Carolina
    Steve thanks for the report. You have days like that on them big jobs. :wink:
    As for the lady with pink umbrella I don't know:crazy::cool2::eek:oooh::big_smile:.
    see ya later.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Pink Umbrella? Ya, that was Chrisblue again. It used to be purple.

He is kinda weird like that sometimes.

The umbrella does not bother me as much as the panyhose though. He says it keeps his legs warm.

I don't know...

7. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    That's pretty wild. Monticello's scared me before. I'm not risking my life in those dern 5' swells anymore if I can help it. :crazy:

That lady must have had a death wish. Kinda like she was giving the wind the finger. That's funny stuff.:smile2:

8. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Went back Saturday. Lots of wind and waves, only one fish in the boat. Didn't see my lady with the pink umbrella, either. I was dissapointed, I had a witness with me, this time.

9. hammertime

hammertime New Member

State:
    Ga.
    Just got back from santee stayed at hills. Fished lower lake caught 155 lbs. One 53&30 lbs used cut mullet & perch.

10. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    did u fish deep or shallow i'm waiting to here some good shallow water reports before i go down.

11. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I fished everything from 10 feet to 90 feet. Marked a lot of arches in 40 - 50 feet of water. Also noticed a lot of suspended fish, holding at about 20 feet deep in 70 feet of water. Saturday I stayed on the upper end of the lake due to the wind.

Going this week to buy another drift sock, I have 2 - 24" socks on my 15' V-hull, but it just isn't enough to slow me on windy days. I think I will buy a 36" and then put out as many socks as needed. Any thoughts?

Leaving for Santee on the 15th. Get that blasted pin out of my finger on the 12th, I hope it makes it easier to handle the rod! We will be staying at Harry's (3 men from the church plus one man's wife, baby and grandmother. We will be in 2 travel trailers and have my boat and a 24 foot pontoon. If you see us out there give us a yell, we are a friendly bunch. I will be there till Friday morning.

12. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    i'll be down around that time. So maybee i'll run into u.

13. captinparker

captinparker New Member

State:
    SC
    When I drift, I put two drift chutes out the front, spread my rods at the front,crank up the 15hp 4 stroke & idle in reverse. Nice controled drife,boat moves very slow. Works pretty well