making my own sinkers

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by WV_Catfisherman, Jul 17, 2009.

1. WV_Catfisherman

WV_Catfisherman New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    im gonna start making my own sinkers, and just want to make sure i get everything i need the first time. my list so far includes:

Do-It Mold HtotPot 2
    Casting Thermometer
    Ladle
    Egg Sinker Mold
    No-Roll Sinker Mold

does that sound like everything? im having trouble finding the Bulk Lead Ingots. if anyone knows where i can get these online please let me know. am i forgetting anything? if anyone has any suggestions on making my own sinkers, let me know. thanks.

2. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey looks like your ready but be 100% careful ... man my buddy makes me 4/5oz for cheap there was a very small amount of moisture on the ground and he poured the left over and it exploded like a shot gun and lead went everywere.stuck in his skin he got very lucky.

he sells 4oz's for 40 cents and 5oz's for 45... cheap price for sure.:wink:

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    DO NOT GET WATER AROUND OR IN THE MOLTEN LEAD!!! Also have good ventlation when you are melting it. I get most of my lead from the scrap yard or tire shop.

4. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    I have to agree about the water. I learned the hard way:eek:oooh:. As far as lead try seeing if some of the tire shops in your area have old tire weights they would like to get rid of. Also chech E-Bay.

John

5. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    You might be able to get by without buying a ladle. I have one but I melt my lead in an old aluminum sauce pan. If you have a pull your own junk yard near by you can probably go there and take the wheel weights off the cars for very little money. Ask DALLAS1 about his ideas or check the member library for his posts over there.

6. bodach

bodach New Member

State:
    KS Emporia
    When I was a kid I was making some using a pop can my mom came home early I panicked and turned on the faucet to run water in it to cool it off faster life lesson hot lead + water = AHHHHH got lucky just some odd looking burns:sad2:

7. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds like you're good to go. I use an old leather welding glove when pouring--make me feel better:wink: Stay safe and be very careful!!!

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  9. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Try a scrap yard first. I pay .45 cents a pound for it and they let me pick what I want. I usually get old lead pipes. It is easy to cut up in usable pieces.

10. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Gloves.

Last time I had to use a regular leather glove inside of a thick welding glove and my hand was almost too hot by the time I made the amount I was wanting to make. Of course I don't have a fancy melting pot either, I used a small cast iron pot on top of a burner on a 1 lb propane bottle.

It takes a lot of heat to melt the lead plus you need to heat the molds up so the lead doesn't solidify before it fills the mold. That is what makes it so hot on your hands, but it may be better with a melting pot designed for the job.

11. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Read all the post, archives you can find here.
    All make sense, don't need to repeat it.

12. WV_Catfisherman

WV_Catfisherman New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    thanks for all the responses. found a place online to order lead from for about $1.50lb including shipping, so am gonna go with that to get me started. maybe over the winter ill try collecting it from different places. not really doing it to save money, just give me another hobby for my wife to complain about lol.

13. canebreaker

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Check out www.craigslist.org
    I saw an ad from manchester, tn., nashville listing.
    In material section, 5# plumbers block, new pure lead.
    250# for 50. or best offer.
    I don't have a use of the pure lead, to soft for bullets.

14. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Do you get yours from u-pullit??

15. canebreaker

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I have lead, hard lead for your larger sinkers. send me a pm.

16. jnordyke

jnordyke Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    You can also easily make several variations of weight using just 1 or 2 Do-IT molds. Lead weights "tack" easily with common electrical solder. My No-roll do-it mold makes 1 six and 1 eight oz weight at a time. After making a batch "full-size," I then open the mold halves up and pour a bunch of "half weights.

The half-weights don't have a hole in them for running fishing line, but you can embed a small length of picture hanging wire in the half-mold with a swivel snap attached.

Between single half and full weights and tacking multiple weights together with solder, I can make weights in more than a dozen sizes....

17. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    Craigslist was a good idea for lead also yard sales.

I just got a old Lee melter, 2 molds and 45lbs of lead for 15.00....what a deal. a buddy of mine got for me a whole coffee can of sinkers for 2.00.

Deals are out there just gota look.

18. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thout i should post this never use a aluminum pot to melt lead thats what i used when i first started and the high heat made the botom come right out when i picked up the pan i was very luck but the next man might not be so if you know any one that uses aluminum pans please pass this on