Making Jugs

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by Dirtdobber, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Any one use swim noodles to make jugs?

2. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yes I use noodles and they work great. I use 30 of them with friends and we do well everytime out.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
  4. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    I made 25 last year and did good on them. I used empty yogurt cups filled with concrete as weights, if one get hung you don't leave lead in the lake. I put reflective tape on top of mine so I can see them a night.

5. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    Checked out your site I like what I see. I am going to check mine and if I have to replace any I will be ordering.

6. slippedcork

slippedcork New Member

State:
    Marion Co Kentucky
    I use a 2 ltr coke bottle and attach my line to the neck. I wrap the line clockwise around the neck then drop the hook inside the bottle and twist the cap on. I dont use any weight to allow the fish to get a good bite before he realizes he is hooked. Also if its windy I dip my jug in the water and add my weight with around 1/4 water and they dont blow very bad. Also I spray paint my jugs with silver paint and they show up very well with a spotlight. I dont use noodles but I will watch this post and learn something for sure.

7. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    I used the coke bottles when I first started then went to the disc now I use the swim noodles. I like them best. I put reflective tape around the top so I can see them at nite. When I make more I will order the kits above

8. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Jim, you have my interest with the noodles, i don't suppose you have a photo?

9. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    Look at www.wildwolfproducts.com mine look like that. I use a wooden dowl with an eye hook to tie my line on and just wrap the line around the noodle. My wife eats a lot of yogurt so I used the empty container filled with concrete as weights. I'm going to buy the kits when I make more.

10. stillkickn

stillkickn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you like using 2 liter bottles try putting the cheap glow sticks from dollar tree in them. You can sit on the bank next to the fire and watch your jugs without using the spot light. The ginger ale bottles with the green tint to the plastic work the best.

11. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Noodles are the way to go wild Wolf products are the best I have seen I still have some I bought from Gene When he had Wildwolf

12. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    With our kits we have a hole in the top that allows you to stick a Glow stick in them. This way you can see each jug easy.
    The reflective tape works great also. But with the glow sticks you do not have to turn a light on to see them. Allowing your eyes the relief of seeing better in the dark.:smile2:
    Pete

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    And the chemlights from Wild Wolf are as cheap or cheaper than anywhere else I've found them. Here's a little trick if you don't use a foam noodle for a jug. Each container of 100 chemlights comes with a little package of 100 connectors. Glue a connector to each of your jugs, and you have a place to attach a chemlight.

14. 5511

5511 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    ShilohRed, I looked at the jug kits and viewed the video. How does the depth adjustment work though. I use noodles, and attach a snap swivel to the jug with a zip-tie then just unroll to what depth I want and snap the line in the swivel.

15. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    With the line hanging down below the spool. Grasp the line with one hand. While holding the bottom of the spool with the other hand. Take the hand with the line in it. And pick up the line until it comes over the top of the jug. As it comes over the top of the jug. The line will unwrap off the spool.
    That is one video I have to make as soon as I get a new battery. My camera will only run for 2 or 3 pictures to its time to get a new battery.
    Pete

16. Vector

Vector New Member

State:
    Midwest
    How big of a cat does it take until they can dunk the noodle for a while? I'd like to make some, and I really like the Wild Wolf gear, I'm just wondering before I commit if this is going to be a channel cat-only project, or if I could go after some flatheads with them too.

Thanks!

(LOTS of reading......this is my first post! :smile2: )

Vector

17. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use home made ones about the size of wild wolfs and have causht blues up to 40 lbs. they take ir down but can't hold it under The biggest flathead I have caught on them was 32 lbs

18. Vector

Vector New Member

State:
    Midwest
    :wink: Thank you Mr. Dobber! That will work for me! I appreciate the quick response!

Vector

19. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71524

This is how I made my flagging jugs, they work great and you will know if the jug has had a hit before you get to it. The draw back is the weight, 20 of them in a bag are pretty heavy. Also the 4 and 6 year old grandkids have a hard time handling them. I'm ging to cut off the caps, loose the rebar, and install new caps before we use them this year so the grandkids can handle them easier.

20. Vector

Vector New Member

State:
    Midwest
    AH! Thanks 777! Great ideas there!

Vector