making jerky

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by JERMSQUIRM, Nov 5, 2005.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    does any one else have one of these? talk about easy. makes quality jerky from ground venison. :eek: :wub:

my buddie brought it down the other day. i had just got 35# of burger from the "uncle got a nice 10 point" deer pictured in the quaote post. i already told the wife to get me one and extra racks for x-mas. :D

simply take thier seasonings and follow the instructions or i preffer my own. mine is the darker. i use soysauce a bit of catsup for a sweet tangy taste brown sugar and some spice. habenaro powder and some tss in the latest batch thats cooking now and mix. refridgerate overnight and fill the caulk gun. squirts right out. tubes or flat sticks attachments. fill the wire rack and put in oven on 200 and crack the door open an 1" and flip a few times every 30 min and in 2 hrs jerky. :D it don't get much easier than that.

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    the store seasoning is the lighter redder stuff. not as good as mine. 45 people tried them all and preffered mine 100%. theres didn't have that soy jerky flavor. still ok though. i pumped out 4 pounds of burger in a day. makes 2 # jerky. got 4# cooking now that makes another 2# and 4 defrosting. my buddie brought 12# and said jerk it all its last years and im gonna be shooting another deer soon so use it up. :wub: lol, i got some work to do. i even sprinkle cushed pepper flakes on it to give it the pro hot look. ;)

3. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    I'M STILL KINDA OLD SCOOL WITH MY JERKY I STILL DO IT THE OLD FASHION WAY ,CUT IN THIN STRIPS SEASONED AND PUT IN THE OVEN ON RACKS ON THE LOWEST SETTING AND (500)..lol..HRS LATER THE JEKY IY IS DONE....

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    this rack works with whole sliced meats too. this kit however makes it from ground meat. chicken pork turkey wild game. i didn't relize you could jerk ground meat till i seen these. i made some sliced beef jerky with the rack but i can't post pics of it. it was all eaten already. :wub:

5. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    Yeah, I used to have one of those. I can't remember where I bought it though. I never tried the oven but a food dehydrator works good too.

6. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    i like making jerky out of ground meat. taste is comparable, and its easier on these old teeth. i built racks for my brinkman smoker. i can smoke 6lbs in about 4 hrs. good stuff. :wub:

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Next time you do it, try adding a package of good seasons italian salad dressing mix to your liquids along with your other spices. It works great when I marinate cut strips of venison.

Everyone's loved it and can't figure out the extra flavor.

8. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Great pics jeremy. You're always finding some new way to make my taste buds come to life.

I have a quicker and easier way to make jerky.

I just post sal something about democrats and there ya go! LMAO!
    (course it's tougher than yours)

I have used the dehydrater method too.

9. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    Im old school too. I use the dehydrator. I dont wanna waste the ground stuff on jerky. Im selfish with my deer burgers :p

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    im supprized how good it is. ide rather use the ground for jerky and slow smoke the roasts. :cool:

11. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    one thing I like to do sometimes is with the marinated strips I take my pepper grinder and crack some fresh pepper over the strips when I put them in the dehydrator. I also use some soy and dale's in my marinade. I do both the ground beef and strips and have had no complaints from either. I think the best was some teriyaki garlic deer jerky I made last year for a friend, He ate the whole gallon ziploc the very first night he had it.

12. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    interesting post about the jerky guns, ive never used one but have considered it in the past. I too am old school in my jerky making and will usually make one deer's worth each season. every now and again ill make some pan sausage or link sausage mixed w/ pork fat but just cant seem to bring myself to grind up perfectly good deer meat for burgers. (im not a burger fan anyway) i do all my own butchering too so my scrap pile for the grinder is rather small.

my jerky is labor intensive and takes a long time but my friends and family swear by it. (when i dont make it too spicy for them hahaha)

meat, about 6 to 8 inch strips as thin as i can cut them by hand with the grain when possible. (a tad more work on the teeth this way but it doesnt get crumbly as it can when cut against the grain) at least the backstraps and rear hams worth.

marinade, dark beer, worchestershire, soy, lemon juice, lime juice, crushed garlic. let the meat sit in this a few days in the fridge stirring up once a day.

drain meat allowing to mostly dry, then make a dry rub seasoning. i use sage, red pepper, cajun seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, whatever you like just not too much salt. (the meat is already cooked via the acidity of the marinade)

poke a toothpick thru the end of each strip and suspend each one on two wires of the rack in your oven. oh, line the bottom of oven with tin foil or youll have a hell of a mess to clean up. once you have all the strips dangling from the wire racks put the oven about as low as it will go and prop the oven door open just a wee bit. i use a folded over dishtowel or such. just enough of a crack to allow the humidity to escape. check it after several hours to obtain the level of dryness you desire and its done.

this recipe is for the more traditional hard dry preserved jerky that will keep indefinitely. if one prefers the soft slim jim in a bag chewy stuff they just dont cook it as long and store the jerky in the fridge.

enjoy....
    chad

13. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    a buddy of mine makes awesome venison jerky, and ive heard of that method, but he uses a dehydrator and solid cuts instead of the ground venison. it takes a couple days for a batch to be ready, though.

14. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    I used to make and sell Jerky to a couple beer bars near here. I used thin hand sliced,cuts of beef.
    I'd marinate them for two days in the fridge,then pop in a dehydrator for I think 24 hours.
    usually had 3 going all ay once.
    Trick is when doing this, you must add some salt to help keep bacteria from growing during the start of dehydration. I'm pretty sure thats in your instrution sheet that comes with the dehydrator/jerky maker.

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    starting 4 more #'s today. the ground works great. i cant believe how easy it is. been chewing on it every couple hrs. think ill go rotare the batch and grab a dry peice.

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    Bayoubear that sounds good. i have a big roast that i just may try your style. sounds reel good. i preffer the sliced whole meat jerky but this method is easy and i never knew it would work with ground. my uncle gave me 1/2 the meat from the big buck he just shot and the fool doesn't know how to cook and says deer is to dry and the moron had 4 roasts cut and the rest groung. :eek:

fool

so i got 35# of burger and 2 roasts. i wasn't real happy and asked where the chops and steaks were. thought he kept all them and gave me alll the burger. no. he had it all ground. :crying:

so im making a bunch of jerky with the kit. it aint the only jerk. lol.

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    STOP!!!!! I try and keep myself physically fit and in shape.I just went to the scale and I gained six pounds just reading these posts.No telling what I'd weigh if I actually had some of that jerky!!!!!I can hardly type now because my mouse is all covered with drool.I had a friend that used to make Elk jerky with wine and it was the best I ever had.We used to carry bags of it when we went ice fishing and we ate so much we never had to worry about being pulled through the hole by a big fish.

18. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    wow, 35 lbs of burger. dont think ive eaten that much burger in the last ten yrs combined. i did put a jerky gun on my list for santa claus so im sure ill get one next month. will try it with beef first and if i like it okay i may be just a tad more liberal with the scrap pile when butchering out a deer. maybe the neck and front shoulders and trimmings. eeeek... i just dont understand takin a deer to a processor. butchering may be time consuming but its not hard to do and you know for a fact youre getting all your deer meat back.

perhaps im just too cynical but how could any processor when told to make it all hamburger not keep the backstraps or tenderloins for himself? to me tossing those in the grinder is as shameful as takin them.
    but.... not to be totally on my soapbox, hahahaha
    i do know some people that actually prefer a lot of hamburger meat and while i myself cringe at the thought.... each to his/her own. at least they are feeding their families with it and not collecting horns only leaving the meat to rot.

all this jerky talk has me craving some so i guess ill go get a hind quarter out of the ice chest and get busy... yum yum yum

chad

19. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I take all my deer to a processor. Our butcher is a custom Hog butcher by trade. He's also a friend and a neighbor. I've also got 3 or 4 of my friends take their deer to him. I'm sure he gives us all the meet off our deer. If he kept a backstrap or roast for himself off every deer he butchers, he'd have to have a freezer the size of his garage. And if he does? Oh well, it's still worth it for me. LOL Last year when I called for my first deer he said he had 34 deer ahead of mine. And that was just in the opening week of gun. Can you imagine how many he does in a year? LOL He charges from 25 bucks up to a max of 45 bucks for processing a deer. Big deer are 45 bucks no matter how you want it done. He'll cut it into any combination of cuts you want for that amount. Standard which is steaks, roasts and burger or just ground, or just the rumps as roasts and the rest ground or however you want it. Last year he also processed and turned a whole deer into summer sausage for us for 40 bucks. I have cut up my own deer before and I just can't see taking the time and making the mess for what I spend. I take it to him, he hangs it for as long as I want him to in the cooler, then a day later I have my deer. I must say he's a private individual and does all this in a home built butcher shop, but he's state approved for business and has his USDA stamps too. He gets inspected 3 or 4 times a year too. Unannounced inspections, so I have a lot of confidence in what he does for me. If he ever quits though, I'll probably buy a commercial grade meatgrinder(about 500 bucks) and do my own. I've used the hand grinders like you mount on a table, and I've watch him put it through his commercial grinder. No comparison at all. LOL I'm spoiled with him as a butcher now. LOL

20. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Post your deer jerky recipes here too. Share it with everyone that way.