Making it happen1

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by MattTheFlatCatKid, Oct 6, 2018.

1. MattTheFlatCatKid

MattTheFlatCatKid Well-Known Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore
    Ok so im visiting my grandma in TN again. Last time i left a whole skipjack frozen in the freezer since they were so hard to come by. Last night i tried a spot under a bridge. Deep water with alot of activity. Carp i thought. Well the skipjack wasnt cuttin it even though it was cut bait. And i tried my nightcrawlers. Found a ripped up net and tried casting on top of small bluegills hiding in the rocks. Tried to spear one. Tried the "Here fishy, fishy.." Thing lol
    I never got a bite.
    Well Im here one more night and was able to catch bait. Got a bucket. Got back but didnt have an aerator. Got it. Put them in the tub and let the water drip. The fish are happy but my grandma isnt! I told her i would pay her water bill though.
    So tonight i still have the head half of the skipjack and some live bait and im hoping on catching something at least 80lbs. So wish me luck guys and good luck to everyone fishing tonight, get on em. 20181006_182425.jpg Tight lines and fish on!

Zigarro, KENCAMP, SHOWME and 6 others like this.
  2. Fire&Cats101

Fire&Cats101 Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Jonathan
    I am extremely surprised you managed to keep bait alive with tap water due to the chlorine. Glad that worked out for ya though.

MattTheFlatCatKid likes this.

3. Horsehead

Horsehead Well-Known Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Name:
    Jeff
    Could be well water.

4. MattTheFlatCatKid

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore
    All but one died and someone else said something about the chlorine as well. It's odd because I have city water at home and it never kills any fish.

Zigarro likes this.
  5. Fire&Cats101

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Jonathan
    It has a lot to do with the amount of chlorine and other chemicals a municipality uses. Those factors are based on the water supply and how unfit it is for human consumption. It’s rather ironic that the chemicals they add to it for people to drink will kill anything. Yet we are supposed to believe it is safe to drink and causes no issues.

6. MattTheFlatCatKid

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore
    Google Search Hamilton Ohio water. That's what comes out of my faucet.

7. Fire&Cats101

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Jonathan
    You are very lucky.

8. MattTheFlatCatKid

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore
    Yes I'm guessing that's why they don't die at home but they did at my grandmas. Next time I will buy a 5 gallon aerator that plugs into the wall and keep it there.

Zigarro likes this.
  9. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    L.W.
    Good luck~ next time!

10. eastforker

eastforker Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    In a jam grab a couple buckets of water from the river or pickup some gallons of baby water. Baby Bubbles battery powered aerator for on the move and an aquarium aerator for the house.
    I normally use 3 or 4 gallons of water in a kitty litter pail the bait seems to last a little longer the little bait buckets never seemed to even keep minnows alive very long for me.

11. MattTheFlatCatKid

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore
    Thanks for the advice. I do need an aerator to keep at her house. I don't use the battery operated ones. I used to but I keep them alive no problem on the go just by dumping water back in the bucket. Keeps it oxygenated enough I guess.

Zigarro and eastforker like this.
  12. Ammo

Ammo Well-Known Member

State:
    Glendale, AZ
    Name:
    Don
    It would be nice if I could keep a supply of baitfish at home. Here, if Arizona Game & Fish catches you moving live fish from one body of water to another you get SERIOUSLY fined. (Minnows excepted)

13. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    That happens in most if not all state's David... Most don't know the law.

14. MattTheFlatCatKid

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore
    Yea we aren't "allowed" to use bait from a different body of water in another. There's tons of rules but I think it's more of a guideline lol besides fishing is living. The fact that I need a license just so I can catch some fish is pretty upsetting. Not gonna go on a political rant but I feel like the chains of freedom get tighter every year.

Fire&Cats101 and Zigarro like this.
  15. Fire&Cats101

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Jonathan
    Gotta love liberals and politicians.:puke:

16. eastforker

eastforker Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    A few weeks ago I had caught a green sunfish and a couple bluegills and some chubs I just threw them in my bait bucket with no water and fished for an hour and a half. When I got home I put the fish in ziploc bags and threw them in the fridge. After eating supper I take the bags out of the fridge and go fishing which was about an hour later. It's takes me about a 15 minutes to drive to the river and I get there and setup and was getting one pole rigged up for flathead. I was going to cut up the biggest bait I had which was the green sunfish. I pull the green sunfish out of the ziploc baggie and he jumps out of my hands so I hook him through the lips and dropped him in the river and sure enough he was swimming so I used a refrigerated live green sunfish for bait he even pulled the rod tip down a few times. The bluegills were a little stiff and dead and some of the chubs were still shaking but dead. I'm not sure how that fish made it but green sunfish are a pretty hardy fish.

17. MattTheFlatCatKid

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore
    In your heeeeead! Zombieee zombieee!

18. Ammo

Ammo Well-Known Member

State:
    Glendale, AZ
    Name:
    Don
    Green sunnies are some tuff little buggers. They and tilapia are my favorite flat bait.

19. Panfish Bill

Panfish Bill Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Bill
    I had Green Sunfish survive being frozen solid in my tote....

eastforker and MattTheFlatCatKid like this.