Making Homemade Oils

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by Bigbaldcountryboy, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Bigbaldcountryboy

Bigbaldcountryboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've been using homemade oils for years both for trapping and fishing. Get yourself a big pickle jar and fill it half way with catfish heads,skins or even small whole bullhead catfish work great. Next put enough water in the jar to barely cover the fish. Cover the top of the jar with cheese cloth or some old panty hose. Take the jar lid and poke several holes in it and screw it on over the cheese cloth.( the cheese cloth is to keep the fly's out) Set the jar on top of your shed or somewhere were it won't get disturbed.In about 4-6 weeks the fish rots down and all the oil comes to the top. You can either just pour the oil off or use an injector needle to extract the oil off the top. Use the oil as a dip bait or sponge bait. I like taking a small bullhead and sewing a dipped piece of sponge into the belly cavity. You can make your own oils from most anything using this method like shad,crayfish,shrimp etc..,and they are much more pure and effective then commerial oils.

2. charlestoncatman

charlestoncatman New Member

State:
    arkansas
    i only have one comment on this tip...eww that smell, cant you smell that smell? lol:eek:oooh:

3. Bigbaldcountryboy

Bigbaldcountryboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You can use this by itself or spice it up with anything, use your imagination. On the smelly part the oils don't smell all that bad,but the stuff left in jar does. I've used it to chum with but cann't say it really helped or hurt the fishing.

4. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Bob,

Thanks for the good information....I've read an article in the past that gave a recipe for just that kinda thing...I don't remember it mentioning covering with water, but that would work....I love gathering info on "homemade oils/baits"...Thanks again, Dwight