Making flat sinkers?

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by BIGCATFISH64, Mar 3, 2009.

1. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    My brother-in-law and I have spent the last few days collecting lead and pouring our own egg sinkers, I wanted to make some flat bank sinkers for the Ohio river, so I got on here and read about how to make a mold out of bondo, well it worked out o.k. but the mold did'nt last very long, and I was wondering if anyone might have any other ideas on how to make them? Or would it just be best to get on a mill and machine a mold out of aluminum?

2. viperdragon6662003

viperdragon6662003 New Member

State:
    IL
    i have seen something on here of someone making them with a drywall mold and coat hangers(for the hole in the middle) and you pour it in the space you cut out of the drywall. but if you can make a mold on the mill that's the way i would go could use that forever

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    If you have access to a machine shop you could go that route.
    Myself, Id just put up the money to get a Do It mold and be done with it. It will make you perfect sinkers everytime and will pay for itself in no time.:wink:

4. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    But some people like the challange of the diy way. I have a 4" by 9" that is3/4" thick chunk of aluminum that will be cut for 4 each 1.5oz, 2oz, 3oz and 4oz no roll all on one mold. You can not buy one like that any where. I like pouring lead I sell them to people I meet. Sometime we get some beer and stock up on sinkers. We may pour 20# of sinkers at a time.

5. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Doug,

You need to talk with River Scum. He went to the tire store & got a whole bucket of wheel weights for free, hammered them flat, drilled a whole in the end, and there ya go -- flat no-roll sinkers. They work great and are basically free! I don't think I've seen River Scum use anything but those sinkers.

6. j to the wizzle

j to the wizzle New Member

State:
    United States
    hey bigcatfish64, if you are looking for a certain mold and are willing to spend about 30 dollars including shipping and handling..... I have a great place for you it's called zeiner's bass shop in KS I have bought off of them they are great to deal with and very fast shipping at most three days to get it and they are brand new DO-IT molds and they have every kind you need

http://www.zeiners.com/doit/doitmolds.html

this is the web address for it and they have online ordering very easy:smile2::smile2: hope you find what you are looking for good luck :cool2:

7. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I use to have a flat bank sinker mold but after years of use it broke. So now I pour regular bank sinkers and hit them flat with a hammer. This also works well with egg sinkers to make no rolls.:0a26:

Later,
    Chris

8. rollinrooster69

rollinrooster69 New Member

State:
    indiana
    there arent free i work at a tire store i get them for river scum you want some get a hold of me

9. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    I agree with Justin Their molds work like a dream and last for ever.

10. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Mooresville bait and Tackle have molds and "bricks of lead also.... I seen the drywall thing too.... looks interesting--- but also looks like alot of work. I like river scums method if you ask me... (redneck to the core lol) all I'd say-with any sinker... beware of sharp holes.

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Mooresville bait and Tackle have molds and "bricks" of lead also.... I seen the drywall thing too.... looks interesting--- but also looks like alot of work. I like river scums method if you ask me... (redneck to the core lol) all I'd say-with any sinker... beware of sharp holes.

12. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Where would you get a do it mold from in a no roll sinker style? Ive not seen these pictured in catalogs or at the bass pro shops? Thanks.

13. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Allen they prob. stock them on the shelf. You might try going to DO IT molds web sight it would prob. be easier to just get one from the source.

14. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In

check out the zeiners website mentioned in post #6 on this thread.. they have em for $30

15. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Mooresville Bait and tackle (Indiana) is where I got mine

16. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    That would be a whole lot easier!:wink:

17. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I had thought of the ideal of using old spoons as a mold for flat sinkers.
    Any one game?:wink:

18. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    seen that Dave, also beer can bottoms with a small snap swivel laying over the edge. i still like the slender shape of the tire weights, but maybe is just my rocky type river. by the way rooster i need another bucket or two please ol buddy ol pal. lol :wink::wink::wink:

19. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    It's been a while since I've heard that expression & it wasn't good.:eek:oooh:

20. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    David, I like your posts bro! Quite a few of them have make me think and wonder just what the hell you could possibly be talking about-:confused2: lol.... During the winter time-- when cabin fever has set in, that's a good thing!
    Can't wait to meet you in person! You seem to be a great guy!