making drift sinkers

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by cliff n york, Aug 12, 2008.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I need help making drift sinkers. I have done a search and can't find info on subject. Can anyone tell me what kind of rope and how much weight is needed?

2. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Cliff, go to the membes library, members library table of contents, table of contents, page 2 , sinkers-, making drift sinkers. hope this is what your looking for , good luck.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I use shoelaces, and you can buy them at Sports Authority and other stores. They have to be the tubular shaped laces.

How many you needs depends on how many sinkers you want to make.

I use 00 buckshot in mine, and that means 15-17 pellets per sinker. Some folks like more, some like less. I suggest you play around a bit and find out what works for you.

I use a stray from McDonalds to help insert the pellets into the lace, then I burn the ends shut.

Fairly simple.

Sit down, watch TV, drink a cold one, and make some sinkers. :smile2:

4. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    I use a "STRAY" from Mcdonalds to help insert the pellets.......

Now Deiter, Does he bring over a Big Mac and Fries when he comes?:smile2:

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the tip!

6. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    the trick to slinkys is tightly woven cord. the balls will pop out of the side if the cord is not tight woven. i make and sell them in the 1 oz. size. they are the best weights to drift with. very few snags.

GARY:smile2:

7. AgentDuder

AgentDuder New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I make mine out of parachute cord and either 00 Buck shot or 36 cal mussel loader shot. I go for 3 oz and it takes about 17 of the 36 cal shot. I also took a peice of 200lb down rigger cord with 3, 1oz egg sinkers spaced by knots with a snap swivel on one end dipped in the rubber. These work well and end up shorter that the shot in the paracute cord. Plus they look cool. I also have a supply of egg sinkers because "skipper" and myself poured up about 50lb of lead the other week.

Hopes this helps...

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....Now Deiter, Does he bring over a Big Mac and Fries when he comes?..."

No Big Macs for me brother! 38 pounds gone and counting, and Big Mac are not a part of the plan!! :smile2:

9. Skipper

Skipper New Member

State:
    S.C.
    To add to agent duders post. The cord comes frome barres army navy supply and it is listed as sinker cord that works great for 00 buckshot. Also (for a smaller diameter weight)the #4 buckshot works great in the standard size parachute cord.

10. Chalk

Chalk New Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
  11. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Thanks for the tips guys. I am amazed everytime I read a new post, I learn something new! Thanks again!