Making Crappie Beds

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by BamaCats, Jun 22, 2006.

1. BamaCats

BamaCats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Just thought i would put this idea that we have used in the past for making artifical beds for crappie adn bluegills. We take bamboo poles or you could use PVC pipes about 2 1/2" - 3" and about 10-12' long go out to your favorie lake or river and put them in a row about 2ft apart adn just enough space between them that you can put a hay bale. this way you can fish around them and never get hung up. you can stack two hay bales if you want.
    Hope i didnt confuse anyone with this, if i did just let me know i will try to explain it to you.

2. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I have a couple questions on your crappie beds, have you ever done this before? How long to they last? What is the purpose of the pipe under the bales? It seems like the wire/string would deteriorate around the bales and they would just fall apart and/or rot. Just curious.

3. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Click here for the library table of contents. There are a few ideas in there on the 1st and second page for home made crappie structure. If you have other ways of doing this, then by all means post some pics and instructions and we'll get it in the library for everyone. Thanks.

4. BamaCats

BamaCats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Beeheck, yes i have helped a guy do this before, they usualy last about 4-5 months before the hay starts falling apart and drifting apart. Then we just wait a month and go back with fresh bails of hay and drop it down between the poles and come back in a few weeks and the fish dont seem to mind. There are no pipes under the bales the pipes are standing straight up. they dont have to be as tall as i said, they can be just under the water or they can be sticking out from under the water so you iwll know where they are at. As soon as i make up some more i will post some pics so you will get and idea of what i am talking about adn it will not be so confusing.

5. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If you are talking about making homes for crappie, I do something different. Me and my dad go driving around neighborhoods December 26-28. Why? People throw out their dead christmas trees. We tie them to concrete blocks and make brushpiles at our lake. Catch everything from cats, bluegills, crappie, and bass from them.

6. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Thanks, BamaCats, now it makes sense, sorry I was so dense I just couldn't figure out what the posts did under the bales. Makes more sense to use them as guides for the bales.

7. CountryCarp14

CountryCarp14 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    one year me and my dad went to local houses and picked up christmas trees and put them in the bottom of the lake.:0a30: