making coyote & fox bait

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by Sharpy22, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Sharpy22

Sharpy22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have some old deer meat and would like to know how long i should let it sit t get the stink on and how to preserve w/out out anymore decay and what to use for that. Any help would be great thanks or any recipes for it also thanks sharpy

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Matthew,I never used much bait when trapping for coyotes,I only used flat sets with gland lure on them,A cow vertebret with a blob of sheep wool or a few cotton balls stuffed in the spinal cord hole ,smear sonme gland lure on iy and turn the lure face down . maybe a shot of coyote or fox urine on it and you cant go wrong. For bait preservation,MSG or Sodium Benzoate powder will stop the rotting process and preserve it at that stage.The amount you use will depend on the amount of bait you are preserving.

3. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    1 tablespoon of Sodium benzoate to a 2 cups-quart of bait depending on thickness of bait is about right. We use 2 tablespoons to 4 +/-cups as norm. We chunk most of our meat up into golfball size pieces. For red meat bait a 1-2 day taint in the summer heat is about right. Fall weather maybe a week if it stays under 50 or so. No set rules about it, just got to try a few things and see what works for you. Tainted meat bait/base works good by itself but you can change it up or improve it with additives depending on the critters your chasin. Spoiled blue cheese is popular as is several other oils etc. Limburger is a good one too. Let me know if I can help with specific recipes etc.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Got a recipe using mice?

have a good 1
    just

5. backwoodsman68geric

State:
    illinois
    One we use is 1/2 a gallon pickle jar of mice, let it ferment for 2 weeks or so. Once it gets that micey smell add 5 tablespoons of Sodium Benzoate to stop the taint and mash them up best you can, they'll be slimey and you'll test your gag reflex. Makes a good bait as is or you can add other stuff. One is skunk essence 1 oz to 1 gallon of tainted mice. You can do the same to roadkill cats but I never said that. Mice make a good attractant for yotes, fox, mink, coons, possums n skunks. All strong non sweet additives work good. Fish oil, castor/glands etc. Bleu cheese works good too, as does limburger.

6. outdoorsaddict

outdoorsaddict New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Some pretty inexpensive bait solutions out on the market that are highly effective. I have used some from Bob Jamison and some from Paul Dobbins. Had much sucess with both. I prefer no taint on my bait. Too fine a line to get it stopped in time of being too rotten to interest bobcats. I always add skunk essence to all bait. Hate to see guys use inferior bait when proven formulations are so readily available. A lot of wasted time if you bait is no good. All IMHO. Matt

7. backwoodsman68geric

State:
    illinois
    I wish we could trap our bobcat's. Never messed with them before. I was a professional trapper and had to make my own bait and alot of my lure. Some years I/we had over 300 traps out and that takes alot of bait and/or lure. Commercial baits cut into the profit too much. If a guys running a dozen or so traps it would probably be more cost effective to buy his bait/lure. Unless he's naturaly curious or has some ingredients he wants to try.

8. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I would have to agree, but we also use a lot of coyote urine. The only luck I've ever had with meat and coyotes, is to kill and use the meat fresh, handling it as little as possible (none if possible), and only with rubber gloves.

9. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    My preference for fox is a fresh bait. Although a tainted bait will catch too, you will end up catching more possums and skunks with tainted bait and I hate catching both of them. ....... Garry-

10. TJD

TJD New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The best bait / lure I ever used wasn't bait. A friend had beagles. When his female came into heat he did not want to breed her. So he put her in a cage made from an old air conditioner cover we attached a jar to the drain hole and caught her urine. We strained out any solids. I divided it into four oz. bottles and froze them untill I need them. A few drops of that stuff on a scent post set caught more citters than all of the bait I ever used. All types of land animals were caught with it. The largest bobcat I ever saw was caught on it.

If you are using a very strong smelling bait and have traps that are thrown with only a few long hairs in the jaws guess what is happening? Canines love to roll on stinkie stuff. They may be throwing the traps as they roll on the bait. Save the strong smelling bait untill the weather gets very cold.

11. TJD

TJD New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It is me again.
    I chase coyotes more than foxes. While beagle pee is my best lure. Here is my No. two lure. Take four ozs of red fox urine and add four drops of skunk stink. As the temp. drops add more stink.
    My favorite meat bait is beaver meat. I agree with the guys that use fresh or almost fresh meat. Beaver meat will give of its odor even when frozen and bobcats goes nuts over beaver. I gang set using the beaver meat, beagle pee and skunky fox urine. If there is any interest I could tell all.

12. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I agree with Garry , tainted bait for me always caught alot of skunks and opossums . Always caught fox and coyotes with a urine scent or squeling rabbit on tape with a red light . For mink and muskrats we always used fish with fish oil scents .

13. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I agree 100% with TJD and this staement .... like I said earlier. Iuse very little scent and if I have multiple sets in a given area, I may use a skunk based call lure to bring them into the area and then use a drop or two lure and a small sprinkle of urine at each set. Any bait I use is pretty fresh and change it out after a day or if not producing. Cuts way down on skunk and possum catches.

Garry-

14. backwoodsman68geric

State:
    illinois
    You never want the bait/scent to be on your trap as canines do love to roll on anything dead. We have alot of luck with dirtholes etc with a tainted bait in the hole. Cache set works good too for fox with a tainted bait. Ive tried every lure and bait combo I could come up with to try and keep slicktails and stinkers out of my sets, aint found one yet. I try to gang set and thin out the slicktials and stinkers while we still have good trapping weather to chase fox, yotes and coons.

15. TJD

TJD New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like to find a long weedy fence row or a weedy ditch. At a gate or an animal crossing make a dirt hole set (bait hole). Now move out in a circle 12 to 15 foot and make urine sets. Look for an outstanding rock, weed stump, cow chip an old cow bone and anoint it with a few drops of fox urine or beagle in-heat pee. The grin-ers and stinkers hit the dirt hole. Ever coyote that comes thru will circle around the skunk and leave it's calling card. Make sure you have a good stout trap waiting. I have pictures that show a skunk or a coon or a possum in a set next to the fence and a coyote in the fore ground. It was fun.