Making Corn Chum

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by Gordhawk, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've been trying to find out how to make chum out of corn. I had a farmer friend give me a 5 gal. bucket of mature field corn he cleaned out of his combine last fall. I divided it up into 2-5 gal. buckets then covered the corn with water,fat trimmings off of some channel cats,and yeast. It doesn't seem to be doing too much so far. I think I should have had cracked corn instead of whole kernel corn. Can anyone help me? Oh by the way, I've had this corn setting out now for about a month.
    Thanks

2. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Glen put it where the sun can get to it some and give it some more time it is going to work sooner or later although a week or two should get it going/

SEE YOU ON THE FISH BANK AT THE BOC NATIONAL GATHERING

3. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have had this stuff sitting out in the sun as much as possible for the last month. It 's starting to smell a little but not that bad. I just thought maybe I should have used cracked corn instead of whole kernel. Should this chum be in solid form or liquid when it is ready to use? This is my first try at making chum & i have no idea what I'm doing! Any & all help I can get is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help so far.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Try adding a gallon of milk. Thats what I put on chicken scratch for my chum. and keep it in the sun.

5. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Do you think adding 1 gal. of milk to 2/12 gal. of water would do that much good? I would think that the milk would be so diluted down it wouldn't do much good. I don't know what to do but I'm seriously thinking about dumping it out & starting all over. If I do that I'm going to get some cracked corn to try next time. Thanks to everyone that has made suggestions & tried to help me,I certainly appreciate your ideas.

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

It may help some but I see your point. Did you think about adding some yeast to mix? You would have to burp the sealed container are the lid would pop off. You might even try adding hot(almost boiling water)

7. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have already added some yeast to the mix. I don't know but it just seems to me I should have used cracked corn instead of whole kernel. I've also thought that maybe I put too much water in the bucket. At this point I just don't know what to do to it. Do you think I would have been better off using cracked corn?

8. gilly

gilly New Member

State:
    Texas
    I personally use hen scratch, it has cracked corn, maze and some other small grains. I feel the smaller grains take longer for the cats to fill up on it over the whole kernal.

As far as it souring, the temps need to be above 90 for it to work quickly. It takes a lot longer for it to sour in cooler temps, and the larger grain will take longer to fully saturate therefore longer to sour. You already have a month invested in the whole kernal.....give it a couple more weeks, it will be good. It doesn't have to knock your socks off to work either, so if you really want to fish, give it a shot. If no results, it may need more time.

Dont give up on the current batch, but in the future, try smaller grains.

"Succes is like wrestling a gorilla,
    you don't quit when your tired,
    you quit when the gorilla is tired!"

9. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It may need some sugar to get it started. I would add about 2 or 3 pounds and stir well, getting a lot of air into the mix. I hope the catfish oils aren't stopping the yeast from acting. You may want to add some fresh yeast and a couple tablespoons of orange or lemon juice. Cracked corn would have been better but it should work at some time.

10. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Try to keep it as hot as possible. Try painting the buckets black so they hold in heat better. Also, to speed it up try adding some warm milk and beer.

11. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    I always use the cracked corn and never had to wait for more than about 5 days before the smell would sear your nose hairs. Fill your bucket so the water is about 2 inches above the cracked corn, and if you have any handy, dump in a can of cheap beer along with your yeast. If you have any old black spray paint, paint your bucket black to hold the heat better. Cover it in case it rains but leave the lid loose and set it in the sun. When the maggots get working in it, stir it up every day for 2 days and then it should be ready.
    Rat

12. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I hate to sound stupid,but what is hen scratch?

13. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    here in kansas we use soybeans; place in 5 gallon bucket about half full, put small bag 3-5lbs wild bird feed in with it fill about 2 inches from top with water placed lid and add sunlight. BURP it at least once a day or the lid will be on the roof of your neighbors house:lol: . When it stinks its ready

14. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    the corn chum you guys talk about sounds like what we used to feed our hogs.

Fill a 55 gallon drum about 3/4 full of corn (the hard kind)
    Fill the rest of the way with water.

I think our barrel was in the shade but it sure stunk.

If you did something like that, you could get a bucket to every now and then to chum and then just add more corn to it.

You can get 50lbs of corn for ~$5-$6. During deer season here in NC, you can get 100lbs for about $6-$8 from the farmers

15. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Hen Scratch Is Basically Nothing More Than Cracked Corn With A Few More Grains. I Have Used Both The Cracked & Whole Corn & As Others Have Said The Smaller Grains Will Sour Quicker; However Either One Will Work Fine.

I Was Going To Mention Adding Sugar To Speed The Fermenting Process But I Was Beaten On The Draw :eek:oooh: . We Use It For Our Hog Hunting As Well As Fishing. Don't Give Up, It Works :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile: ,Elliot

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Any grain will work. Wheat is one of the best but as you can imagine if there is any current in the water it'll wind up where you dont want it.
    Sorghum works well too.
    I use uncracked corn in 5 gallon buckets filled 3/4 full.
    Pour 2 hot beers over it, fill to the top with water and put saran wrap over the top and store in the sun.
    4 or 5 days later its soft and working off.

Sugar will get the fermentation going on too.
    Its just like making liquor or wine.:big_smile:

After the corn has softened I've mixed in dry dog food .
    I cant see where it helped.

When I chum holes I can tell it works. My live well will be full of puked corn kernels when I get home and the fish will about to bust a gut.

17. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I would like to thank all of you good brothers for all of your input on this inquiry on making chum. I don't know what I've done wrong,but this stuff just isn't doing much so I have decided to dump it. Again thanks to each & every one of you for your suggestions.

18. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Glenn don't give up yet next time start with milo or chicken scratch I even had god results with mule feed just keep it covered with water at all times . adding different stuff might help but just let nature take its course.

WE WIL USE NO STINKY STUFF BEFORE ITS TIME

19. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I dont use it but this is a couple of chum recipees that someone I know uses and it works pretty well for them. Hope that helps.

Purchase a 55 gallon barrel with a lid if you can. Clean it completely of whatever was previously inside. It's best if it was not a chemical drum. The blue or white plastic drums that dairymen get soap and iodine in are excellent. If it's plastic, use a saber saw and cut out the top.
    Go to a feed store and buy a 50 pound bag of milo or corn. Pour this grain into the drum. Fill the drum 3/4 full of water and tie a large piece of cheesecloth across the opening to keep out flies. [the idea is to make chum, not grow maggots] Let the contents sour for at least two weeks.
    Use this chum by broadcasting the sour grain into the water where you intend to fish. Use it at the rate of 1 quart at least 1/2 hour before dark, then replenish the chum 1 pint at a time whenever the bite starts to slack off. Don't use too much, or the catfish will eat their fill and stop biting.

Fish-based chum​
    This chum recipe is a little more messy, but works best in moving water.
    Use dead shad, minnows, and/or perch for this one. Any rough fish you catch can be included, as well as the remains of cleaned fish. You can include finely chopped chicken livers if you like. Chop into very small pieces with a knife or use a coarse food grinder set aside strictly for bait grinding. The wife will never again let it into the house, so store it in the shed or barn where it can be exposed to the air. It can be used fresh, or allowed to "season" for a couple of days.
    Ladle the chum into the stream so that the current will carry it past your baits about once every 1/2 hour starting 1/2 hour before dark. Keep the chunks small so that the catfish will smell it, but have trouble finding it.