Making Baits Stiffer!!

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by kkyyoottee, Aug 29, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Im sure all of us who use the (doe stink bait) wish it would stay on longer!!! So I have come up with this method and seems to work well. Take cotton balls and tear them apart, take regular ol gauze and cut or rip it into strips. Then take the stink bait and mix it with these 2 items , now put on your favorite treble. Holds together rather well!!!

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I usually keep mine on ice. This seems to work most of the time. If not, I'll add shredded cotton or cattails.

3. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    \

I have tried this also but with water temps in mid 80's dont stay cool to long , wonder if a guy froze them on hook?

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Got a long haired dog or cat?
    Mix the runny bait with dog or cat hair.
    Works great.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Cattail fuzz is great for keeping it on the hook longer, and while I've never tried it, it sure seems like cotton ball strings would work well also. However, you might want to give this a try: go to Wal Mart, beauty section, and buy a piece of loofa. That's the vegetable sponge that's often used on back scrubbers for the bath and such...but you want to look for a piece of loofa by itself, because you don't need the other stuff. Use heavy duty shears to cut the loofa into bait-sized pieces. When you're ready to fish, use a single hook rather than a treble, attach the loofa, stick it down into the bait and work the bait well into the loofa. I've had bait stay in the loofa so well that I couldn't wash it out when I quit fishing, and had to throw the loofa away. (Guess I could have put it in the container with the bait, huh?) I know it had too much smell to leave it on my rod.