Making a spawn box for channel catfish?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Chief, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    the pond i have has a few big channel cats in it, but there just isnt any good habitat for them to spawn in. i was wondering if i created some sort of hollow object if they would spawn in it. thought about sinking a PVC pipe to simulate a hollow log. anyone have any other ideas or have done this before?

2. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    Haven't tried it before but this should help. I know for a fact that they deposit there eggs in spaces between rocks and heavy brush( logs and large branches). If they are available then try putting in heavy brursh piles, full of thick logs. I read that they will put spawn out in the open too.

3. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    We used old cream cans at the fish farm for spawning. Would think 10" PVC would work, just be sure to close one end...........there's not enough room for the male to turn and protect the eggs from rear attack. I'd also rough up the inside surface of the PVC, the egg's need to be able to adhere to the pipe. I'm sure a search for "catfish aquaculture" would give other idea's.

4. IamMike

IamMike New Member

State:
    Ohio (near cincy)
    I was talking to someone at Jones Fish Hatchery one time and the gave me some information. Get some of that large clay pipe stuff in small sections. Lay it down in the pond with gravel in the bottom.

5. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    any certain depth i should set it in?

6. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    At the farm we set our's in around 3 feet of water. We ran the cans on a daily basis to collect the egg masses so they had to be accessible. I would have to think that they need to be set deep enough that the spawning structure can't be seen by the naked eye through the water ie. out of sight based on water clarity.

7. BigDuck

BigDuck New Member

State:
    Trumann, Arkans
    You might try wiring two 5gal buckets together and cutting a large hole or the entire bottom out of one of them.I woud think black or green pickle buckets from a fast food place would make some good ones. Good Luck!!

8. Rob Heflin

Rob Heflin New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Growing up on the fish farm, we always used what my grandfather called "ammo cans" that were rectangular, maybe 30 inches long, 2 feet wide and 1 foot tall. One round hole in the end. We also used the milk cans that were about 3 feet long, round and had a hole in the top that was probably a foot across. We put them not too far off of the bank, in about 3 feet of water and laid them on their side.

Before the law changed last year in Mississippi, the hand grabbers would haul in trailer loads of plastic, 55-gallon barrels with a hole cut out of the top and put those in the river for flatheads. Now all that they are allowed to put out is wooden structure. I've heard stories of them running the barrels and finding thousands of baby flatheads in there, so it must be good nesting structure.

9. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have seen old bathtubs used. they cut out a side and sink them upside down.

10. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    My bud stocked a new pond a few years ago and they recommended the using several clay tile place in V's.

11. BigOleW9

BigOleW9 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have heard of concrete blocks and large barrels being used. Large rocks would work because the catfish have to use them naturally.

12. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    We used the traditional cream cans laid on there side in about 3-4ft. of water. But we had real good luck with big truck tires or even tractor tires that have "NOT" had fluid in them. Plastic garbage cans with a hole in the end and a brick to hold them down. No matter what you do some will still work the dam and make their own holes.
    Don

13. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    What BigDuck said. :smile2: