Making a living in the outdoors?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Cat_Catcher29, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Cat_Catcher29

Cat_Catcher29 New Member

State:
    McKinney, Tx
    i absolutly love the outdoors and would like a good career in it, is there such a thing??

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Two choices:

Game Warden

Guiding

Bill in SC

3. Cat_Catcher29

Cat_Catcher29 New Member

State:
    McKinney, Tx
    what can you tell me about guiding?

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Whether a hunting or fishing guide, you work hard to become proficient at taking game or catching fish. You learn your areas of work like the back of your hand. When you really get good at it, for fishing, you get a captains license and insurance and start taking people out for a fee. The actual learning process would take as much or more time as a college education. It is not an overnight process, but with diligence, can be accomplished. If you are considering to become a guide, go hire a guide to take you out on a trip and see what all is involved. This may help you to make your decision.

Bill in SC

5. Cat_Catcher29

Cat_Catcher29 New Member

State:
    McKinney, Tx
    is it a good living? or just a scratch by kindof living?

6. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Don't expect to make a lot of money at it. It's not about that. :smile2: LOL

7. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    LOL, yeah were not gonna see Donald Trump and Bill Dance running around in the same boat are we, lol.:eek:oooh::smile2::smile2:

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Depends on how productive of a guide you are. You won't get rich guiding, but you can live comfortably, and you will be doing what you want to do! Some of the top guides stay booked weeks in advance. Again, it just depends on how good of a guide you are. Productivity is the key. Of course, with the state of the economy, many guides are saying that their guide trips are way down. People just don't have much extra cash lying around to splurge on a guided trip. Also, there is no 401K or furnished insurance being a guide. That's all on you to provide. If you have aspirations for a good retirement fund, and furnished insurance for your family, you may not choose to be a guide. It's certainly a trade off, but the topic was "making a living in the outdoors". Commercial fishing would also be an outdoor job choice, but the work load is incredible for them. There's also logging, timber cruising, farming, and many other outdoor job choices.

Bill in SC

9. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    LOL. It's all about running up the river at sunrise instead of being stuck in a traffic jam. :wink:

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I hear ya, Paul!! It ain't always all about the money!! However, judging by the bellies on most guides I know, ain't none of 'em missed any meal lately!! :wink::smile2::wink:

Bill in SC

11. Cat_Catcher29

Cat_Catcher29 New Member

State:
    McKinney, Tx
    oh believe me im not in it for the money, just at the same time, i dont want to leave my family in a smoke shed huddling over a candle.. im trying to find a trade off, a career i love, with a income i can provide for my family.

12. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Good Luck Cat_Catcher29 hope you find something you enjoy that works for your family as well:wink:
    Oh Yeah, and WELCOME to the BOC Josh:big_smile:

13. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Excellent thread. I have enjoyed reading it. I plan on making a living in the outdoors or at least outdoor related...................ONCE I RETIRE FROM THE ARMY! Brother your concerns are real. Taking care of your family is the #1 priority. Sometimes you have to do one thing to set you up for what you really want to do. So at the ripe "OLD" age of 40, I will retire with full benefits and a paycheck for the rest of my life. This will secure my families well being as I pursue a life of catfishing.

Life is short, but it ain't that short! More than enough time for 2 careers.

Another fine example is Paul (catfish_commando)! He is retired and now he runs this site! What a life :smile2:! I know that I am jealous

14. Cat_Catcher29

Cat_Catcher29 New Member

State:
    McKinney, Tx
    yeah right now im in the marines, trying to set my self up for when i get out, and figure what i want to do ahead of time to plan it

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Taking care of your family is the #1 priority.>

Nope, serving the Lord is the #1 priority. The family is 2nd! :wink: Everything else after that.

Bill in SC

16. Cat_Catcher29

Cat_Catcher29 New Member

State:
    McKinney, Tx

to true my friend.

17. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Well, for starters, you need a big boat so you can take out 4 or more people (more money). Plan on spending $30,000+ on a good boat. Next, you'll need a couple thousand dollars worth of rods and reels. Next, everybody wants live shad trips, so you'll need a $500 bait tank and a couple of $150 cast nets. Now, to pull your new "guide rig", you will need a big truck (4WD is best). Now you're ready to roll! But wait, you don't have any customers. Did we forget to advertise? LOL. Ok, now we've spent money on ads and some people are calling. Well, you better be able to put them on some fish or they won't be calling you next time and you'll never make a guide business work without repeat business. Word of mouth is the best advertising! Oh yeah, once you get a lot of customers and start fishing every day, plan on wearing out your boat and tackle a lot faster than the weekend angler. It also helps to be friends with your local boat mechanic. I have people tell me all the time that they wish they had my job. They don't realize everything that is involved. But I'm not complaining. :smile2: LM_O

18. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That sure is a good way to put it all in perspective! It seems that most Jobs that are "dream Jobs" to the outdoorsman pay very little and are a whole lot of hard work.

19. Cat_Catcher29

Cat_Catcher29 New Member

State:
    McKinney, Tx
    what can be said of wardens and park rangers?
    whats the diff?

20. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Never really gave that much thought? I have always thought those jobs (wardens/park rangers) would be too much like law enforcement. Kind of sucks a lot of the fun out of the outdoors.

It would be a great way to have a local impact on the conditions of the outdoor community