Making a durable inexpensive archery target : Bow Hunting Practice

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Chrisingeorgia, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    Does anyone know how to make a durable inexpensive archery target??

2. crlail41

crlail41 New Member

State:
    Hickory NC
    Stack 2 bales of straw, get a big piece of Cardboard, cut the cardboard in the shape of a deer, draw the heart in the proper place with aBlack marker pen, tie the "deer "to the front of the stacked straw, and have at it!

3. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    Thanks for the hay idea Charles. I had already considered using hay myself, but thought I'd get some other people's opinions first. I was worried that a hay target would just be a nuisance to try and move around the yard and would probably rot after the first good rain. It's definitely my last resort if nothing else comes through though. Who knows, I might give into temptation and just buy one of those ridiculously over priced targets.

4. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    If you have a farm store near by check and see if they have the styrafoam blocks that they put between the trailers they will usually give them to you. They are about 1 foot by 1 foot. Take a rachet strap and strap them together and have at it. You can shoot broadheads and all.

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Corrugated cardboard boxs laid flat and sandwiched together will work. I remember makeing one years ago, my x-wife had some stuffed animals that I stuffed in a carboard box. I wonder if she knows where teddy went. :0a10: :0a28: Worked ok for my re curve but my compound went through em pretty quick. Try doing a search on how to build a archery target, there are lots of good ideas.

6. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    hay and a piece of mine belt behind it "what we always use"

also seen guys take a burlap sack tightly put old cloths in it , and have at it "doesn't last really long though"

7. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    My kids and I make great field point targets from burlap bags and the cotton from old discarded matresses. Stuff as much cotton as you can from the mattresses into the sacks and you will have a target that can stay out in the weather,lasts forever, and you can pull out the shafts with only two fingers. I find them especially good for multiple targets set at different distances from my backyard tree stand setup.Right size for a deer or hog setup.They do'nt seem to take the finish off the shafts like a lot of the commercial targets do either.If you wish you can even put kill areas onto them with flat paint and a artist brush.Serves the purpose of helping the landfill from being filled too soon to.I usually get about two years out of each target, then it is only a matter of replacing the burlap sack and you are ready to go again.If you have access to coffee sacks you can even have elk sized targets.Enjoy.
    Bill

8. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    I prefer Chuck's styrofoam over haybails. Haybails tend to be hard on flights and arrows with faster shooting bows.