Making a Bamboo Pole

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by mtrimble, Feb 21, 2006.

1. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    My buddy has a big crop of fishing pole bamboo. I intend to make a couple of rods out of it. This stuff is really strong and flexible. Anyone have experience with making a cane pole or something similar. Im trying to gather as much info as I can before I begin. Thanks for any feedback.

2. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    We used to use them when we were kids. The ones around here don't grow very big or tall. We would just cut them and put them in a shed until they dried out good. Lay them flat so they will stay straight. That's about all you need to do to them.

3. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    You can also get a rod varnish to put on them and they will last a long time.

4. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    I dont know on what u are plannin on using it for but i know a guy who had a few for flatheads. From what i heard they worked out good. But like Grumpy said you gotta let em dry out before you do anything with them. Just try and find a straight one and if its not straight you can put in in a pvc pipe till it dries out, that should help keep it straight.

As far as all the other stuff goes (guides/reel seats). For the guides jsut get some old rods if you got some and take the guides off that. For the tip, if you cant find one thats big enough then you could get one of those guides that arent double footed and rap it around the tip. For the reel seat i guess you could get some hose clamps and rap it with some of that eva foam. Or if your plannin on keepin it on there maybe just wrap it tight with some of that trotline line and then maybe get some of that shrinking rubber to put over it. or i guess wire will be stronger.

Now i never got around to makin mine but if i did thats prolly how i would go about doin it. Hopefully some one else can get some input on here id like to see some other ideas.

5. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Mike you gotta use bigger font. Those are some good ideas.
    It would be neat to have a bamboo rod with eyes and a reel seat. All the one's Ive seen just have the line wrapped around the rod. It will be some while before I start. But as I go about it ill post pics on my progress.

Gator, what are some good rod varnishes and where would I find them?

Also, what is a bamboo rod comparable to strengthwise?

6. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I'm going to give you the basics as I remember them.....
    To make a bamboo fishing pole you have to cut the bamboo poles into triangles lenghtwise and then glue them together, kind of goes like this.... Pick poles that are straight and free from defects. You have to cut the blanks, I believe it is into 6th's, think of it like looking at the top of a pie that is cut into 6 pieces and that's what the end of your pole blank will look like, 6 triangular pieces glued together to form what makes a pole. The reason for this is to eliminate any weak places in a blank and to make the rod uniform all the way down. In other words a weak spot that you don't see will align with 5 strong spots so you don't have a bad spot in your pole. You have to use a special glue and then you have to sand it and finish it. Then you have to wrap it and put your guides and handle on it. I started one when I lived in Alaska and gave up after a bit as you have to build jigs to cut and hone the bamboo into EXACT dimensions to fit together properly. I cut several slips for my pole and then set them aside and when I started up again they had warped and all my time was lost. Way too much work for a kid but I think I could do it now if I had the desires to make one as I'm more relaxed and take my time. I think you can get plans off the internet and even kits that have stuff pre-cut but again a lot of work for what you end up with, in my opinion.

7. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Do you want a cane pole or a split bamboo rod ?

8. scum_bucket

scum_bucket New Member

State:
    Texas
    I was also thinking about making on of these polls so some more feedback will be nice.

9. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    use a guidebutt rod varnish you can get it from Mudhole.com

10. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I have done a little reading on this subject since my post and really never knew there was a cane pole for catfishing. We always refered to a split bamboo rods as a cane poles and assumed that was what you were wanting. Just for info, I did have a split bamboo pole that was a deep sea pole that I used for catfishing and I loved it until it dryed out and cracked one night. So, as Roseanna Anna Danna would say,..... Never Mind.lol

11. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Beeheck man there are all kinds of cane poles and I have seen a few and made 2. It is a hard long drawn out process to make one. I hope I never have to do another, however I will refinish them but that also can and dose take time and lots of it. I am doing one now for a member on the board and I have varnished and sanded the rod 7 times now and almost have it ready to wrap. Then comes the silk thread and more varnish.

12. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Gator, .....Pictures... I want to see pictures. Rod making is an art and not one that is easily learned. I did one, never do another as it was too much work and it looked like a jewel to me at the time. I looked at it later in life and it looked like something I had done in a grade school art class. Would love to see what you've done.

13. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I will see what i can do for you on that I know there are some pitchers around here on the site but can find them right now.

14. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Here is a couple of pitchers of some of my work.

Attached Files:

15. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Here is a couple of more.

Attached Files:

16. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Those are beautiful rods, Gator. Maybe I can learn to do that one day :)

17. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    If you make it down this way one day I will be happy to show you what I know. Then you can take it from there.

18. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Wow.
    That split bamboo pole sounds interesting and involved. My material is actually Golden Bamboo (sometimes called fishing pole bamboo). I would like to see some pictures on this blank splitting process. Man, It sounds hard. A finished product would be something to be proud of.