Makin a trotline

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by riverratokie, May 13, 2008.

1. riverratokie

riverratokie New Member

State:
    Collinsville Oklahoma
    How does everyone attach their drops to the mainline?

2. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I use the quick connects that you get at wally world. They are good, but sometimes they wrap your dropline around the mainline. Still, they are fast and easy. Attach a swivel to it then the drop line.

3. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    i got one with quick clips and nother where make a loop and run it thru the hook eye, make a half twist and pull it tight.

then on my main i have a big swivel between 2 globs of hot glue to hold it in place... i take the loop with my hook and run it thru the eye and back thru itself and pull it tight.... After doing a few like this i can do it pretty quick as far as takin and puttin them on and off the main. ...

I got a small tackle tray with maybe 5 compartments (4x6 maybe) with more swivels, extra hooks and about 10 ready made setups where all i have to do is pull one out and run thru the swivel

4. riverratokie

riverratokie New Member

State:
    Collinsville Oklahoma
    Thanks guys. I guess my question was really how everyone attachs the swivels to the mainline. May try the hot glue. sounds good

5. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    start at one end add a swivel and cpl drops hot glue then move down 18-24 inches and repeat.... also might try small split shot if nothing else

6. Rtpcat

Rtpcat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    On the ones that I make the swivels are all threaded on the mainline with a knot on each side to keep the swivel in place. Kinda cumberson figuring out how to tie up a line once you have 25 swivels or more already tied in but you can do it. There are several good examples/instructions in the members library of how to do it this way.

7. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    I use longline clips. The idea is that they can be attached anywhere on the mainline, and picked off and replaced with freshly baited drops quickly. So, when the boat is moving or the current is pushing you don`t have to struggle to work with a swivel that is attached to the mainline. If you try this type of drops once, I guarrantee you will never use any other technique. I posted once in the general conversation forum. Nobody was interested there. Here is the post with photos.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75412&highlight=longline+clips

8. riverratokie

riverratokie New Member

State:
    Collinsville Oklahoma
    Thanks Dan
    Looks like a great idea. Will they not slide on the mainline once attached?

9. riverratokie

riverratokie New Member

State:
    Collinsville Oklahoma
    Tim thats how i do it now with knots either side of the swivels. Just lookin for an easier faster way. Thanks for your reply sir

10. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    They grip pretty well. Different sizes grip differently, but I don`t worry about that. On the size of cord you guys use, it would take a real big fish to make them slide, like a twenty pounder, perhaps. I use them on 2mm braided nylon line, 150 lb test. They will slide together with 4 lb fish on that size line, but it is not a problem for me as we don`t have a minimum space requirement. The best thing is the ease of setting and working. If you go by a bush or other optimum location, you can put more hooks there and space them out farther where you are not getting fish. It makes for much better flexibility with your mainline.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you're looking for something to fasten onto the mainline to keep the swivels in place, they make crimp-on brads just for that purpose. I'm too cheap to buy them and simply tie a knot on either side of the swivel.

I generally use 300#-350# test twisted nylon for my mainline. I've tried attaching the longline type clips onto it, and have found several of them all bunched up together too many times to want to use them like that any more. Of course, like anything else, if it works for you, go for it. In order to keep the clips in place, I had to tie two knots an inch or so apart and attach the clip between them. If I'm going to that much trouble, I might as well just put a swivel in there while I'm at it. The clip is gong to tangle a lot more than the swivel, anyway.

If you want the ultimate in ease of putting out trotlines, try making and using a jumpbox.
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38745&highlight=jumpbox

12. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I tried the crimp on brads once.
    They make trotline makin pretty simple. And fast. But I'm like jtrew too cheap to pay $4.20 /100.
    Most of mine were made by tying knots to hold swivels but I've tried several different things. I once threaded 100 plastic beads on the trunk line with a swivel between every 2 beads. Believe it or not I was trying to make it easier to make.:roll_eyes:
    I still have 2 50 hook lines left that I can cannibilize before I have to buy trotline makin stuff so I won't be buying anything soon.
    BTW the brass brads are reusable.
    Have a good one
    just

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have allways used the crimp on brass brads .Havnt made one in several years ,or even used one . But I am thinking about getting after it again this summer .

14. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I feed as many swivels on the main line as I plan to use. I leave about 15' of line open, then start making dropper loops with the swivels about every 6'. Then leave about another 15' of line open at the other end. Then, you could use clips to attach the drops to the swivels (I don't use snap swivels because they can break), but what I do, since I'm cheap, is make my drops so they can be attached to the main line with a "lark's head" knot. I take a piece of braided line about 2-1/2' long, feed a hook onto it, double the line in half, and tie the ends off with a knot. I position that knot to where it's on the side of the drop rather than at either end, then I make a knot just above the hook, and one a few inches up from that, leaving a good size loop at the top. Just put the loop of the drop through a swivel, and pull the hook through the loop. I leave a big enough loop in the top of the drop that a good size perch can be fed through it so I can bait the hook before I put it on the line. If a fish gets hooked deep, or a turtle is on, I just cut that drop off. I always keep a few extra.