makes me sick

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by swampratt, Apr 12, 2008.

1. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Went fishin today , no luck
    At ft gibson i saw people catching small 15-25 pound spoonies they would weigh them (hooked through the gill) at the bottom of the river at the end of the wall,
    Then carry them by the gill and rip them so they are bleeding profusely ,back up to the top and show them off , then throw the poor bleeding fish over the fence and SPLAT to the water

AAARRRGGGG I would take a switch to any one i was fishing with that acted in that manner

My goodness if you do not plan to keep the fish , treat it kindly and release it unharmed

why do you think they want you to remove the barbs...

I am sure no one on this sight acts in that manner

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    with the exception of predators an polecats, i don't kill anything i ain't plannin on eating.

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Dont give up there will be better days in store

4. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You got that right brother. The original Americans (Indians) knew that, it was the Europeans that brought in the wanton waist ideas. We all could learn alot from the old Indian philosophy of life. Be in harmony with mother earth.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Reps to ya Bro. as soon as i can rep ya again,lol:eek:oooh: Too many hungry folks in the world to waste ANYTHING.

6. Harndog

Harndog New Member

State:
    Ok
    Jeff that is a bad deal. The wardens should step up and take care of guys like that. Or better yet their Pops should have taught them better. Thats where it starts.

Barry I to believe strongly in the American Indian ways!

7. KSFish

KSFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sorry to hear that as well. It does not make the rest of us look good when you have guys doing this. Hell, the ones I'm gonna clean get water on them until I pull the boat out. I saw a guy land one, stand there and talk to a friend for 20 minutes, then throw it back in the water. At that point, I was wishing the fish and game would have been watching!

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    There is nothing sporty about this type of action. I pray that these fish find a way to survive and that the people doing this find out what karma is all about. There is no excuse for this type of behavior. Perhaps you could approach these people in a very respectful manner and offer some friendly advice. Sometimes this is all it takes. If you can alter the actions of just one, its worth it. Take care and try not to beat anyone up.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The sad thing of it is, there are probably people from the B.O.C. which does the same thing. Not that they are not caring, decent people, but that they get caught up in the moment. Then there are those that believe since they paid cash money for a fishing license, it gives them the right to treat the resource any way they want. Maybe a tactful suggestion would be in order, especially if you have a concealed weapons permit.

10. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I don't see what the big deal is about showing off a 15 or 20lb spoonbill anyway! I take great pains to hurt them as little as possible if I'm not going to keep them. I love snagging them, it's alot of fun. I don't eat every one I snag though. I've even got a "dog catcher" pole to retrieve them without injuring them. I've had alot of people try to walk off with it.

You gotta watch it though on that wall, I've fishted it for years. They don't even care if you're an off duty cop and packing. I've been threatened several times for offering some advise or trying to get some idiots from cursing around the little kids. Some of the people up there are good people. Some of them think that when they're up there, then every one should get out of their way as they "rule the wall". The game wardens shut the wall down for awhile last year because of the idiots and will do it again if they have too. I'd hate that. I love fishing up there.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i dont do that to gar, turtles , or carp. if i aint eating them they go back. what they need is someone to beat the living crap out of them drag them down tha bank by there feet hogtied while laughing and bragging about how many teeth they got knocked out and then tossed in the drink. then they would see the otherside. JMO.:0a33: but i wouldnt feel bad at all.

this turn the other cheek and being nice went out a long while ago with the gangs and courts telling you you cant whip your kids with a switch. im nice most of the time but am ready to step up to unrespectful idiots. i dont walk away to often.

12. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Angry yes. Surprised no. Do ya really find it surprisein anymore? Its the nature of the beast anymore. And, until we are willin to take it back its gonna keep happenin and growin.:angry:

13. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

Approach em in a respectfull manner! They more than likely don't respect themselves. I for one am gettin a bit sick of this turn the other cheek crap or offer a kind hand with a smile.:cool2:

14. target33

target33 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    had a similar situation just a few weeks ago:angry: guy was catching several 6 -7 inch crappie and throwem in a empty bucket. I didn't pay much attention till he putall them back in the lake after a good 3 1/2 hours of fishing. 12 of them floated up right there. I was as respectful as I could be fishing with my boys. I told him those fish are what my kids could be catching in a couple of years and what a nice example for them to see (sarcasm). He mubmbled a few profanity's and told me to mind my @#^% business. I was really steamed by now but just told him I fished that lake plenty and I would run into him again without the kids watching.

Maybe I should have not said anything but I think it is our business help protect the sport we all love and want our children to share with us.

We went over there gathered all the dead fish and cleaned and ate them. Not great fillets but at least they didn't go to waste.

15. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    Some people are just going to be that way and beating there a$$ ain't going' to help it will only make matter's worse..call fish and game..unless your in ILL. because our governor has stolen all the money and gave it to his friend'..talked to a game warden the other day that told me they didn't have the money to be out on patrol because there's no money in the buget for fuel so they are basicly parked...:crazy:

16. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I explained to some younger people . some why's and why not's.. and i think that may help them , but the people doing it they are beyond help ..you might hurt their wallet but that is about it.

i agree it is all in how you raise your children...
    Another sad storry--
    There were 2 teen girls there trying to catch something on a sassy shad ..and their father and his budies caught a fey and released them and i asked the girls if their dad would let them reel in one... they said no they asked already,,

i can't count the times that i hooked a good fish and handed off the rod. to kids friends and wife.. they just love fishing that much more...and who cares if they loose the fish ,,there is plenty more

17. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm gonna be honest and perhaps offend a few. I am an avid bass fisherman and occasionally deep hook a short fish thats gonna die. It goes in the livewell and if i get caught, i just get caught. Personally i think a warden with any sort of reason will agree, it's better to eat a fish thats dead rather than throw it to the crows and tarnish the sport by having dead fish floating about. Sorry if any find this offensive but i will stand up for what i believe, regardless of the outcome. It's the way i was raised.

18. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You're absolutely right John! If it's going back in to just die, then use it. Bass are delicious anyway. I keep any fish no matter what size if it's hooked so bad it's not going to make it. I hate waste!

19. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    Boy' where I live the warden would give a crap to here your excuse why you had a short fish in the live well[by the way I agree ...why waste a fish.] They would smile ear to ear and give you the citation..See our warden once try to give a 8 year old a ticket ..but he wasn't sure if he could make it stick so he gave it to the boy's dad instead..Then had the gaul to go brag about it the next morning at the coffee shop....Here in my state after so many dollar's worth of violation's they can suspend your license indefenitly..so if I was close to a suspention I guess I would just have to throw it back and let it die...the law sometime's won't let a man do the right thing.....

20. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    man pack your stuff and move south! and take life easy! i can`t remember the last time i saw a game warden on kerr lake !:smile2: