Makes me sick

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by master_cat, Jul 5, 2006.

1. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    iv been fishing the last three days iv found jugs fish with fish attached iv found no names no nothing on the bottels so iv been cathing them and letting them go i hate for people to put them out leave them unatended its wrong to let the fish just run around with a bottel holding him up just my thoughts

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I agree with you too. I'm pretty sure you are supposed to put your names on that stuff, but then again if you breka the law and your name isnt on it they can't find it. SAdly the fish will probably die before the hook falls out of its mouth.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    You did good!!! I would most likely do the same thing!!!

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm with you Brent, the best way for them to fix it would be for them to make it illegal everywhere, just my opinion though.

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Food for thought.The most hooks and lines are left by pole and rod and reel fishermen when they break off.There are so many more of us.You could fix more by getting rid of them.Does that sound better? How much have you left in the water?Just think how much someone my age has left in the water?Something to think about.It is a US THING.If you get a chance,check out your fishing area at real low water.Trot lines and such are easier to see,but there is a lot more hook and lines left by us regular type fishermen.A sorry human is a sorry human no matter how he fishes.Biodegradable gear may be the only answer for the future.peewee-williams

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here in Ohio I cant understand this law, we are allowed to fish with only two rods, but you can set out three trotlines with 50 hooks each??? I dont catch near as many fish as I used to thanks to one thing..trotlines, and the keeping, and selling of the fish off of those lines.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

your doing the right thing but watch yourself there are some crazy people out there that might wish you ill if they catch you "messing with their jugs" reps fpr trying though

8. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    in some states you could loose your boat or pay a big fine, the human person is not fair. at least you are helping, just be careful.

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I hear that Jack. It is really screwy. It is all about the money aspect I think. Those $$$lakes are in with the high ups somehow.

10. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I should stay out ot this since I run legal jugs and this week-end had people checking them, stealing hooks and fish, etc. Still a little irrated. A question for all, has anyone ever found dead catfish on a jug? Do the jug and trotline guys hurt populations? I fish legal, release what I don't want to eat and don't trash up the lake. I R&R fish also. Of course I tangle up and leave hooks and line in the water, what becomes of the fish that take that bait? Could be fatal. That doesn't mean its bad to fish or that any bait except lures should be illegal. I just wish people had the respect and integrity to leave my stuff alone. If someone is illegal, report it. Get the boat number, take pictures, testify at court, do your part.

Jim

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    If I find a jug with no name attached to floating in the lake I take it and dispose of it in the garbage. I see it as nothing more than litter and a navigation hazzard.

12. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    I dont have a problam with jug liners or trot liners,what i have a problam with is those guys who are iresponsible with there gear. If i find a trot line or jug line that has no gear tag i cut them and put in my canoe and dispose of them later.

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Very similar to Georgia's laws.We did not have the so called "pay lakes" in my day.My commercial trot lines of 50+ years ago were for 5-8 lb.stewing cats to order.There was no market for the large cats.The trot lines were paid for and legally tagged with a state numbered and issued tag.The main lines with loops were left in place.The looped and hooked drop lines were removed and replaced as needed when fished.All drop lines and hooks were removed when not being baited and fished.I have never left a line since that I was not fishing.I never remember catching more than I could keep in a closed 48 quart cooler,with ice on a week or weekend of fishing.That was all I could use,that was all that I kept. That is why I usually used limb lines.I too worry about the big "BROOD"cats being taken.I think it has to affect the fishery.I was never interested in catching big cats until my son mentioned it.Still only interested because of him and my grandson,plus I have learned to be interested in all of you on here.#1 and #2 hooks were plenty large enough for my preferred cat fishing.A #1/0 and above was for saltwater fishing.Maximum size limits and slots may be the answer.I do not believe the old selfish way of outlawing everyone but me helps anyone but Peta and the Outlaws.The two worst fish and game outlaws that I ever knew said that they"wished that they would outlaw all hunting and fishing"."They didn;t obey the law anyway,so it would just leave it all to them".Thats the truth fellows.Now if you people will just keep on trying to outlaw everything but what you like to do,these people will win.It won;t affect me.I am about gone.You younger people are the ones that are going to lose it.I really think that many are fighting real hard to lose it.My way or no way means ALL LOST.I have yet to see anyone want to outlaw THEIR way of fishing.There is plenty wanting to outlaw someone else's way.Is it right?Is it wrong?Is it generous?Is it selfish?"ME,myself and I"just don;t cut it.I have had mine.Are you going to get yours?peewee-williams

14. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I agree with you Peewee. I dont think that outlawing forms of fishing really helps very much (except maybe noodling, where PEOPLE have died). And I dont know about anyone else, but for every PETA member that wants to outlaw fishing, I will fish extra hard just for them. I dont like those guys.

Also, I have a nice anti-PETA documentary link if anyone doesnt mind a little bit of cursing. It makes some really good points and exposes the hypocricy of the organization. Drop me a PM if you would like the link.

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I dont think the problem is with them leaving tackle behind even though it to is a hazard it is the fact that they left an illeagley baited hook in the water were a fish or game could or was hooked and struggling for life. lines ran leagly is alright agree or not. the higher ups say to tag them and run them at least every 24hrs to make shure nuthing is on them and dying. when done with them the law says remove them so nuthing gets hung and dies. not following these laws is inhumaine. Even though an unattended unmarked line may irritate you its not yours and should be left alone and reported to a game warden. I know not all people come back for them for whatever reason but most do so be carefull out there guys the wrong someone catchin you messing with their lines could be trouble. use your good judgement here. Id relese fish and remove lines myself if I thought it nessasary but this too is illeagle. Ive seen dead fish in lines before, ive seen animals turtles fish snagged on abandoned lines and ive removed them. making it illeagle may or may not be a good idea but following the rules is.

16. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I talked to a local natural resources guy here last week. He goes and cuts them(abandoned lines) down from time to time but it didn't sound like there was an attempt to actually enforce the laws that pertain to them. That is what sucks here. He said some people put their names on them when I inquired but when I mentioned that if you had more than the limit, why would you put your name on them? And he gave me this kind of blank look like it hadn't occured to him, then I got the idea.

It irks me because if you don't follow the law you ARE POACHING and that is all there is to it. If you shoot a deer out of season or out of your truck here they will take the gun and the truck. If you set too many lines out they will clean up after you? If it was poaching walleyes or muskies or somesuch there would be an uproar but this is tolerated? Hogwash!

17. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yeah man, ya did right by letting them go. That's no kind of sport fishing, just leaving the stuff unattended. I'd chuck the rigs in the trash too. :angry:

18. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    its sick its VERY sick. when i jug fish, i make sure i will be checking them every hour or so! well just goes to show that the world aint perfect!

19. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Personally I think your intentions are good, but its not the best way to do things.

Example say you set some poles on a dock tie em down and go use the bathroom. I come by see you got a fish on and let it go because its unattended. Was I right for messing with your equipment? I dont want anyone messing with any of my equipment and Im sure you dont want people messing with yours either.

You have other options such as contacting parks and wildlife and report there are unattended jugs with no gear tag. If the state requires gear tags you might just find that the people might get a ticket and shape up, solving the problem. If the state doesnt require a gear tag, then you are the one that are wrong for messing with other peoples legal fishing methods.

Just some food for thought not saying anyone is wrong.

20. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    Here in my neck of the woods jug fishing is pretty popular. The way most do it is bait 'em out at dark and maybe fish 'em once during the nite and get 'em up in the morning. Any half way serious jug fisherman will have his hooks up by 9AM and I wouldnt touch one with or without a fish on it till after that time. If you do and get seen you'll more than likely have an ugly confrontation with the jug fisherman. I fish jugs a couple times of the year and call it quits. Mainly cause I catch enough fish during those few times to half-way fill my freezer with fish to eat during the winter months. What I see is a problem by most jug fishermen is they get hooked on seeing all the fish being caught and want more even when they dont even know how they'll eat what they have. (I know....been there and done that too.) It's fine to share a few with friends and family, elderly, maybe a few neighbors, but there's no sense in catching and keeping more than will be used.
    Mostly all people I know that jug fishes are responsible and do try getting all their jugs up. Who would want to leave jugs that could possibly have fish on them.....not to mention leaving their jugs, hooks, sinkers, etc.? Some will get lost and sometimes a jug or two will get overlooked. There's nothing wrong with picking up a left jug and removing the fish or getting the jug off the lake. IMO it's the same as picking up any other object left in the water. I would just make sure I've given adequate time for the fisherman to look and gather all his jugs before I bothered it. Every time I've fished jugs I've always known exactly how many I put out and have always counted them when taking them up. I always mark it on paper as I bag 'em up so I'll know when I sacked up the last one so I didnt have to look anymore. The rare times I came up short it was always only one or two and I'd ride an extra mile or so of lake before giving up. By that time I figured I didnt loose it....rather a thief stole a jug with a fish on it from me.