Make Your Squirrels Taste Better

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by catman849, Jan 28, 2007.

1. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    If your a real squirrel hunter you know that you always seem to kill some real old tough ones here and there that are too much trouble to skin and eat. So one method that works for me and my grandad is to put them in a pressure cooker, you know one of those pots that keeps steam in and gets real hot, and make sure you know how to use it before attempting this, then take the squirrels and put em in there for about 20 minutes or so letting the weight on the top rattle about 3 times a minute. Then carefully get the squirrels out put em in your favorite fry batter and pop em on the skillet. Using this method you get SUPER TENDER great tasting squirrel meat that is only second to the youngest squirrels in the woods. Good luck hunting.

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    THANKS BEN, THATS SOME GOOD ADVICE SIR.ANDREP POINTS TO YOU.
    J.D.

3. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    i go squirrel hunting from time to time and the ones i do get i take to my buddies dad i never knew how to clean and cook them but i was thinking of tring it but im still faced with skinning them

4. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I squirrel hunted today and got only 2 but I used your technique and man oh man was that good stuff. More rep points to you too

5. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    another good way to do it is... deep fry them on low for about 20 mins... 10 on each side.. then bake them for about 20 mins...covering the baking dish with a lid of some sort, this should get them done.. then make squirrel gravy...MMMMMMM MMMM GOOD! but thanks for the post...

6. jsk30

jsk30 New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks for sharing Ben

7. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I'm goin squirrel huntin in the mornin and in the afternoon you bet i usin this recipe for lunch!! oh yea i forgot to mention the frying portion of this is just to get a crust on them and brown them once they are out of that pressure cooker they are cooked. hope yall enjoy this and good luck to everyone and hope you have the best time harvesting these critters.

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thanks Ben rep to ya:0a31:

9. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    i took my little cousin out to do some last minute huntin a few days ago and we killed three one that he killed was a nice biggun and hes gonna get it mounted. How much does that usually cost??

10. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Thanks for the tip.

11. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    Anybody got any recipe's for stuffed squirrel's>?

12. grantpwll

grantpwll New Member

State:
    south carolina
    No only thing I would do is stuff them in your mouth after you have fried them and made some home made brown gray to cover your grits and eat until you cant eat no more.

13. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    Thanks for the tip ill have to try that next time i get some good plump squirels

14. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Thanks for the tip...use the same thing on old buck meat.