make your own bite detector

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by brinley45cal, Jan 3, 2009.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    its real simple.Get an empty thread spool run the line threw the middle hole,you will have to do this before you rig up because it goes on the bottom of the line closest to the reel.get a sowing needle or stick,push the stick or sowing needle in the ground but not so far down to where you can hang the thread spool on it.then when you cast leave a little slack in the line,then pull it down and place the middle hole in the stick or sowing needle and leave it there.Then when you get a bite or the fish takes off with it the thread spool will come lose and come back against your rod and FISH ON!
    just thought this was a neat little trick you can use especally if your useing several rods at a time.Good Luck.

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i might try it fella thks

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Interesting. I've seen this done with corks but never with a spool.

4. RobbHeb

RobbHeb New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i'm a big fan of the bells you clip onto the rod that you can buy at walmart. only problem is with 4 or 5 bells if you get a bite but doesnt hook and your not watching you never know which one was hit.

5. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Not to mention, you have to remember to remove them each time you make a cast, or you hear "jingle.......jingle.....jingl......jing.......jin...ji.....j....splash!"

I can't even tell you how many of those I lost in my younger days!

If I am dozing off, or can't watch every rod every second, I will take an empty beer can "always seems to be a few of them around:confused2:" and put a few pebbles or small sinker in it to give it a little weight, and set it by the tip of my rod, about an inch to the side of it. It I get a shake, it will tap the can, or knock it over, alerting me, or waking me up.

Only problem is, you have to down 3 beers real quick to set it up.......wait a minute, that is not really a problem after all! :eek:oooh::smile2:

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Good idea I will try it this weekend:wink:

7. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    it must be nice living where its warm all the time,wait a minute do the fish ever like, winter?

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I was out last weekend and it was 40 low and 48 was the high. I recon i am a wuss when I complain, so I only complain in the california section:smile2:

9. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    A friend of mine uses one of those light sticks. He duct tapes it to the inside of a red plastic cup and the whole cup lights up. He places the cup over the tip of his rod and when he gets a bite the cup jumps off and falls to the ground. Some weight could be added to the cup to keep it from flying away if the wind is blowing.

10. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I saw something @ B.P.S. that clips onto your rod tip, it has a small battery in it & when the rod tip tilts the light becomes illuminated.

I chose not to buy it because they only had one & the package had been opened already..........problem ??????. It did look like a good idea to me, so next time i go there I'll get a few & give everybody the feedback. I'm more than willin' to be the Guinea pig :crazy:

11. Riprap

Riprap New Member

State:
    Monticello
    thats a good idea on the red cup i will have to try that

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I hope this pic I just draw-ed up will post,But I have to explain it anyway:smile2:

Get a Alum can and with your finger-tips kinda pinch the edges slightly down

Set your pole in rod-holder and tighten up slack,

Push button/ Free-spool

Put the can under the line right in front of your reel and pull it up and roll it back wards over your reel until it is almost at a back wards 45% or until it stays in position,it will hold the bait fish in place and when the fish takes the bait and runs, The can just pops/ rolls up over the reel and smacks the rod and makes all kinds of Alum noises, ALARMING YOU AND lets the fish run off,It will not feel any pressure at all resulting in more hook-ups. All you do is lock it down and pull the can and its on Brother.:cool2: Guarantee

Attached Files:

13. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Kenny my buddy does something like that. But instead of a can and free spooling. He uses one of those 2in round plastic bobbers clips it to the line and with just enough slack that bobber hangs just alittle bit. When he gets a bite the bobber smacks the pole, danmedest thing watching him do this.:smile2:

14. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I've losted many copper bells because they do come loose & you do have to take them off/on every cast. I bought a different kind of bells that has a plastic nut that you can tighten the bells on with & the best part is you don't have to take them off/on every cast. Sorry I don't remember the brand nor the store.

15. heyop_erator

heyop_erator New Member

State:
    Kansas
    If you remember let me know on the bell...I like night lights so I would try that over the spool.

16. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    Another ideal I found was some plastic clips that clips on the tip of the rod just under the eye. It comes with the glow sticks that is approximently 1/8" in diameter & 1 1/4-1/2" long. Snap the stick to make it glow & side it into the clip. The clip is color coded which means that some colors are stronger than others. I've used these once & I like'em.

17. heyop_erator

heyop_erator New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The can under the reel would work great for knowing which rod the fish is on though.At night it's hard to tell at times if you don't have the lights.

18. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    you guys are full of new technology love it

19. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I love all this new technology cant wait to try them

20. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I'll check it out tomorrow. I'm thinking that it's Walmart.