Make sure you have proper lighting at night!

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by jeremiad, Sep 27, 2007.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I found this interesting article in the Virginia DGIF Outdoor Report for September. It's a good reminder that, even in a kayak or canoe, you need proper lighting for night operations...it's the law!

Night Vision Gear Aids in Arrest... Officers Frank Gough and Wes Billings were conducting a late night boat patrol on Claytor Lake in August. There were two fishing tournaments taking place and boat traffic was busier than usual. Night vision equipment was being utilized during the patrol to locate boaters violating light requirements. With the aid of the night vision equipment, Officer Billings located two kayaks that were not displaying the required lights 150 yards from the shoreline. He also observed a bass boat quickly approaching the kayaks. At the last second the bass boat swerved to avoid a collision with the kayaks. The officers approached the kayaks, which were occupied by two young males, and loaded the kayaks and the operators into the patrol boat and transported them to the state boat ramp. Summonses were issued for failure to display proper lights, underage possession of alcohol and purchasing alcohol for an underage person.

2. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for this post. Exactly what are the legal requirements for nighttime canoeing? I always use a headlamp but am not sure if you're supposed to have some type of bow/stern lighting. I have to admit that I've not reviewed the DGIF boating regulations as closely as I should have. Do you know off the top of your head? If required, what types of lighting do you use?

mike in SW VA

3. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    This is a good question that is quite debatable. For instance, where did the "150 yards from the shoreline" come from? This "150-yard" rule is nowhere in the boating regulations!

The requirements for canoe and kayak lighting for night operations and night distress signaling in Virginia are as follows:

"A vessel under oars may display those lights prescribed for sailing vessels, but if she does not, she shall have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision."

"Boats less than 16 feet, manually propelled boats (rowboats, canoes, kayaks, etc.), and open sailboats under 26 feet with no motor, are required to carry only night visual distress signals when operated on coastal waters at night...this regulation applies to all coastal water and those rivers 2 miles or more wide at the mouth and up to the first point the river narrows to less than 2 miles."

The sailing vessel configuration that would be easily implemented on a kayak would be the bow red/green light and stern white light.

4. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    tHIS IS WHAT i USED IN cALIFORNIA, MEXICO AND IN TEXAS WATER WHEN OUT AT NIGHT.
    1) head Quality Head Lamp ($15 to $30)
    (wALLY mART HAD A 3 LED FOR ABOUT $10)

1) LED light with two plastic salsa cups glued together right on top of the lens attached to a piece of pvc ($7) super bright
    (pICKED UP LIGHT AT NORTHERN TOOLS AND HARBOR FRIEGHT $7 THE GLUE IS MARINE GOOP, pvc GOES IN POL HOLDER ON MILKCRATE, BOUGHT SOME TACOS AND STOLE A COUPLE OF THIER LITTLE C1 OZ SALSA CUPS THAT ARE GLUED TOGETHER WITH A SMALL PIECE OF FOIL TO SHINE BACK DOWN ON THE LED..KINDA LIKE A FLYING SAUCER LOOKING THING)

1)1 OR 2.5 MILLION HAND TORCH FLASHLIGHT IN A DRY BAG TO MAKE SURE THEY SEE ME INCASE THEY ARE DRUNK. tHEY NORMALLY THING ITS A COP.
    (CABELAS AROUND $30 FOR LIGHT, DRY BAG ABOUT $10)

1) PFD AND BASEBALL HAT/BEANIE WITH SOLAS REFLECTIVE STICKER ($10) ( YOU CAN BUY ONLINE DO A GOOGLE SEARCH, THEY CAN BE USED AS A STICKER OR SEWN ON ).

HAVE YET TO BE RUN OVER :eek:oooh:

5. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    tHIS IS WHAT i USED IN cALIFORNIA, MEXICO AND IN TEXAS WATER WHEN OUT AT NIGHT.
    1) head Quality Head Lamp ($15 to $30)
    (wALLY mART HAD A 3 LED FOR ABOUT $10)

1) LED light with two plastic salsa cups glued together right on top of the lens attached to a piece of pvc ($7) super bright
    (pICKED UP LIGHT AT NORTHERN TOOLS AND HARBOR FRIEGHT $7 THE GLUE IS MARINE GOOP, pvc GOES IN POL HOLDER ON MILKCRATE, BOUGHT SOME TACOS AND STOLE A COUPLE OF THIER LITTLE C1 OZ SALSA CUPS THAT ARE GLUED TOGETHER WITH A SMALL PIECE OF FOIL TO SHINE BACK DOWN ON THE LED..KINDA LIKE A FLYING SAUCER LOOKING THING)

1)1 OR 2.5 MILLION HAND TORCH FLASHLIGHT IN A DRY BAG TO MAKE SURE THEY SEE ME INCASE THEY ARE DRUNK. tHEY NORMALLY THING ITS A COP.
    (CABELAS AROUND $30 FOR LIGHT, DRY BAG ABOUT $10)

1) PFD AND BASEBALL HAT/BEANIE WITH SOLAS REFLECTIVE STICKER ($10) ( YOU CAN BUY ONLINE DO A GOOGLE SEARCH, THEY CAN BE USED AS A STICKER OR SEWN ON ).

HAVE YET TO BE RUN OVER :eek:oooh:

6. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
  7. slab-happy

slab-happy New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    They / We should atleast be using a Glow Stik. Not the little ones that are used on floats (which is better than nothing), but the larger ones. You can buy these at the dollar store for a dollar. tape it to anything sticking up from the yak. Tape it to your hat,or one on each end of your paddle, or even better tape it to the end of a rod that is in a rod holder.

8. slab-happy

slab-happy New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    sorry I should have posted this on the previous post.......
    HELLO everybody, new here. I have an entry level kayak and I love it. Good fun, good exercise, and alot of beautiful sites. See alot more wildlife now.

9. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    Welcome to the BOC, Marvin! It's good to have yet another kayaker on board.

10. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    i guess the laws the law, but i'll tell you what it pisses me off from time to time. Got a $65 ticket by the Florida DNR for not having enough life jackets. I was under a bridge in 4 feet of water with my two kids on board, the both had on a life vest but I didn't. My wife was swimming and was hanging on the side as I was paddling around. They gave me two counts because she was holding on and needed a vest also. Well this pissed me off completely over the top. I told him he could take his little boat about a mile around the corner and he'd find a million people in rough water, undertow, on a raft in 12 feet of water without any life vests on. He said with a smerk "but i'm over here." Funny guy. He also locked up two folks in a canoe for a BUI. Both had been drinking. I know our boating laws were set to protect but they've gotta draw the line somewhere.

11. slab-happy

slab-happy New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm with you Matt, I'd be pissed off too if I had got an additional no life vest ticket for a person that wasn't even aboard. That DNR guy was head hunting and you were just a another fish caught in his net.

12. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    yep, it seems ridiculous to me, but possibly the judge might have more common sense its not possible to use logic with some of them, they just got to prove they can change the world most i have come in contact with are sensible tho. of course when ya need one they hard to find

13. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    No way am I gonna be on the water at night in a kayak......lights or no. At that time of day, I'm gonna be at the campfire swapping tale tales.

14. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    I may not head out at night, but arriving back at the launching point in the dark would be a real possibility.

Often the catfish start hitting hard right about dusk. That's going to keep you out 'til dark!

That's when proper lighting is essential. On your way back in at the time a whole lot of bass boats are coming in too--bad combination!