Make Iowa the #1 catfish state!

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by BenNewt, Sep 13, 2009.

1. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hey guys,

I grew up in Iowa fishing cats--Des Moines, Raccoon, Skunk, Middle, South, Maple Rivers...creeks, lakes, etc. I moved the MN several years back and was surprised to find catfishing that was much better--for numbers and size.

Here's the Minnesota Regs

1. 5 catfish possession limit (this includes your freezer!), only 2 of which can be flatheads.

2. Only 1 of those cats can be over 24".

3. Only one rod allowed. No trotlines, no ditty poles.

The one rod rules sucks, but you get over it.

My memories of Iowa catfishing center on people keeping everything that they catch--especially big flatheads. In my opinion, this has damaged the Iowa fisheries and the sad thing is that it can take 30 years to grow a big flathead.

So what can be done? Well up here in Minnesota, fishing regulation are heavily influenced by groups of regular joe blow fishermen that get together and lobby the DNR. If I still lived in Iowa, I would definitely do it. Any thoughts?

2. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hey... Is this Carp-Fisher? Welcome to BOC.... Ya might know me as LFC.
    The MN regs do wonders for our Fisheries up here. Not that I'm anti Iowan... but IF you go back and look through posts... There a lot that come up to MN on a harvest mission... they don't abide by the regs... If they did the trip would not be worth while.
    They like to frequent the Kato area and a little above. Go through and read some of the MN threads on this site and you will see what I mean.
    A 24 inch fish is pretty small and only 2 of the five can be flats.

It too bad that the IOWA DNR doesn't work the fisheries better...but with the current mindset It would take Decades to get the fishery to the level of MN.... They think its probably easier to let them come up to MN and hammer on that one. They would need to do away with the commercial fishing in Iowa also.

Welcome

3. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    For as long as I can remember my uncles who lived in Minn were appauled that we eat catfish. Seems that they thought some of those other fish that minn is famous for are better eating --not only that the catfish feeds off the bottom.(yuck)
    So if cats wern't fished for for lets say the last 100 years there are probably are more of them.
    So before you begin claiming more fish because of laws you better look into history a little better.
    Have a good 1
    just

4. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    You do have a point that people in MN don't eat as much catfish as us Iowans. But there are also a ton of fisheries studies that have conclusively shown that size limits and decreased possession limits have protected and improved a variety of fisheries including catfisheries.

If trotlines and ditty poles were legal in MN, there would be lines out 24/7 from Redwood Falls to Burnsville for the whole catfish season, just like the Des Moines River. It's true that years of overharvest of large catfish can't be undone overnight, but if you guys started now, you wouldn't have to drive to MN anymore to have a reasonable shot at catching a respectable catfish. And when I say this, I don't mean it as a potshot against Iowa fisherman or anything...I just think the Iowa DNR could learn a few lessons, thats all....

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  5. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hey Buddy! Just started reading this forum a couple of weeks ago.

6. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Thanks Ben, it's all true. Not many people have been both places so comparisons are few. Unfortunately, even if the limit was one, a lot of people eat just one! Also, I'd guess 1/2 of the fishermen here fish the border rivers or real close to them and they're less apt to seeming overharvested due to the amount of water available. That just leaves a few of us interior river fishermen. Most not disgruntled enough to take action. The Iowa regs are outdated and ridiculous.

Bob, every time I see one of your posts it seems half arguement half insult. I don't understand your motivation. I can't see how you could argue that if the regs limited the take of big fish that there wouldn't be more of them. There isn't even anything to argue there.

7. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Sometimes I think the regs suck, but there is a lot of pressure on MN fisheries. In a way I'm glad of the size limits, and slot limits on some fish. I like catfish, but so many kids grew up fishing for bullheads that they are tired of them, and figure catfish is just a big bullhead.

I agree it ain't walleye, or crappie but when I bring it home it don't last but a week and its all gone. My wife is a good cook too. The worst thing about MN water is if I caught a big fish it would be so full of pollution I sure wouldn't eat it. I'd like to catch some tho.

We can use 2 rods with 2 hooks I think on MN/IA border waters but I haven't fished em yet. Not sure about the Mississippi river by WI or the St Croix but I like the regs on the Red river with ND, can fish in the river or either shore with either license. I'm hopin to get to a tournament there next year.

8. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I'm not saying more fish... I'm saying larger fish... More fish would also be a side effect of a 100 year no fish rule, but that will never happen.
    I'm all for following the Regs.... But there unfortunately have been enough instances of individuals coming across the boarder looking to fill coolers.... Some get caught some don't. (I'm sure this happens with MN people as well) The laws in this state are there to discourage filling freezers.... thus allowing a shot for everyone to catch a trophy or numbers and even have a meal in the process.
    I'm not a C.O. and I'm not here to police people, but as with many others on this site. Our job is to promote the up and coming sport of catfishing in a responsible manner.
    All I can ask is that they follow the rules, of the state they are fishing in.... Not the state that they are from.

9. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa

Q/,,,
    Bob, every time I see one of your posts it seems half arguement half insult. I don't understand your motivation. I can't see how you could argue that if the regs limited the take of big fish that there wouldn't be more of them. There isn't even anything to argue there.[/QUOTE]

I don't see how my posts are insulting.
    FWIW I cannot see how so many of you experts feel the real experts at the DNR are so wrong.
    I'm guessing here but I'll bet not more than a couple of you guys have any education on fisheries. Yet you have no qualms in saying the dnr is not doing its job.
    You want to catch bigger fish so the cure is to keep those who want/need (read unemployed or making $7.25 an hour or just want to save money on groceries ) to fill their freezer with fish??? Hmmm whats wrong here?

Have a good 1
    just

10. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    FWIW I cannot see how so many of you experts feel the real experts at the DNR are so wrong.
    I'm guessing here but I'll bet not more than a couple of you guys have any education on fisheries. Yet you have no qualms in saying the dnr is not doing its job.
    You want to catch bigger fish so the cure is to keep those who want/need (read unemployed or making $7.25 an hour or just want to save money on groceries ) to fill their freezer with fish??? Hmmm whats wrong here?

Have a good 1
    just[/QUOTE]

Were all entitled to our opinions Mate....unemployed or underpaid..... if they are willing to risk breaking the law and paying fines that is their decision....
    The regs are in place for a reason... that is to protect the fisheries for us and more important for our children and grand kids.
    Unfortunately.... this is not the good ol days.... if everyone decided to exploit the resources for their own reasons/gain there would be nothing left for anyone to enjoy...
    When it comes to CPR, I'm completely failing to see the correlation between me/ or anyone else wanting to catch bigger fish thus starving/or stopping some individual from saving some coin???
    Do it within the regulations, so everyone can have a share.

11. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Bob, sarcasm doesn't come across well on the internet. So when you say things like "you experts" and you're obviously being sarcsatic, it is insulting to the people honestly having a discussion. You could also point out who the "real experts at the DNR" are, because I don't have blind faith that they really care about trophy catfishing. I don't think anyone claimed to "have any education in fisheries" but yet there's a lot of knowledge posted here from passionate people who concentrate on just a few species of fish rather than all fish and wildlife in general. While you're on this website with so much information to offer, why waste time being the heckler?

12. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    as soon as I finish my senior year and get my biology degree I plan to join the dnr team and my first goal is to start a petition for more strict regulations for catfishing and more patrols to catch individuals illegally fishiing especially on the rivers because they check the lakes regularly. I have been checked two time this year and that was at big creek and saylorville which are popular lakes. Not once have I seen a dnr officer on any river any place I've fished. But until that time comes I think we should all get together and start something now. :angry:I saw different 3 people today trying to net shad and ended up netting a flathead a couple of wipers and a good sized walleye and very quickly put them in a bucket and drive off.:angry:

13. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA

Have a good 1
    just[/QUOTE]

Bro.... Your just not seeing the whole picture!... And I dont think you will..The glass is not always half empty!!!!:wink: But good luck and god bless

14. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    There's no need to pit this discussion against the "educated" vs the "uneducated". I don't have any more formal education in fisheries than anyone else. What I do have, though, is a 15 year stack of In Fisherman's on my toilet (the wife loves this!) and some 20 odd years of catching fish and talking to people that catch fish.

I understand people wanting to catch fish and fill their freezers and, trust me, I've been in some dire financial situations myself. But I really don't understand the resistance to suggesting that the Iowa DNR's approach to cafish management might be a bit off. Last time I checked, most government entities weren't on the cutting edge of anything other than raising taxes and wasting money!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  15. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    Personally I think our friend in Minnesota is correct. we in Iowa have had to put up with alot of crap over catfish,
    Bass fishermen
    crappie fishermen
    walleye fishermen
    and last but not least the complete distruction of the Missouri river for agricultural use.

to all the farmers out there shame on you

16. Iablue

Iablue New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Well, I wouldn't know an expert from a non-expert on this site if I tried. Words seem to make most folk experts anyway. One thing I do know or maybe two is that a 5 cat limit at home would certainly put a kink in a family fish fry. And I drive 5 hrs to fish in the Mankato area several times a year and really enjoy that area. I have a Minnesota & Iowa fishing license so I take advantage of Minnesota's laws. Such as 100 bullheads per day!!!! They are of the catfish family and those from up there are some of the best eating around not to mention their size. I would take one of those over a channel anyday. When I mention bullheads in that area, I have to check my shorts and take a snif to see if something is wrong!!! Folk slip away with a stange look on their faces. Oh well their loss.
    In ending this bit of dribble, I'm glad that I won't be around in another 10-20 yrs to see what will become of fishing and hunting. I think, yes, I think that some of the young do-gooders, without thinking of the ramifications, are going to screw up these sports to the point that pursuing them won't be worth it. And it is a crying shame that others won't be able to do and see what I have been able to, in these great sports.

17. rippinlips

rippinlips New Member

State:
    iowa
    AMEN

18. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota

Is this a shot at my point in this thread? And if not, why bring it up?

Some of the people who have had heavy influence on the MN catfish laws aren't "young do-gooders", but rather old do-gooders guys like Al Lindner and Doug Stange...guys who understand that it takes decades to grow a nice flathead. .....

And there's no doubt that others won't be able to do and see what the old time Iowa catters did, because all those old time Iowa catters threw everything they caught in their truckbeds. But they can come to Mankato to experience it I suppose...

19. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Were all entitled to our opinions Mate....unemployed or underpaid..... if they are willing to risk breaking the law and paying fines that is their decision....
    The regs are in place for a reason... that is to protect the fisheries for us and more important for our children and grand kids.
    Unfortunately.... this is not the good ol days.... if everyone decided to exploit the resources for their own reasons/gain there would be nothing left for anyone to enjoy...
    When it comes to CPR, I'm completely failing to see the correlation between me/ or anyone else wanting to catch bigger fish thus starving/or stopping some individual from saving some coin???
    Do it within the regulations, so everyone can have a share.[/QUOTE]

20. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    [/QUOTE]

Don't know what happened with that double post but anyway

Well Mate LOL I think some of what you say is right.

You are right. The regulations are already there to protect the fisheries.
    No reason to change them except to calm a few doomsdayers down.
    You are right about this not being the good old days.
    Most of those boats you see on the river are pleasure boaters.Not fishermen. They run at full speed not paying attention ( or not careing ) who is near. I've seen them in stump fields pulling skiers.
    I just attended a trapping convention and one comment made by a DNR official is, I feel, pertinent here as well. I'm paraphrasing : He said keep on trapping those coon. Its good for the coon population and keeps down distemper and parvo.

Those big fish you guys think you are saving are just big fat polluted fish. They have sucked in polluted river water for many years. Eaten sick polluted fish for just as long.

Some of the folks that frequent this site are deer hunters I'm sure.
    Ask them how the deer population is doing. They are hunted for meat and as a trophy.
    There ain't no CPR in that sport. But just look at how many Boone and Crockett records or near records are taken each year.

If you want to save the big fish just ban the sonar fish finders.
    Have a good 1
    just

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009